Map makers looking for host?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

rpgmapshare.com is available, i think I'll go with that one.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

And doing some searching found that Gallery2 (the gallery sw used here) is compatible with Drupal 4.7 (latest version) so i'll try to get those installed over the next couple days.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:rpgmapshare.com is available, i think I'll go with that one.
I like that, really catchy :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Just placed the registration order for rpgmapshare.com
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

/nods
/smiles

I have to say, the community has really come together over the last couple years..

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I really enjoy setting up and maintaining sites like this, so it's fun for me ;)

While we're brainstorming, what kind of albums/categories would we be looking at for maps? Genre-specific? Something like:
  • Medieval Fantasy (D&D)
  • Science fiction (under this you could have game-specific or system-specific albums like Star Wars, or Traveller which may have specific embedded items or scales or grids.)
  • Modern
  • Historical
[/list]
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Might also have, either top level, or sub level:

forest
city
space
underwater
snow

Or whatever. Really it would be good if the images rep worked like Flikr, so that you just post your images, then tag them with descriptive text, then make those tags search and browseable.

Hmmm. Wonder if there is an oss project that does that ?

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

trevor wrote:Might also have, either top level, or sub level:

forest
city
space
underwater
snow

Or whatever. Really it would be good if the images rep worked like Flikr, so that you just post your images, then tag them with descriptive text, then make those tags search and browseable.

Ultimately it will be searchable. But I think haveing browsable categories gives people something to do. Certainly could have albums that are just plain generic. A forest setting, for example, could go anywhere. I kind of want to avoid each person having their own album, as I think that gets too cluttered over time, and you never know if they're going to put the right descriptive text in. If it's in a category/album, you'll know where to find it.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:
trevor wrote:Might also have, either top level, or sub level:

forest
city
space
underwater
snow

Ultimately it will be searchable. But I think haveing browsable categories gives people something to do. Certainly could have albums that are just plain generic. A forest setting, for example, could go anywhere. I kind of want to avoid each person having their own album, as I think that gets too cluttered over time, and you never know if they're going to put the right descriptive text in. If it's in a category/album, you'll know where to find it.
The thing that makes sites like flikr and del.icio.us (and even google to a less direct approach) powerful is that the community tags the content, so presumably, over time, over a dedicated community, the tags will be fairly accurate and useful.

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Except that everything thinks things should be categorized differently. On a single site I have seen: java software development webservice ws dev code programming language.

Ideally there would be a global de-dup process that you would have staff go through occasionally with some sort of tag-alias system.
~Giliath

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Steel Rat wrote:
  • Medieval Fantasy (D&D)
  • Science fiction (under this you could have game-specific or system-specific albums like Star Wars, or Traveller which may have specific embedded items or scales or grids.)
  • Modern
  • Historical
Add a General or Generic for those forest scenes that are not Genre specific and I think you are golden.
~Giliath

trevor

Post by trevor »

giliath wrote:Except that everything thinks things should be categorized differently. On a single site I have seen: java software development webservice ws dev code programming language.

Ideally there would be a global de-dup process that you would have staff go through occasionally with some sort of tag-alias system.
Actually, I don't think the dups are necessarily bad. It may create noise, but unless the tag is just plain wrong (calling a forest a cat, or something), it may be useful to someone who is searching, and doesn't know the exact alias to use.

The noise isn't that bad after you get enough overlapping tags, the most appropriate tags tend to become the strongest voice. I'm thinking specifically of Flikr when you browse tags, the most common tags are actually rendered larger than the less common. Slightly different situation, but I think the concept applies.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

trevor wrote:The thing that makes sites like flikr and del.icio.us (and even google to a less direct approach) powerful is that the community tags the content, so presumably, over time, over a dedicated community, the tags will be fairly accurate and useful.
And there's no reason why that can't still happen with organized content.

Just found that the Gallery search here isn't very smart, lol. I did a search for "metal frame" which I know one of my items has in the description, and nothing was found, because the words didn't appear in that order.

But, with integration into Drupal, i'm hoping that the Drupal indexing will be able to do the searching.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote: But, with integration into Drupal, i'm hoping that the Drupal indexing will be able to do the searching.
That would be cool

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Well folks, I've got the site up. Still setting up the categories. I nabbed one of Vry's maps to add and have at least one image there.

the url is http://rpgmapshare.com. I'm still working out the permissions, so don't bother uploading anything yet. Feel free to register though and look around, post to the forums, etc.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Return to “General Discussion”