When I start a server, no one can connect to me

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

GoreJess
Kobold

When I start a server, no one can connect to me

Post by GoreJess »

First of all, I just want to throw out that I have minimum computer knowledge so please try to use elementary language. Thanks!

I have used MapTools many times before and hosting hasn't been an issue. But I got a new computer and now when someone tries to connect to my server they get the error: "java.net.ConnectExecution Connection Timed Out" error. I can connect to someone else hosting a server just fine. From the research I've attempted to do, I think it has something to with my ports? I went to canyouseemee.com and it couldn't see me, but I don't know how to fix that.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: When I start a server, no one can connect to me

Post by aliasmask »

First thing I would do is delete MapTool and re-install. I recommend version 1.4.1.7. Usually when you run for the first time Windows will ask you to confirm to allow access to the internet, say yes.

When you start a server make sure to check the box "Use PnP". Your default Port is 51234. See if that works. If not, then you have to access your router and set up UPnP or Port Forwarding. This is more complicated and dependent upon your router config which should be in some online manual. I would try the above first and come back here if it doesn't work. It would be helpful if you can give a model number of your router when you do so I can explain what to do next.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Chances are your new computer is configured to use DHCP for its IP address and has a different address then it had before. If you were using port-forwarding on your router to direct traffic to your old computers IP address that isn't working now.

Try the UPnP option and if that doesn't work use the Gather Debug Info option in the Help Menu and post the content in a reply.

McFuddy
Kobold

Post by McFuddy »

these are the stats for GoreJess

==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.4.1.8
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\McFuddy\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 910M
Max mem used...: 440M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=C:\Users\McFuddy\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Users\McFuddy\AppData\Roaming\JWrapper-MapTool\JWrapper-Windows64JRE-00053600256-complete
Java Version: 1.8.0_101
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 10
OS Version.....: 10.0
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Users\McFuddy\AppData\Roaming\JWrapper-MapTool\JWrapper-Windows64JRE-00053600256-complete\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\McFuddy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;;.
Number of Procs: 8

==== User Information ====
User Name: McFuddy
User Home: C:\Users\McFuddy
User Dir.: C:\Users\McFuddy\AppData\Roaming\JWrapper-MapTool\JWrapper-MapTool-00053648849-complete

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
Interface Name: wlan1
Address...: 192.168.1.9
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:48c2:56b5:50e9:aef6%wlan1

Host Address...: 192.168.1.9
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1920x1080(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: WNR2000v5 (Gateway)
Model Name..: RangeMax N300 Wireless Router
Manufacturer: NETGEAR, Inc.
Model Number: WNR2000v5
Model Desc..: NETGEAR WNR2000v5 RangeMax N300 Wireless Router
Firmware....: WNR2000v5 UPnP/1.0 miniupnpd/1.0
External IP.: 10.14.25.2

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Everything looks normal except your memory setting. I would just update the maxmem in the launcher to 2048, min default (64?), stack 4.

You didn't mention if you checked the UPnP when starting your server. If you don't use UPnP or it didn't work then I would look at this: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... ar2014.pdf

That is your manual. Go to Advanced Settings | Set Up Port Forwarding to Local Service, scroll down to Add Custom Service and follow the directions.

I would name the service MapTool.
Protocol is Both (UDP/TCP)
Set start and ending ports to 51234
Now select the IP address, should be listed.

This IP needs to be static and I'm not sure if you select the device name if it's smart enough to know where to go all the time, so you may have to go to IPv6 DHCP in your manual to set a "Fixed" ip for your computer. It should show your device there and an option to make it fixed under LAN Setup.
Attachments
N300 Port Forwarding.jpg
N300 Port Forwarding.jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 3913 times

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:Protocol is Both (UDP/TCP)
Not to derail... but while I always used to do manual port forwarding with both, I recently got gigabit ethernet service and, consequently, a new router--so I went ahead and just tried out MT's UPnP and noticed that the forwarding it used was only for TCP.

I also ran into an issue where the first UPnP attempt failed... then I tried to create a server without it and without opening the ports and it, as expected, was not visible... then I retried with UPnP and it worked. Not sure why it worked the second time and not the first.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Full Bleed wrote:
aliasmask wrote:Protocol is Both (UDP/TCP)
Not to derail... but while I always used to do manual port forwarding with both, I recently got gigabit ethernet service and, consequently, a new router--so I went ahead and just tried out MT's UPnP and noticed that the forwarding it used was only for TCP.

I also ran into an issue where the first UPnP attempt failed... then I tried to create a server without it and without opening the ports and it, as expected, was not visible... then I retried with UPnP and it worked. Not sure why it worked the second time and not the first.
I was looking at his router info and default is every 30 min it will advertise for 4 minutes. So, if you log on during the advertising period you will see it, otherwise you don't. Turning it off and on will automatically turn it on. Port forwarding doesn't have to worry about that.

Return to “General Discussion”