Token encounter setup

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

karrel
Kobold

Token encounter setup

Post by karrel »

hello,
i saw some place a GM had it set so that when he moved a token on his map it rolled to see if the party got an encounter or not.
I created a table but can not figure out how to set the token up. I am using Bag o Tricks as my base maptool data base.

I pick the token i want
I have a table set up called random
I need it so when i move the token on the map it checks to see if an encounter happens by rolls on the table

any help plz.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Token encounter setup

Post by wolph42 »

your request is really really vague.

So before I'll answer it let me give my assumption of your message, if its correct then me or someone else can actually answer your question.

1. you select a SPECIFIC token e.g. its called 'Check Encounters' (so NOT a pc or npc)
2. when you drag that token 'Check Encounters' then automatically an encounter roll is made and if its positive an encounter result is randomly grabbed from a table you created.
(the above is possible!!)

Assuming the above is the correct assumption, additional questions:
- would the distance you drag that 'check encounters' token be of influence on the chance on an encounter ?? (also possible)
- the 'result encounter' is that a message in the chat or is that an actual token (or tokens) appearing on the map at the position of 'check encounters' ?
(both are again possible)

let us known.

karrel
Kobold

Post by karrel »

ok the token would be called party, and it would be placed on a world map to indecate where the party is at on siad map.
When the token is moved on this map it would simply tell the GM if an encounter happens or not [no other tokens appear]
for each hex moved it would check to see if an encounter happens.
I have a simple table set up like this:
1 = encounter
2-5 = nothing
6 = encounter
the table is called random. I am using Bag of Tricks framework. I am having trouble with making the token setup.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Everything Wolph says can be done.

But, really, this is seriously over-complicating a simple random encounter roll.

Just make a macro called "Random Encounter Roll" and throw it on the "Party" token. Move the token, and then click the macro when you want to check for a random encounter. Chances are you aren't always going to want to roll a random encounter anyway.

Code: Select all

[table("random")]
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Full Bleed wrote:Everything Wolph says can be done.

But, really, this is seriously over-complicating a simple random encounter roll.

Just make a macro called "Random Encounter Roll" and throw it on the "Party" token. Move the token, and then click the macro when you want to check for a random encounter. Chances are you aren't always going to want to roll a random encounter anyway.

Code: Select all

[table("random")]
This is probably your best way to go. Besides, in most game systems, it's more of a factor of "time" vs "distance" for random encounters. I have players who move the token 10 feet, then over 10, back 10, over 5, then up 30. Either because FoW or just poor mouse skills. Does that warrant 5 checks?

NOW, if you were having it roll a "Perception" check or something to see if said token notices or is noticed by tokens, that's another ball of wax. It can be done for sure but it's a few lines of code...
-Jamz

Return to “General Discussion”