Can someone help me set this up? Id really apreciate it

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Can someone help me set this up? Id really apreciate it

Post by aliasmask »

Vigabrand wrote:So us 257 as big as it will get?
Depends on the memory allocated in your start up. I usually set it for 2048. What will happen is images will be cached up to around your max minus some percent. This is when the garbage collection takes place removing the oldest cached images. Generally speaking staying on the same map and not adding any new images the cache will remain the same. Having a small amount of memory allocated just makes the program reload images more often and really big images may not be able to display.

Vigabrand
Kobold

Post by Vigabrand »

How do you set it for more?

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Vigabrand wrote:How do you set it for more?
In the launcher (launcher.versionnumbe.jar). You are using the launcher to start MapTool, right? If not, you get the default settings for Java, which are pitifully inadequate.

In the launcher, you'll see three text boxes below the logo, for max memory, minimum memory, and stack size. Minimum memory you don't generally need to worry about. Stack size, the experts recommend 3 instead of 2. Don't go much higher, or you get bad things.

Max memory is trickier, especially if you're using Windows. If you're using 32 bit Windows, do not, under any circumstances set it to higher than about 1600, or MapTool will not launch. Better to never go above 1400, and 1024 is about as high as you can depend on being safe. This is because of how Windows handles memory, and how Java uses it.[1]

If you're using 64 bit Windows, you also need 64 bit Java, or you have the same memory restrictions. If you went to www.java.com and clicked on the big red button to install Java, you got 32 bit Java. There's a link below the "Agree and Start Download" button titled "Not the right operating system? See all Java downloads." that will get you to the 64 bit Java installer. Then, you can go to whatever memory is available, but generally, as aliasmask says, 2048 is plenty. (And if you're running a server, and the other players who connect to it have 32 bit Java, you can create a map that works fine on the server, but they get big red "X"s. Be aware of this.)

If the launcher doesn't work for you (which is rare, but happens), somebody here will explain how to create a batch file that will set the memory settings for you.

[1]If you're interested in the technical details, Java requires contiguous memory, and 32 bit Windows - and 32 bit applications on 64 bit Windows - cannot, ever, under any circumstances, allocate more than about 1.6 GB of contiguous memory, and what is available is often less, as little as 1.2 GB or even less). Because the launcher suppresses the black DOS window when it launches MapTool, you don't see the error message about being unable to allocate enough memory, so it's very, very confusing.

Vigabrand
Kobold

Post by Vigabrand »

Great, thanks a million everybody.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Vigabrand wrote:64 bit machine and 64 bit Java. My launcher doesn't work, the rptools site says they don't support launcher in the 1.4 versions which is what I have. I have done a ton of work on this map, if I drop versions to an earlier one will I have to start over?
i don't understand your message. What do you mean with 'don't support launcher' ?? cause it *does* support the launcher.
It is possible in rare ocasions that the launcher doesn't work though. In that case you need to run a batch file. I keep however misplacing my own version of the .bat so you have to dig around a bit on this forum to find it.
Alternatively you can go to the announcement section and download the latest dev version

Vigabrand
Kobold

Post by Vigabrand »

If you go to the launcher tab it says due to security issues they stopped supporting it. I noticed when I updated my java to 64 bit the memory tracker jumped to around 600MB so maybe it just auto scales or something.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Vigabrand wrote:If you go to the launcher tab it says due to security issues they stopped supporting it. I noticed when I updated my java to 64 bit the memory tracker jumped to around 600MB so maybe it just auto scales or something.
ah *that* launcher. ok miscom. What we meant is the launcher that comes with the download version!!

Vigabrand
Kobold

Post by Vigabrand »

Ok, I've got that one. It's really small in comparison to the maptool.jar and it doesn't run when I click on it. I went to the launcher tab to redownload it thinking it had corrupted during install. Maybe I will download the maptool.zip again and see if it doesn't cone out better.

Vigabrand
Kobold

Post by Vigabrand »

Ok, heres another one. If I have the map set to night time, it runs super slow. Moving a token or anything takes several seconds. It almost seems to freeze. What am I doing wrong on that one?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

How many light sources do you have and how many tokens? (fyi, tokens with Darkvision count as a "lightsource")

Too many light sources can kill MT I find (more so than a lot of VBL). Also, I found if you have a lot of tokens on the map that can see, it can kill performance. (alot meaning, I had around 200).

Whats the performance if you set it to Day? This should tell you if it's VBL or Light sources... And are you using token vbl at all and id so how much? Here's a tip, if you want to see what hurts performance on your map, save a test version then delete about half the tokens and see if it improves. Delete another half and see. Then reload, delete half your VBL, test, delete another half, etc. Finally, start killing light sources and see what happens (hint, use Map Explorer to quickly find/select/delete them).

Given performance varies by hardware specs, you need to find what your PC can handle. For instance, I have a core I7 with 48GB of ram, I generally have no issue with your typical pathfinder module size worth of tokens/vbl/light. But I have to cut memory down to 4gb max or my friends PC's when they connect are extremely slow as they don't have the same memory...
-Jamz

Vigabrand
Kobold

Post by Vigabrand »

On the big map theirs a lot of light sources, theirs a huge amount of tokens but none with vision other than players. If I switch it to day it runs like a champ, I was really hoping there would be a way to fix it because I built things so the light would play into it.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Yea, unfortunately light is killer on performance. About the only thing you can do is (assuming this is a dungeon style map) is to turn on the lights off and then only turn the lights on that are needed where the PC's are/could see. You will have to play around to see how many lights you can safely get away with.

You could build some simple macros like "Room 1" "Room 2" etc that toggle the lights in the room on/off. OR you could create a single macro like:

[h: setLight("D20", "Torch - 20", !hasLightSource())]

Which just toggle the light on/off. If you name all the light source tokens as : "-Light - Room x" or such and put them on the object layer, via map explorer you should be able to quickly group select them and toggle lights on/off.
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Another option is to have a macro turn a light on and off as you need them.

Return to “General Discussion”