Board Search Function & Common Words

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Deus X Machina
Kobold

Board Search Function & Common Words

Post by Deus X Machina »

While I try to find out different things about MapTool, the Search function is really handy.
Whats very annoying though, is that the Search is very eager to NOT search for a word, because it is "too common".
Unfortunatly, very "maptooly" words are affected by this. Recent examples are: "down" and "token".

Sadly this also happens, when there is one word that is not too common, where the additional words would help to shorten the list at least a bit. Example: I looked for "top down token".
The search function returned a LOT results with "top", while ignoring "down" and "token".

Does anone have a tip, how to force the search function to accept additional words, or how to formulate my searches better, so I get actual results?

[Or, I dare not to ask, might it be possible to have the search function replaced / reworked to give better results?]

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Board Search Function & Common Words

Post by aliasmask »

Perhaps if you use google and site:forums.rptools.net will help.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Deus X Machina wrote:While I try to find out different things about MapTool, the Search function is really handy.
Whats very annoying though, is that the Search is very eager to NOT search for a word, because it is "too common".
Unfortunatly, very "maptooly" words are affected by this. Recent examples are: "down" and "token".

Sadly this also happens, when there is one word that is not too common, where the additional words would help to shorten the list at least a bit. Example: I looked for "top down token".
The search function returned a LOT results with "top", while ignoring "down" and "token".

Does anone have a tip, how to force the search function to accept additional words, or how to formulate my searches better, so I get actual results?

[Or, I dare not to ask, might it be possible to have the search function replaced / reworked to give better results?]
To address the latter: forums like these are software packages, IRC under A yearly renewable license. So if you would like that functionality, you need to contact the software company that owns this forum software.

Deus X Machina
Kobold

Post by Deus X Machina »

Thanks, the hint with google helps a great deal.

And I guess I will write to the developer, the way the search function of this package works is really reducing its worth.
Thanks.

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

The common word search is a feature of phpBB (a free forum software written in php) and can be turned off in the settings of phpBB. I've never personally found it useful, but some do.

Return to “General Discussion”