Writer's Tools - Looking for recommendations

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Writer's Tools - Looking for recommendations

Post by aliasmask »

I'm looking to write an indepth story and MS words is just not cutting it. Can anyone recommend a free tool to help keep track of story points, NPCs and other details as I think of them. For example, the buildings in a town and who works there.

After looking at the community page there is TreePad. This is kind of what I was doing in Word using the outline tool. I'll have to look at it to see if there is any cross referencing.

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Writer's Tools - Looking for recommendations

Post by taustinoc »

I've never really used it, but Masterplan at http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/ is designed to do what you want.

Another option that isn't free, but has a 30 day trial, is The Keep, from NBOS at http://www.nbos.com/products/the-keep

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

We just bought realmworks for a friend of mine for his birthday. I don't know it personally, but another friend suggested it as a present, might be worth looking into.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I've used Scrivener before. It's a writer's tool but lends itself to game plotting as well. It has folders and cork boards for rearranging items. I've included a few screen shots.
Overall2.jpg
Overall2.jpg (443.56 KiB) Viewed 965 times
binder.jpg
binder.jpg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 965 times
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “General Discussion”