Preview Images load slowly and dont save

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Hargert
Kobold

Preview Images load slowly and dont save

Post by Hargert »

I have been using Maptools for years and while I must say please give the option to go back to where it would save the previews once they loaded. Normally jump back and forth to different things and this drags things to a crawl. Even using windows explorer is not ideal as it takes up screen space that is at a premium.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Preview Images load slowly and dont save

Post by aliasmask »

I have to agree with you. It was supposed to fix an issue with caching images shown in wrong folder and perhaps to free up some memory space. Clicking a new folder then going back would resolve it, but since the "fix" they no longer cache the thumbnails and it's a far bigger pain now. The easiest solution is to just use Windows Explorer to move images on to the map.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I haven't used this in the newer versions... but I thought that the size of the cached images was just increased?

What's the current behaviour? And in what version?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Correct, the image cache only cache's images under a certain size. This was and is the current logic but the size was increased. The window can view larger images now.

And really, it is ONLY caching the thumbnail so it doesn't have to redo that work. Obviously it is silly to store a 100x100 thumbnail for an Image that is 50x50.

Additionally, it has to search the cache dir and the image dir every... single...time. The more images in your cache dir the longer this takes so there is a point where to many files in your cache is a negative performance.

With that said, there was a bug with the status bar refreshing and counting that dir to often causing performance issues.

Without version info I can't tell you any more other than try throwing more memory or turning max memory off when you are prepping.
-Jamz

Hargert
Kobold

Post by Hargert »

I am using the latest version 1.4.1.8 and I have been playing online for 10 years now with a weekly game so I have a very large library of resources. I have a very robust system with plenty of memory so if there is a setting I can change to help matters that would be great.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I can't find it right now... but wasn't there some issue with clearing the previous cache in order to get the new one to work properly?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

1.4.1.8 *should* have to cache update fix... Curious, how large is your cache? You can try clearing it and see it it helps.

@Fullbleed, yes, you can double-click the thumbtack on the status bar to 'clear the cache' (or the safe to clear asset cache).

Edit: I can't find the fix posted right now so maybe it's not? Before clearing your cache, if you want to install my nerps version and test and see if that clears the issue...(you can then uninstall/reinstall 1.4.1.8 to roll back).
-Jamz

Return to “General Discussion”