HOWTO / HOWDOI: Create tokens with stats and not place them?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Remote.DM
Kobold

HOWTO / HOWDOI: Create tokens with stats and not place them?

Post by Remote.DM »

I'm jumping back and forth through the wiki, and I'm not finding my answer. I've either missed it entirely, or probably just skimmed too quick to notice it on a page...

I have a folder, /tokens/players, where I keep all the tokens I made with TokenTool. When I drag them onto any map, they have no notes, properties, or anything else. I know how to fill out those fields, once the token is on the field.

What I'd like to do is to create a token, with all those fields filled out, and then drop them onto a map, ready to go. This would help especially for repeat tokens (Orc Warrior 1-15, say), so I don't have to copy-paste everything into each carbon token. This is the part I can't figure out yet.

A fellow MapTools DM told me that he creates a blank map before his game starts, and he puts ALL THE TOKENS!! there. Once all the tokens are in this dummy map, he adds stats, and then just copy-pastes to whatever combat map he wants at the time. While it's a fix, it's a bit cumbersome for my taste. I'm looking for a way to just drop a completed token from the Resource Library onto the map I'm viewing, instead of bouncing back and forth between maps, copy-and-pasting.

Is that a thing? And can you point me to a link that covers that process, since I've skipped it over in my searches?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: HOWTO / HOWDOI: Create tokens with stats and not place t

Post by Jagged »

Yes you can do this. What you need to do is create a local "Resource Library". Define a local directory on your PC and you can then save all your tokens into that directory for use in any game. The tokens should then be visible from the Resource Library window.

See here: Getting Images into your MapTool Resource Library

Remote.DM
Kobold

Post by Remote.DM »

Maybe I didn't communicate well. =\

I have a resource library. Full of tokens. When I drag them onto the map, they have no stats, notes, HP, or any of the bells and whistles that I want it to have.

When I drag it onto the map, THEN I can add all those good things. But that limits me to using those tokens only for that campaign, if I want to keep the stats. And, I have to copy/paste the tokens from map to map, because if I delete them, I don't think their stats stuck.

When I pull "Seife the Wizard" out of my resource library, how do I make sure he has stats applied before he ever touches the map?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

You need to right-click that token and "Save" it to your resource library. And you have to do that each time it changes stats.

Personally, I find it easier to save "PC's" and common NPC's on a dedicated map, and move them to that map when done for a given map or in downtime. Otherwise you move the same token from map to map to map.

For monsters, just stat them up, right-click and save. Then drag from your resource library for a "fresh" copy each time.
-Jamz

Remote.DM
Kobold

Post by Remote.DM »

Now I understand. That's exactly what I wanted to do.

It's an extra step, but it keeps me (in the long run) from having a map full of nothing but monsters to drag-and-drop. That is what I needed so very much.

Thanks a ton!

Return to “General Discussion”