[Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.1.x

Notes on testing the latest builds of MapTool

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: [Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.0.0

Post by JamzTheMan »

Great news. And yea, I have the JRE fixed now so it properly defaults to the jWrapper JRE home. I did also find that it was dieing on my system due to Linux not supporting transparent pixels for the splash screen (mostly because I'm remote desktop'd in and sure that is the issue) so I put a safety net around it defaulting to black if not supported.

I also noticed no Icons were showing up, found another user had the issue and setting the image to 254x256 fixed it. And it did sort of for me, but It's using the "bundled" png vs the individual png for each "virtual app" aka jar (you will see them the first time after install). For me it put it under Other but I'm sure that will vary depending on desktop (I want to say I'm using Gnome. I have KDE I can test with also I think)

And thanks for the xterm info, I'll add that as notation. If I can catch the error and display more info I will. I can probably allow you to edit that command as well, although I'm sure each has a different set # of parameters? (xterm had a -T and -E and title for instance). I'll see what I can do, although, correct me if I'm wrong, someone is really only going to need to do this for debugging, maybe xterm required for debugging isn't that bad...There are other forms of logging...

Anyhoo, here's a new version. It should work on a fresh install.

http://maptool.nerps.net/test_updates/M ... ffline.tar

PS it's a little larger this time, I have high compression turned off while I develop...
-Jamz

Cederien
Kobold

Post by Cederien »

Yep, the new version works as advertized. The menu entries ended up in Lost&Found for me on KDE. Probably means that jWrapper does not to specify a (valid) category for the menu entries. Not sure it can actually. I will check how problematic it is to generate an actual debian package (.deb file) that also takes care of all dependencies (like xterm). Likely not worth the effort, but I want to know now. :)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Cederien wrote:Yep, the new version works as advertized. The menu entries ended up in Lost&Found for me on KDE. Probably means that jWrapper does not to specify a (valid) category for the menu entries. Not sure it can actually. I will check how problematic it is to generate an actual debian package (.deb file) that also takes care of all dependencies (like xterm). Likely not worth the effort, but I want to know now. :)
Cool. I did read somewhere about a .desktop file so linux flavors use? (I suppose this is more to do with the desktop used, gnome vs kde etc?)

If you do find how to create a .deb package, let me know! If I could host that so you could do a apt-get MapTool that would be uber! :mrgreen:
-Jamz

Cederien
Kobold

Post by Cederien »

Creating a basic Debian package is simple enough (as in just dumb a folder tree and some files into the system) I've done that a few times. Creating an actually complete one, that takes care of all dependencies, creates a desktop file and so on is a couple magnitudes more tricky though.

Tomorrow is D&D, so I will give it a shot Sunday.

And yes .desktop files are what usually controls menu entries. They are placed in "/usr/share/applications".
A proper .desktop file for the launcher would look like this

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Maptool Launcher
Comment=Change settings for Maptool and start or debug it.
Exec=java -jar /home/<users home directory>/.JWrapper/JWrapper-MapTool/JWrapper-MapTool-00043021994-complete/MapTool-Launcher-1.4.0.3-fat.jar
Icon=/home/<users home directory>/.JWrapper/JWrapper-MapTool/JWrapper-MapTool-00043021994-complete/JWrapper-MapTool.ico
Terminal=false
Categories=Graphics;Network;
The problem here is that maptool can't be found in the standard search path and as a Java program isn't executable anyway. So we have to give the full, qualified path (instead of just "Exec=maptool-launcher"). Since that includes the users home directory, it's not possible to simply include a premade desktop file, it has to be generated or at least modified during install. (I tested using $user instead, as expected that did not work though.)

Btw. the problem with the icon you had might stem from using icns formate which is a MacOS formate. For Linux you should use .ico or .png.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I see there is a couple of gradle plugins for creating deb packages as well. Just not sure how that falls into the jWrapper eco system? Do I create a jWrapper then the deb package includes that? Let me know what you find out.

Also jWrapper does have an api to let you create icons and other post-installation things. Maybe the .desktop file can be templated then post install modify the desktop file with the users home directory (provided it has proper rights to it?)

The Icon thing bugs me, I really like the ease jWrapper builds but the documentation is thin and next to no support unless you pay. You actually supply jWrapper a .png file and from that it creates all the icons (ico for windows baked into the exe, icns for MacOS, and i guess .ico for linux, just the wrong one. Maybe I can fix that post install as well...
-Jamz

Cederien
Kobold

Post by Cederien »

Well for the Tokens, I could only find:
JWrapper-MapTool-ICNS.icns
and JWrapper-MapTool-UninstallerICO.icopng
I couldn't find any tool that would read or convert the second one though, it seems neither a proper PNG nor a proper ICO file.

As for a Debian package, that would replace jWrapper then. In theory it is possible to embed one into the other, but it would defeat the purpose as both do essentially the same thing and likely just create a two part installation process (I'm not sure a .deb could start jWrapper and I'm certain jWrapper can't call apt or even just dpkg to handle the Debian package).

Irrlicht
Dragon

Post by Irrlicht »

Running Windows here; before I do something stupid, since I just discovered this build and read it runs on a single file, if I want to try it do I have to clean my pc of the current MapTool folders or can they coexist with Nerps with no problem?
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Cederien wrote:Well for the Tokens, I could only find:
JWrapper-MapTool-ICNS.icns
and JWrapper-MapTool-UninstallerICO.icopng
I couldn't find any tool that would read or convert the second one though, it seems neither a proper PNG nor a proper ICO file.

