New Router, looking for input regarding Maptools

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Magrus
Kobold

New Router, looking for input regarding Maptools

Post by Magrus »

Hey there, it's Cyber Monday and I am looking at deals on new routers. I've got this PoS that has been in the way of me hosting a Maptools server for years from my ISP. Had a heart to heart in the middle of the night a few weeks ago with one of the techs at my ISP and it seems as though despite all of our efforts, my router they gave me is the likely culprit. So just asking the community if they have a preference here of routers for their Maptool Server needs here.

I am still using Maptools 1.89, participated in the kickstarter for Mote, and testing that out, but it looks like it won't be stable for a *while*. So, on the assumption that what is good for Maptools is good for Mote, and if not *shrug* Maptools has worked for me in all other aspects for years. Are there routers out there you folks prefer? Some you would avoid? I purchased a cheap Link-sys model years back, but never used it, ended up handing it off to a friend in need. Outside of that, just used what my ISP has given me, so clueless in the area and looking for some insight. Unfortunately, Maptools seems to not respond to my attempts to make things work with my router and internet, the only program to do so.

Hence, asking the community most familiar here for their preferred router choices. I'm likely to purchase one tonight. Input would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: New Router, looking for input regarding Maptools

Post by Jagged »

I recently-ish upgraded and I chose the ASUS RT-N66U. It was a bit more money that I had originally intended on spending (isn't that always the way) but it did tick all the boxes, including the optional ones. It has 4 LAN and 1 WAN Gb connectors, three aerials, two transmitters (2.4 & 5Ghz) and two usb connectors for network printers or storage.

I was particularly concerned about Mac compatibility. Not sure why Airpoint had trouble with my previous router, but lots of the reviews I read used Macs and iPhones and reported extremely good connectivity with the RT-N66U and I can confirm that my experience is the same.

The UI is nice and clear, fixing IP addresses and setting up port forwarding was obvious and straight forward. The reviews I read did say the dynamic firmware update wasn't the most reliable, but I only do firmware updates by downloading the update first, so I haven't tried that. Normal firmware update process worked fine. It has given me zero problems so far (bought in July).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Try using UPnP checkbox and change your port number to 51235 and see if that works.

Magrus
Kobold

Post by Magrus »

Thanks Jagged. Good to know about the Asus, haven't hard good or bad about the company prior to your message there.

@AliasMask, I've tried things like that. From what I understand, its just my router being a POS and incompatible. Hence, looking into replacement options. It's just a cheap thing my ISP purchased in bulk when the company folded. Why they chose to buy a warehouse full of routers from a company that went bankrupt and send it to all of their customers is beyond me, obviously a silly idea. Looking into just various options and whether folks have had issues with specific routers from the folks here or not.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

If you don't mind refurbs, here is a good router for a cyber monday deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833122615
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Magrus
Kobold

Post by Magrus »

Thanks man.

I decided to go for this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =D700-2660 Great deal, and a few comments stating that it works for them as long as you don't screw with firmware updates or the USB functions. Which I don't need. Just need a wireless router that isn't from a company that folded for making crappy defective routers lol. $75 for a $240 router isn't bad. Broke my bank with the other stuff I got this weekend, but setting myself with a x2 1 TB external drive bay to house stuff for maptools/campaigns and a HDMI cable to run to my 32 inch TV for a secondary monitor to go with the new router. Going to make a fort with my new gear and crank out tokens until my eyes bleed and such after new years. >.<

Return to “General Discussion”