Comparison of online Gaming Tools

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

rkathey
Giant

Online tools my group is using

Post by rkathey »

We had our first test last weekend and all this seemed to work pretty well

We used maptool and tokentool. We like dice tool but need a way to share the rolls.

We used Yahoo IM for voice chat. In our case it worked great.

We used http://www.roleplayershome.net for online character sheets with the ability to assign a character sheet to a dm.

We used the downloaded SRD 3.5 for rules.

It worked really well. The only thing the players complained about was the chat interface on the map. At times it is hard to read and isn't really large enough to show many dice rolls at once. I'd rather see the dice tool with a chat interface that fed the rolls to the chat screen.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

ok, ok OK ! I get the message: the chat panel sucks ! heh heh :) :)

How about I move that to the top of the priority list, get a first pass restructuring in the next day or two.

Oh, and, super thanks for the feedback !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

rkathey
Giant

:-)

Post by rkathey »

Was that one too many posts on the chat interface? :wink:

Maptool really is the best thing we've found. We've talked about developing something like this for years but never got around to it.

You've done more than you know. My friends and I have been gaming since 1978 but had to give it up due to distance and family time demands. Thanks to you, we can now game again on a fairly regular basis.

Thanks for taking the time to do this and giving it to the gaming comunity.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

Return to “General Discussion”