Torchlight - Free Game download

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Torchlight - Free Game download

Post by aliasmask »

They're giving away this game through Arc. It's VERY diablo-like. It's a promo for their 2nd edition which they're selling for 75% off. It's only free until Sunday. I'm not sure when the 75% off offer ends.

If you install the Arc client you'll probably see the advertisement for Torchlight. Once you install, they send you an email with a redemption code. There's a link on the Torchlight client startup (says 120 min free play on page) that says something like enter redemption code. Enter code from email and you have a free game. I've been playing for the last 3 hours and I like it.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Torchlight - Free Game download

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:They're giving away this game through Arc. It's VERY diablo-like. It's a promo for their 2nd edition which they're selling for 75% off. It's only free until Sunday. I'm not sure when the 75% off offer ends.

If you install the Arc client you'll probably see the advertisement for Torchlight. Once you install, they send you an email with a redemption code. There's a link on the Torchlight client startup (says 120 min free play on page) that says something like enter redemption code. Enter code from email and you have a free game. I've been playing for the last 3 hours and I like it.
I've played it on the Xbox... it's a pretty good game.

But I can't stand installing all of these front-end clients (back-ends?) on your computer to get these things. Those things act very much like spyware. There is Steam, Green Man Gaming, Origin, and now Arc... and I'm probably missing half a dozen others.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I've had Arc installed on my computer for awhile now back when I was playing Neverwinter. It wants to default to tray on start up, but you can just uncheck that box and just play the games when you want by clicking the shortcut. No big deal. I did run across a small bug. I killed a guy on the 3rd level of mines before getting the quest and now I can't complete it. I'm hoping once I get to a certain level it'll just offer his next quest.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:I've had Arc installed on my computer for awhile now back when I was playing Neverwinter. It wants to default to tray on start up, but you can just uncheck that box and just play the games when you want by clicking the shortcut. No big deal.
This is some of the sort of thing I'm talking about: http://jd-forum.perfectworld.com/showth ... p?t=646561

The terms of use of these front ends are full of evasive and invasive language.

To quote some of the language in the ARC ToS (from the linked site above):
Personal information may be collected....or example, we may collect your name, address, email address, user name and other contact and demographic information when you register and set up an account, apply for a job, or contact us by email or other means for any reason...When you make a purchase, we may also collect your credit card or other payment or billing information... Personal and demographic information may also be collected if you provide such information in connection with creating a profile or group, leaving comments, posting content, sending an email or message to another user or participating in any interactive chat rooms, forums, social media platform or other features on the Website or Service, or when you use our Games. In addition, from time to time we may collect demographic, contact or other personal information you provide in connection with your voluntary participation in surveys, sweepstakes, contests, games, promotional offers, and other activities. You can access certain portion of our Service without providing us with any personal information....When you use the Service, some information is also automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser or mobile device type and language, access times, the address of a referring website, and your activity on the Service. We also use website analytics tools on our Service to retrieve information from your browser or mobile device, including the site you came from, the search engine(s) and the keywords you used to find our site, the pages you view within the Service, your browser add-ons, and your browser’s width and height and other information...and we collect information about page views on these third party sites as well...By using the Service you agree that we may automatically collect certain information through the use of “cookies” and/or clear gifs...We may also use third parties to serve ads on our Website. These third parties may place cookies, clear gifs or other devices on your computer to collect information, and information provided by these devices may be used, among other things, to deliver advertising....When you access the Service by or through a mobile device we may use, access, collect, monitor and/or remotely store one or more “device identifiers,” such as a universally unique identifier (“UUID”)....A device identifier may convey information to us about how you browse...When you access the Service by or through a mobile device, we may use, access, collect, monitor and/or remotely store “location data,” which may include GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device....We may share personal information with vendors, consultants and other service providers (“Service Providers”) such as our credit card processor and our Live Chat vendor who are engaged by or working with us in connection with the operation of the Service and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us....You understand that when you communicate with other players within a game or utilize any interactive features available on the Website, such as instant messaging, forums or chat rooms, such communications and postings are transmitted through our servers, and we may, but are not obligated to, monitor all such communications and postings, including those that are designated as “private”, as far as laws and regulations enables us to do this.
Seems excessive, unwarranted, and unnecessary to facilitate the installation of a game.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Big fan of Torchlight 1 & 2.

Not so sure about Arc though. I bought through Steam (not a fan of that either ;) )

Return to “General Discussion”