Warhammer 40k or Fantasy Wargame?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Humble Apostle
Cave Troll

Warhammer 40k or Fantasy Wargame?

Post by Humble Apostle »

I've been peeking at WH40k since I started playing Warhammer online. I vaguely remember playing WH40k with a friend once, who stuck me with 5 squads of Imperium marines while he showed me his quite large Tyranid army :) It was amusing though and now that I'm a bit more familiar with the series, I'm curious as to how I would do as a Tau commander.

So if anyone who is either experienced with wargames or 40k, and a fair hand at maptools would like to help me get a game or two started that would be great.

(I'm also a total noob to the rules, so bear with me if we play :P)
"A Knight is sworn to Valour"
"His Heart knows only Virtue"
"His Blade defends the Helpless"
"His Might upholds the Weak"
"His Words speak only Truth"
"His Wrath undoes the Wicked"

Jshock
Dragon

Re: Warhammer 40k or Fantasy Wargame?

Post by Jshock »

I haven't played since 3rd edition, but I think 40k over Maptools would be awesome, so I'll pitch in what I can. Here's what I see as being the major hurdles:

1. Damage rolls: they're D6 rolls, but the target number varies by target's Toughness... I remember the damage chart as being mathematical though. Did they change the damage chart in the newer edition(s)?

2: Scatter: I don't think a scatter die could be emulated properly as just a roll- probably have to use a template connected to a table or something.

we'll have to figure out how the base sizes translate too, but that's not a major issue- IIRC it's just 25mm, 40mm & 50mm for infantry, and however big the actual vehicle is for vehicles (ooh, something else to figure out).

tektonik
Dragon

Post by tektonik »

If the scatter dice is just used for directions do what d20 SWRPG had you do. Roll a d8 and each number was assigned a cardinal direction.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

tektonik wrote:If the scatter dice is just used for directions do what d20 SWRPG had you do. Roll a d8 and each number was assigned a cardinal direction.
Not that easy. Scatter dice are special D6s- 2 sides indicate a hit, 4 have arrows to determine direction. I was thinking a template with checks every 30 degrees (or whatever) and a table- you align the template with the target and direction of fire, and roll the table to determine hit or scatter.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Sounds like a scatter die could be emulated with a macro, and you could have it set in a macro, then have another macro call it as many times as you like with a count loop set via input.

jungleboie
Cave Troll

Post by jungleboie »

FYI, http://www.vassalengine.org has WH40K as a module. it is a java based cyberboard program, they have ton's of module's for alot of boardgame's. Primarily wargames. like their bread and butter ASL (Advanced Squad Leader).

Humble Apostle
Cave Troll

Post by Humble Apostle »

Looks like Vassal's 40k mod got removed due to copyright reasons.

So ya, I'm borrowing a 40k book from Faenoran and I'm going to start learning the rules. Once I have a better idea for it, I'll work on getting some maps and tokens set up. Perhaps a global macro set would work great for each side, so you don't have to worry so much about individual tokens.

Size shouldn't be too big an issue, I'm sure we can cook something up!

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

So I whipped up some quickie templates:

The Flamer template is double length so you can pivot on the small end when you set facing.
I would have set up a gallery, but it errored out on me- anyone know what's up with that?

Edit: didn't like how nothing matched, so I remade 'em.
Last edited by Jshock on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Humble Apostle
Cave Troll

Post by Humble Apostle »

Very nice! Very VERY nice!

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Jshock wrote:I was thinking a template with checks every 30 degrees (or whatever) and a table- you align the template with the target and direction of fire, and roll the table to determine hit or scatter.
This is MapTool. You can macro the scatter to be a full 360 degrees.
And Craig is working on some vector/distance/movement macro options which would make this work well.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

palmer wrote:This is MapTool. You can macro the scatter to be a full 360 degrees.
Well, yeah... that doesn't mean you should, though. Unless the macro's doing all the work for you, 360 degrees is way too much info to play a game with- you'd slow to a crawl trying to figure out where the template ends up.
palmer wrote:And Craig is working on some vector/distance/movement macro options which would make this work well.
Is that for 1.3? I thought there weren't any new features going in.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=15

TREVOR (head developer) is not adding any new features to 1.3, and has not been for a long time. However, other developers can add new features as desired, and many are. All of the changes in macros lately have been outside work, not Trevor, and more are still in the pipe.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6525 is a list of current projects.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

Ahh, thanks, that makes some sense.

Crudeboy
Giant

Post by Crudeboy »

Sounds like a scatter die could be emulated with a macro, and you could have it set in a macro, then have another macro call it as many times as you like with a count loop set via input.
I'd like to see something like this, myself. I'm also trying to MT-ize a tabletop wargame. How to effectively emulate scatter has been something that's been eating at me for a while now.

In VOR it's a little different. You look at the die (always a d10) used to make the attack roll. If it misses, move the template a number of inches equal to HALF of the roll result. The direction is determined by which way the "arrow" shape of the die face is pointing.

I've thought about simplifying it a little and creating a special template token marked off at varying degrees, linked to a table, but... enh.

Anyway, here's the burst template as a transparent PNG:

And the splash and full-auto:

Nixon's Theorem:

"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on."

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

OK, what am I missing?

Code: Select all

[Input("ScatterLength|1d6 , 2d6 , 3d6 , 4d6 |Select level of scatter:|List|Select=0 Value=String")]
[ScatterDie=1d24]
[if(ScatterDie<17), CODE:{Scatter towards [ScatterDie] [ScatterLength] Inches}, "Hit! No Scatter"]
Maptools keeps saying there's a problem in the If statement, but according to the wiki, that should run.

Return to “General Discussion”