Recording Software

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Tanthos
Giant

Recording Software

Post by Tanthos »

Hey there guys. My group was talking about the possibility of having our play sessions recorded so we could go back and remember exactly what happened, as well as draw out some highlights. Does anybody else do this? If so, could you recommend software for me? There are a lot of options out there and I'd like to hear some of your opinions.

celestian
Dragon

Re: Recording Software

Post by celestian »

I would suggest using google hangouts. Start a "on air" call and call your friends.

You'll need to have 2 copies of maptools running. one for the DM and one to record unless you want to record from the DM perspective.

Use the "Screen Share" and share the "player" version of RPTools and then select your own avatar. Turn on recording and you can minimize that and go back to your version.

Once you're done and you turn off recording it will process the video and put it on your youtube channel.

Takes a bit of getting used to but it's pretty simple compared to other methods (IMO).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, I also recommend G+ hangouts on air. You'll have to link it to your youtube account and give a cell phone number if you already didn't do that in youtube. I actually don't have a cell phone and their FAQ says to just ask a friend to get the confirmation code when activating. That allows you to record for more than 15 minutes. Then you can record for, uh I'm not sure? I'm sure it says it somewhere on the site. I think I've seen on air recordings of 6 hours before. For basic stuff, the video editor is okay but if all you're doing is clipping I recommend just leaving it alone. Takes forever and I think the video quality goes down.

Tanthos
Giant

Post by Tanthos »

We've been using Skype for our voice communication during sessions. How's Hangouts for voice chat quality? (I imagine pretty good...) It'd be nice to combine the recording software with the talk software.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Very rarely does voice freak out like it does with skype. If it does, then the person usually has something wrong with their internet connection. Usually reconnecting solves it.

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

Tanthos wrote:We've been using Skype for our voice communication during sessions. How's Hangouts for voice chat quality? (I imagine pretty good...) It'd be nice to combine the recording software with the talk software.
Quality is pretty good. Now and then someone will have to disconnect/reconnect (easy to do) to clear up connection issues but not often enough to be a trouble.

As to duration it'll record, I've had some of my games be a little over 4 hours.

Toby
Giant

Post by Toby »

We have recorded (audio only) games via skype using iFree Skype Recorder. It works, mostly. Though I have noticed that occasionally when my PC is busy it will chop bits off of words.

Toby

prodyn
Kobold

Post by prodyn »

I'd recommend Open Broadcaster Software (OBS).

Open source, easy to use, and active development. It works for local recording and streaming online. You can view people streaming their sessions on Twitch, as an example, usually D&D games. [link]

Though mostly I've seen streamers using the R20 website for their session, I'll occasionally see an RPTools session here and there.

Return to “General Discussion”