& So Forth

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

cubeblue
Cave Troll

& So Forth

Post by cubeblue »

I just wanted to let you know about my blog where I'm mostly talking about D&D 5E, but occasonally going to bring up topics more central to my MapTool games.

& So Forth
& So Forth a blog about dungeons & dragons & so forth. With a particular eye for virtual table-top play, 5e, and OSR themes.

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: & So Forth

Post by RPTroll »

Always glad to have another blogger on the forums. Feel free to post to the Facebook and G+ communities in my sig when you post a new article.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

Thanks! I my latest post is about my 5e MapTool setup (and to some extent, VTTs in general):

https://medium.com/so-forth/maptool-a-v ... 7d41219688
& So Forth a blog about dungeons & dragons & so forth. With a particular eye for virtual table-top play, 5e, and OSR themes.

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

Have you released that Framework? It looks amazing.

Tanthos
Giant

Post by Tanthos »

cubeblue wrote:Thanks! I my latest post is about my 5e MapTool setup (and to some extent, VTTs in general):

https://medium.com/so-forth/maptool-a-v ... 7d41219688

Aaaaaaand... followed. :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Your code looks really clean, but I was wondering if you're using UDFs (Wiki: defineFunction())? I also notice you're using html comments to suppress output which actual increases your stack usage. Using UDFs and setting output to 0 will fix that. I use a custom output macro that uses Wiki: broadcast() for all my output.

I also have a drop-in called RPEdit that makes updating macros to a lib easier. I see that all your macros are in separate text files. You may want to check out the link in my signature. It makes updating a bit faster.

From your link, I really like how clean your framework looks. I don't play 5e, but if I ever do I'll be sure to check yours out first.

Tanthos
Giant

Post by Tanthos »

aliasmask wrote:From you link, I really like how clean your framework looks. I don't play 5e, but if I ever do I'll be sure to check yours out first.
Seriously. This is beautiful work. :shock:

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

Thanks everyone. I will release what I have completed later once I've got it a little more streamlined and easier to explain to other users.

Right now I only have a few abilities and spells coded up, enough for my four players and a few dozen monsters. But I do have template files that make the creation of _most_ abilities and spells pretty simple.

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

aliasmask wrote:Your code looks really clean, but I was wondering if you're using UDFs (Wiki: defineFunction())? I also notice you're using html comments to suppress output which actual increases your stack usage. Using UDFs and setting output to 0 will fix that. I use a custom output macro that uses Wiki: broadcast() for all my output.
I am using UDFs for most things. Most of my macro functions are saved in separate text files on my system just for reference, but they're in their own macros on a Lib:token in a separate "Library" map that forms the foundation of the campaign. Almost all of the macro buttons you see in the interface are just calls to those UDFs.

I wasn't aware the html comments affected the stack, but that's very good to know! I basically hate typing [h: over and over again (though it's a pretty simple find and replace I guess), and just have the setting toggled in MapTool to make [] default to [h:]. I'm not even sure the html comment bits are doing very much but possibly hiding error output. It's just an old standard I started using when I first started coding MT stuff back around the time 4e came out.

I'm nto sure what you mean by setting output to 0? I'm interested in knowing what that means and anything I can do to reduce the stack size. I've certainy run up against stack size hogging a few times and one of my aims with this, my third major framework to be built ground-up, is to focus on keeping it fast and simple and thin, ideally.
aliasmask wrote:I also have a drop-in called RPEdit that makes updating macros to a lib easier. I see that all your macros are in separate text files. You may want to check out the link in my signature. It makes updating a bit faster.

From your link, I really like how clean your framework looks. I don't play 5e, but if I ever do I'll be sure to check yours out first.
I will definitely check out RPEdit. Thanks!

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

Also, I have a lot of other stuff I want to share that's tangential to the framework code itself, and could be used in other frameworks or campaigns. But I don't know where best to host it all.

I have literally thousands of fantasy tokens I created in TokenTool over the years, all formatted to the same standards with the same dark silvery token bevel, all of them set to 100px grid size for medium creatures by default, but can scale down pretty well to 50px grid. Larger creatures are at 200 and 300px etc. All organized and named usefully.

I also have a ton of simple, custom state icons which could be useful, covering all the major obvious conditions for Pathfinder and 5e and several spells.

So, I'm sure some of that will be shared soon and hopefully people get some use from that until the framework is in a more share-ready state. I'm always improving it and fixing little things here and there, and I don't want to get into the situation where I have to worry about and document every little change in order for other people to be able to painstakingly upgrade their campaigns to newer versions of the framework. That's just a level of overhead I'd hate to be responsible for.

Tanthos
Giant

Post by Tanthos »

We used to have a gallery around here, but then some internet bad news happened. I believe (and would be much obliged if) you can post to the User Creations page with .zip files.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

cubeblue wrote:I will definitely check out RPEdit. Thanks!
I have 2 tokens you should download here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 81#p255459

One is RPEdit and the other is a generic lib token where onCampaignLoad makes all the macros on it in to UDFs and suppresses all the output. It also includes output.basic to use in your macros to generate output. It's has more options like "owner" for people who own the token and gm and "other" for everyone else.

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

FYI,

I've shared my massive token collection here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25845

and my custom states here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25844

Return to “General Discussion”