Skype borked for Linux Users

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Skype borked for Linux Users

Post by Jagged »

So Skype on Linux appears to have broken :(

My group only discovered this last night, when one of my group who has been away for a couple of weeks, could not join last night's chat via his PC.

So since this seems to be a quickly changing market, I thought I would check out what people are using currently? For instance I tried Hangouts in the past, and it was inadequate for a group of 7 people, but I hear it has massively improved.

So what are people's current thoughts for a mixed tech group? Easy of use being of highest import.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Skype borked for Linux Users

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:So what are people's current thoughts for a mixed tech group? Easy of use being of highest import.
My group uses Oovoo, with Hangouts as a fall back.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Unfortunately ooVoo is not supported on Linux and they say it is not on their product road-map :(

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

We use GoToMeeting, but mostly because I have access to the expensive account through work at no cost to me. It does, however, work very well.

Netsky
Cave Troll

Post by Netsky »

if you don't need video, you can always fall back to Mumble, Teamspeak, and so on

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

Discord is planning a Linux version.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Apparently, Microsoft hasn't updated Skype in about two years. They shopped doing so without notice. Then they updated the entire system to block Linux clients on February 22 of this year, again without notice. They won't respond to inquires on the subject. Paying customers using Linux are rather upset about it.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Interesting. I played on March 23rd with Skype on Linux and didn't have an issue. You can also fall back to your mobile phone with Skype. Android is still supported. :D
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

skotkolr
Kobold

Post by skotkolr »

zigged when he should have zagged.

Return to “General Discussion”