Advertising on RPTools.net

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Should we allow advertising on the rptools.net site?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 am

Yes - a little income to pay for the web site is fine
100%
No - money makes people weird. The site should be funded by donations
No votes

Total votes: 26

RPTroll
TheBard

Advertising on RPTools.net

Post by RPTroll »

All,

As you know we're an all volunteer group. We don't sell any of these products. It's all pretty much a labor of love.

That said, we occasionally run into things that need hard/virtual cash. Web site hosting is one of those. Az is paying for that out-of-pocket now. Trevor bore that burden before him.

In the past, we've run the Wall of Features to let folks bid on the functionality to do next. Things got a little pissy during that time so we likely won't return to that model. We also have a donation button but it isn't used.

I'd like to know if anyone has an objection to doing a little advertising on the main site. We're not talking a lot of money, maybe $10 a month based on traffic and people's desire to click through to something like DriveThruRPG. That amount would cover web hosting and hopefully pay for some wordpress plugins to make the main site friendlier - I still have my eye on internationalization and some other niceties. The nice thing about a DriveThruRPG or other vendor link is that it doesn't cost RPTools or our community anything. If you use the vendor now, you donate by buying stuff. A small portion of the price, like 1-2%, is paid as a commission from the referring site.

I'm seeking community feedback as to whether this is a good or bad idea so please vote letting me know your preference.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Dervish
Giant

Re: Advertising on RPTools.net

Post by Dervish »

I do not have a problem with advertizing

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Please vote so we'll have a record.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There are so many advertisements all over the net already that I pretty much just tune them out. Just as long as there are no audio ads... hate those. If the ads are tailored to gaming then who knows, someone may buy something.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

aliasmask wrote:There are so many advertisements all over the net already that I pretty much just tune them out. Just as long as there are no audio ads... hate those. If the ads are tailored to gaming then who knows, someone may buy something.
audio, pop ups, persistent overlays, moving overlays, vids, etc. are killing. In terms of content I assume its rptools related, so nothing graphical (is that the correct term?). 'Normal' ads, like banners I have no problem with (vote added).

edit: have you considered a donation banner on top of the website. You know the one that wiki uses (and which I always donate). Set a goal and a donate button and pop it up when you visit this forum.

Netsky
Cave Troll

Post by Netsky »

heavily depends on the ad-type.
Not against it as long as I can hear my own thoughts over the ad-noise ;)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I regularly click through to RPG Drive Through from the External Links forum. If that was an advert and the forum got some pennies for that, I think that would be good.

In general I would be happy with forum appropriate adverts.

Tanthos
Giant

Post by Tanthos »

wolph42 wrote: have you considered a donation banner on top of the website. You know the one that wiki uses (and which I always donate). Set a goal and a donate button and pop it up when you visit this forum.
This.

A donation system with a public goal to meet makes a huge difference in whether people feel that their contributions are making a difference.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

As long as it's game related advertising and non obtrusive, I don't think advertising is a problem.

yshi
Kobold

Post by yshi »

No problem here, and I'll enable scripting on the site the next time I'm on (probably won't make a difference otherwise).

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

As most people here, as long as it's game related and simple I don't mind.

The donation banner would be worth a try though.

Jan van Leyden
Cave Troll

Post by Jan van Leyden »

No problem with the typical message board advertisements here. Regarding their game-relatedness: is that possible? I always assumed that some Google analytics provided the contents of the ads on a specific site. Why else would I be treated to Hamamatsu ads at ENWorld or RPG.net?

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden

Return to “General Discussion”