RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:10 am 






Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Author Message
User avatar  Offline
Deity
 
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:31 pm
Posts: 5412
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:26 pm 
heruca wrote:

Yes, I'd thought of non-wall usage of masks, and I think the opportunities are tremendous. Forget about just providing a "replacement" for Dundjinni, this could conceivably eclipse DJ. And I hope that doesn't come across as pretentious or boastful. I just see so much possibility here! Masks are essentially just very precisely-defined brushes and stamps, if you think about it. Blending different textures together, like where grass meets a road, can be achieved fairly realistically with very little effort on the part of the user, if a good mask is provided.

I hadn't given much thought to how elevation changes will be marked, but I suppose using semi-transparent overlays over a base texture might do the trick.

As for Linux, unfortunately my development environment won't compile native code for that platform. MapForge should run under Wine and using Virtualbox, but I know that's not ideal.


Bummer about Linux, but I understand(I have a Windows XP on Virtualbox, so hopefully it would work in that and if not, then WINE would at least be a suitable alternative(and I have Windows 7 on another partition, but it's a PITA to reboot just to use a windows instance.)


I don't know how much in depth knowledge you have with GIMP or PS, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me here or on CG.

Another thing I just thought of (one RobA put into his dungeon Script plugin for GIMP), would be a displacement filter for a mask. To explain, make a selection or mask and the displacement would make it a bit more fractalized using a cloud layer for the randomization. The idea here is for making an excavated room with slightly non rectangle/circular/etc walls. Of course, you could achieve some other means of fractalizing a mask shape. Example image with a BIT of the effect: https://www.cartographersguild.com/atta ... 1234485936 and the explanation of how it was done in GIMP : https://www.cartographersguild.com/show ... #post66947

I can say, the more options that would replace GIMP functionality, the more likely I might get behind and and purchase MapForge.

_________________
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 369
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:41 am 
jfrazierjr wrote:
Another thing I just thought of (one RobA put into his dungeon Script plugin for GIMP), would be a displacement filter for a mask. To explain, make a selection or mask and the displacement would make it a bit more fractalized using a cloud layer for the randomization. The idea here is for making an excavated room with slightly non rectangle/circular/etc walls. Of course, you could achieve some other means of fractalizing a mask shape. Example image with a BIT of the effect: https://www.cartographersguild.com/atta ... 1234485936 and the explanation of how it was done in GIMP : https://www.cartographersguild.com/show ... #post66947


THAT is very cool, thanks for the links!

_________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows & Mac OS X


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 369
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:09 pm 
Stretch Goal #3 has been unlocked! MapForge will now have NINE free content Add-Ons! That should help offset the modest cost of the software.

An Update will be posted tonight on the KS page to preview the 4 Add-Ons there were just unlocked.

The MapForge Kickstarter campaign now has well over 1000 backers, and 18 days remain.

_________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows & Mac OS X


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 369
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:43 pm 
I posted an Update regarding the 4 new free content packs.

I love that Vry has re-emerged from the darkness to provide some awesome new content for MapForge.

_________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows & Mac OS X


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Demigod
 
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:53 am
Posts: 3782
Location: MD
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:57 pm 
heruca wrote:
I love that Vry has re-emerged from the darkness to provide some awesome new content for MapForge.

Nice. He was a little ahead of the curve back in the day with regard to producing commercially viable assets and not having strong marketplaces to sell them on. Times have changed.

Maybe this will help vector him back into the industry. Of course, many of the "newer" participants in VTT's will think he's the "new kid on the block". ;)

_________________
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 369
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:06 pm 
He doesn't like to charge for his content, though I think if he were to pursue this, he'd do quite well.

_________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows & Mac OS X


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Cave Troll
 
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:57 am
Posts: 70
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:34 am 
jfrazierjr wrote:
heruca wrote:

Yes, I'd thought of non-wall usage of masks, and I think the opportunities are tremendous. Forget about just providing a "replacement" for Dundjinni, this could conceivably eclipse DJ. And I hope that doesn't come across as pretentious or boastful. I just see so much possibility here! Masks are essentially just very precisely-defined brushes and stamps, if you think about it. Blending different textures together, like where grass meets a road, can be achieved fairly realistically with very little effort on the part of the user, if a good mask is provided.

