How do I know I can use an image?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Green Eyed Liar
Kobold

How do I know I can use an image?

Post by Green Eyed Liar »

How do I know if an image I find online can be used for a map? I assume if I keep the map private, I can freely use any image.

What if I post a map to this forum or another site such as deviantart?

As an example, I found an image at Here My Tattoo. I then used that image in a map. Would it be illegal to now post the map here or another site?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: How do I know I can use an image?

Post by aliasmask »

Generally speaking, abide by the original author's wishes, never claim credit for something that is not yours and if asked to remove an image by the author do so. But many images fall under the fair use act, especially when using it in art (like creating a map). You still don't own the image even when heavily modified, but if you give credit, site your sources and say no copyright infringement intended you're mostly safe. There is plenty of image source material that allows you to use for personal, but not commercial and some even for commercial. I have a very nice Tarot Deck I use in my games but when I asked the original creator he said he sold it to some company and they say absolutely no publishing of any kind.

We list some image sources on the community page (bottom) that give you free non-commercial use of their images, but if in doubt, don't publish it. Posting copyright images on this site could get our site taken down and we don't want that. So, if you feel you must post it, post it on another site and feel free to link to it from here.

Return to “General Discussion”