Comparison of online Gaming Tools

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

giliath
RPTools Founder

Comparison of online Gaming Tools

Post by giliath »

Here is a nice side-by-side comparison of several tools including MapTool.

http://openrpg.wrathof.com/faq/Online_R ... omparisons

It is mainly a feature comparison and seems to pretty fair. Worth looking and seeing what features might be interesting to add into MapTool.
~Giliath

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Wow, that's very exhaustive. It's quite an honor to be included in the rankings. However, it looks like they were either using an old version, or missed some features:

Chat: Exists as an overlay, such as it is.
Minis: Can add filesystem paths to the image explorer
Mini-autonumbering: Have that, along with token copy autonumbering
Mini permissions: Yes
Snap-to-grid: Toggled per token

I've sent a nice friendly email over to the site maintainers so they can update their chart.

Interesting to note that we got hammered most on the chat and initiative features. Guess we know what to work on next ;)

Post by Guest »

trevor wrote:Interesting to note that we got hammered most on the chat and initiative features. Guess we know what to work on next ;)
Not included (probably because it hasn't been developed in a few years) is what I use.. GRiP
It's strong points are character sheets and fully automated chat. These features are probably developed beyond what most would want to take it to, depending on style of play, but make for a great and easy experience.
If only it didn't have such a primitive map feature... :(

If interested I could discuss what aspects are good for the online experience if this would help the development of RPTools and your chat features...

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Sorry :oops: It logged me out :? ... that was me :wink:
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yes, yes, please, let us know the features that make GRiP a useful tool. We may not take it beyond what most would want to, but if we can pull out the top features that people still go to it for, I'm all for that !

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Well to start, here are some screen shots of the interface...

The chat screen...

The character sheet

The design of the character sheet can be changed to suit the game. I know that is beyond what you guys have planned for RPTools, but I mention it because it goes with the functionality of the chat feature. Preprogrammed "buttons" can be created for rolls that incorporate text.
It uses CSML, a little language that translates the text/die rolls into chat that "sounds" like a rpg session.

For instance, to say... Emryys strikes at the evil goblin with his longsword, rolling 19. In CSML, it inserts the character name, the target, and the roll in the proper place to achieve this output in the chat screen.

A very useful feature is /me. This outputs the text as action by using italics and purple color (could be set!). So, /me chases the goblin down the dark hallway... becomes Emryys chases the goblin down the dark hallway Adding to the immersion in a very easy manner, once these shortcuts are made in the sheet ;)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Just a note that they were kind enough to update the grid for us. Now gotta get those other cells filled in :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

"Still in development - could work as a mapping add-on to a chat client with a die roller, but still fairly primitive. Opensource"

Still fairly primitive! :shock: Sounds like a challenge that I know you guys are up for... :wink:
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

RIGHT !

/me rolls up sleeves

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

First I would like to say I love the new forums. Second I love maptools it has made my DMing so much easier.

I am not software designer or developer so keep that in mind. I have a question regarding maptool and what is the objective of the software. Was it to just be an online maptool?
Is adding the features that software products such as kloogiworks or screenmonke or openrpg the direction that maptools going to go?

I think that if the developers decied that yes adding features to compete with said products then I think there should be a seperation some where to have two different products.

Maptools - as it is now with modifcation to support online map usage.

Online RPG Combat Management Tool - a tool that supports combat management and mapping functions.

This is just my 2GPs.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

I like the fact that the programs are seperate, but having the option of full integration would be great, and may alleviate some of your concerns Mr Fobbo :)

When I look at the comparision, the "Pay" app's are all going for the show aspects - graphics and minis. This seems to add to bloat with out really that much in return, in the sense that someone still has to make the maps and minis :wink:

Having an app that has a nice balance between Chat/character management (Controlled text output, dicerolls, initiative, etc) and mapping aspects, without the bloat, will be usable by most people. Having it modular can only help in this aspect.

Your app's are in Java and I find Maptool surpisingly conservative on the resources (you guys should work for NASA!) So crossplatform, easy on the hardware, modular... Are you planning on taking over the world by having everyone use RPTools to play RPG's? :wink:
Game On!

Mr.Ice
RPTools Team

...the same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Post by Mr.Ice »

Well, thanks for the high praise, Emryss...

I think the direction I see us taking is separate tools with just enough integration so that if you want to use them together they will work well. But as separate tools the integration will stay out of your way if you don't want it.

For example, we've been talking about redoing DiceTool so that it would send rolls to the maptool chat.

If we did an initiative tool, we might extend the api of the chat so that we can send more status information and auxiliary commands to maptool. Something like /yourturn jox might become a GM only macro to signal the player of token 'jox' that it's time for jox to act (and what that macro might do to signal could be several actions like /whisper jox it's your turn; /say Waiting for jox to finish; /blink jox 3s; /banner jox Go!).

I really don't want to get into the Klooge/DMGenie/RPTools/OpenRPG/RolePlayingMaster space right now. The problem is that there actually are some good enough tools in that space, doing it right and not getting too game system specific takes a lot of work, and I don't think it would be much fun.

I think DMGenie has a good idea -- focus on character generation. What I'd rather do is see us be the preferred way for DMGenie users to network. A plugin for DMGenie could send us character sheet blocks and avatars and we'd drop them on maptool for you. The plugin could likewise send the contents of the action log to chat for the rolls and let DMGenie/PlayerGenie track all the status (but send us information on it so that we can mark the tokens appropriately).

We currently do RPG map sharing better than anyone else :!: So yes, I expect everyone who wants to share maps over the internet or LAN to use MapTool for it. MapTool makes a very fine cross-platform whiteboard too -- and even though we don't market it as such, it is one of the best in that class. It's also a dandy internet chess/checkers/backgammon board sharing program if you don't care that it's game agnostic (e.g. it doesn't enforce movement restrictions -- yet).[/b]

trevor

Re: ...the same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Post by trevor »

Mr.Ice wrote: We currently do RPG map sharing better than anyone else :!:
There are still improvements, such as putting heavy (large) assets on huge shared pipes so that the player that is hosting the server doesn't bog down when sending out a 1 meg map to 10 players. We have a plan in mind, watch for it !
Mr.Ice wrote: it doesn't enforce movement restrictions -- yet
And even when it does, it won't "enforce" them, it'll be optional :)

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

I am glad to see that the direction is going to be a seperation in tools.

I think you guys read my mind as I was thinking about this last night how nice it would be to have a connection to DM Genie.

So let me say that I am behind this 100% and will help in any way I can.

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

http://www.opnpw.com/about.php is the other tool I considered using, but I can't make it work... worth a mention though.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

Return to “General Discussion”