I hadn't given much thought to how elevation changes will be marked, but I suppose using semi-transparent overlays over a base texture might do the trick.

As for Linux, unfortunately my development environment won't compile native code for that platform. MapForge should run under Wine and using Virtualbox, but I know that's not ideal.


Bummer about Linux, but I understand(I have a Windows XP on Virtualbox, so hopefully it would work in that and if not, then WINE would at least be a suitable alternative(and I have Windows 7 on another partition, but it's a PITA to reboot just to use a windows instance.)


I don't know how much in depth knowledge you have with GIMP or PS, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me here or on CG.

Another thing I just thought of (one RobA put into his dungeon Script plugin for GIMP), would be a displacement filter for a mask. To explain, make a selection or mask and the displacement would make it a bit more fractalized using a cloud layer for the randomization. The idea here is for making an excavated room with slightly non rectangle/circular/etc walls. Of course, you could achieve some other means of fractalizing a mask shape. Example image with a BIT of the effect: https://www.cartographersguild.com/atta ... 1234485936 and the explanation of how it was done in GIMP : https://www.cartographersguild.com/show ... #post66947

I can say, the more options that would replace GIMP functionality, the more likely I might get behind and and purchase MapForge.


What doesn't work on linux?


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 369
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:16 am 
MapForge won't run natively on Linux, smaudet2.

_________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows & Mac OS X


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Cave Troll
 
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:57 am
Posts: 70
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:21 pm 
I figured that part out, what I don't know is if the program is junk (relies on some obscure runtime nobody uses) or if its jusy lazy devs. I see msvcrt and something called a dxr, which I've never seen before.

To me that sounds like it was created with some questionable quality toolkit that only exists on windows. Mac port may not be much more than a basatardized rendition of the same.

In that case, the program is dead to me...if somebody can explain what it runs on...

If you wonder why I think this way, a couple reasons, but one of them is developer mindset- if you're too lazy too do things properly I dont want to run your junk, for all I know its laced with custom malware.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Deity
 
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 am
Posts: 9427
Location: Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:27 pm 
@Smaudet: pls tow down your wording a bit please. I'm not saying that you are wrong (or right) but I am saying that your choice of words is leaning towards trolling.

_________________
GETTING STARTED WITH MAPTOOLS - TUTORIALS, DOCS, VIDEOS, TOOLS, ETC

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 369
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:50 pm 
smaudet2 wrote:
if somebody can explain what it runs on...

Mac OS X and Windows (probably XP through Win 10)

But I suspect you meant what it was created with. Adobe Director. You've heard of Adobe? They make great stuff like Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, Premiere...

_________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows & Mac OS X


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Cave Troll
 
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:57 am
Posts: 70
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:09 pm 
heruca wrote:
smaudet2 wrote:
if somebody can explain what it runs on...

Mac OS X and Windows (probably XP through Win 10)

But I suspect you meant what it was created with. Adobe Director. You've heard of Adobe? They make great stuff like Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, Premiere...


Ah. Yes, I am familiar with them, not with Director. That does explain a lot, though. I won't say more than this, because I don't want to be seen as trolling, but their products have a rep for being bloated, insecure, and unsupportable.

Let me say, Photoshop, is a decent product.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 369
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:17 pm 
Hey, at least I didn't use Flash, or Animate, or whatever they're calling it this month. :lol:

_________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows & Mac OS X


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Cave Troll
 
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:57 am
Posts: 70
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:40 pm 
I'm not an animator.

Power to all the animators who used Flash/Macromedia (I hear it was better then) to crank out animations quickly. My personal opinion is that it got asked to do way more than it should have been asked to do...and its runaway success as a cheap popular platform for building interactive media was its own undoing.

There is a line of products that Adobe is responsible for that don't warm the cockles of anybody's heart. Flash did good and bad. There are probably worse things you could be doing than using Director, I'm sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 369
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
 Post subject: Re: Trying to gauge interest in new battlemap-making softwar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:09 pm 
Two new Add-Ons announced, created by mapping veterans Bogie and Kepli. Both of the new Add-Ons allow for publishing and/or commercial use. That makes about 9 such Add-Ons.

_________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows & Mac OS X


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 243 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Style based on Andreas08 by Andreas Viklund

Style by Elizabeth Shulman