As for a Debian package, that would replace jWrapper then. In theory it is possible to embed one into the other, but it would defeat the purpose as both do essentially the same thing and likely just create a two part installation process (I'm not sure a .deb could start jWrapper and I'm certain jWrapper can't call apt or even just dpkg to handle the Debian package).
Ya, it suppose to create them and it seems it does, just uses the wrong one? (I define the nerps as the "App Bundle" logo with the maptool and launcher having their own png.

It's just nice that it creates all 3 systems for you, in theory. I won't rule out a .deb if it's not back breaking.

Irrlicht wrote:Running Windows here; before I do something stupid, since I just discovered this build and read it runs on a single file, if I want to try it do I have to clean my pc of the current MapTool folders or can they coexist with Nerps with no problem?
Hi, nope, you don't have to. It uses the same .maptool user directory for cache, but, if you want non-pixelated thumbs if you zoom in, you'll want to clear the cache (probably a lot of garbage in there anyway), but you can do that by double clicking on the status bar locations described above.

And if you go back, the old MT will still work, the cache files are the same, just larger. Note, right now, if you use this version, the campaign won't load in an older version of MT. But that will eventually change. And I'm working to get all these changes back into the master repository but it will take time.

I'm really looking for feedback on the installation process. Does it make it easier? Is it a little more "Application" like? It should eliminate Java installation issues. Mostly this is a Windows issue (if you're on Linux, you're already use to dealing with issues like this, mostly).

But ya, you can keep your current MT and this and flip back and forth no problem (I do while I develop). Although you CAN specify a different location for .maptool in the launcher...

Heck, you can even run older version of MT using Java 1.7 installed and this will use it's own Java 1.8 without you needing to do anything. Or run it on a system with no java installed (it brings it's own JRE).
-Jamz

Irrlicht
Dragon

Post by Irrlicht »

Uhm, I'm unable to run it.

Win 7 and Java 7 here, I installed, ran the launcher, only changed the language (to Eng, rather than local) and launched it. Nothing happened.
I looked for MapTool in the application search bar and launched it directly. Nothing still.
Looked into task manager, and there were two MapTool processes going on, both apparently dead.
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

Cederien
Kobold

Post by Cederien »

Just a short note before I head to bed. I managed to create a .deb file which installs maptool takes care of the dependecies (i.e. java-8 and xterm) and creates proper menu entries. I could not get it to actually include the maptool data folders into the package though, so it's only half way where I want it. I'm going to dig around a bit more tomorrow.

Cederien
Kobold

Post by Cederien »

Irrlicht wrote:Uhm, I'm unable to run it.

Win 7 and Java 7 here, I installed, ran the launcher, only changed the language (to Eng, rather than local) and launched it. Nothing happened.
Just tested it on a virtual machine running Win7-64bit. Worked fine (the Java version should not matter as it brings it's own Jave engine). I needed to tell Avast to leave it in peace though, as it kept putting it into quarantine before the install was through (seems it dislikes the jWrapper file, the finished installation Avast was fine with). Maybe your virus protection is also acting up in some way? Also are you are using a 32 or 64 bit Windows?

Irrlicht
Dragon

Post by Irrlicht »

32 bit.

Avast did pop out, but it said it was just scanning something (a thing I had never seen before, with an animated icon of a parser going through a sheet full of binary code) and didn't give me warnings nor told me anything about menaces or quarantine.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Cederien wrote:Just a short note before I head to bed. I managed to create a .deb file which installs maptool takes care of the dependecies (i.e. java-8 and xterm) and creates proper menu entries. I could not get it to actually include the maptool data folders into the package though, so it's only half way where I want it. I'm going to dig around a bit more tomorrow.
Cool beans. re the data folders, are you talking about the .maptool folder? Don't bother with that one, it gets created by MT on first launch. Really, you just need to package the two jar files and related icons for launcher/MT. And FYI, although I have a icon for "MapTool" they currently both call the Launcher JAR, just with a -skip_prompt parameter so you pick up at least some parameters for MT.

I also added a -force_prompt to force the launcher to show in case you checked the "don't show prompts again" checkbox.

Irrlicht wrote:32 bit.

Avast did pop out, but it said it was just scanning something (a thing I had never seen before, with an animated icon of a parser going through a sheet full of binary code) and didn't give me warnings nor told me anything about menaces or quarantine.
Hmm, ya, Virus detection could be an issue, although I haven't had any other reports so far. There IS a security warning though because I'm unable to "sign" my code, at least with any sort of authority or $$. For windows, you can right-click -> properties and choose "unblock" on the installer which tells windows to "not worry about it" but I doubt it will have any impact on Avast.

I do know, if the process hangs and you are left with Java processes running, a second running won't work. You have to kill those (I tell my friends to reboot but just killing all the java processes should work).
-Jamz

Cederien
Kobold

Post by Cederien »

Cool beans. re the data folders, are you talking about the .maptool folder? Don't bother with that one, it gets created by MT on first launch. Really, you just need to package the two jar files and related icons for launcher/MT. And FYI, although I have a icon for "MapTool" they currently both call the Launcher JAR, just with a -skip_prompt parameter so you pick up at least some parameters for MT.
Now he tells me, after I've completed packaging everything. Hmpf, ok I will remove those parts again...

But sorry, you telling me you hardcoded the .maptool folder, ignoring the MAPTOOL_DATADIR set in the mt.cfg? For what reason?
As for calling the launcher, I could do that, but it's not really necessary as both are called from a script that gives the full arg line to MT anyway.

Anyway I've a working debian package and I should be able to write a script that pulls all necessary files from a clean install for future builds.

Another question, given that maptool 1.4.0.0 runs quite well with Java-7 is there a reason your fork requires Java-8? You won't be able to install the .deb I made on your wheezy install for example, as it lists Java-8 (either openjdk or oracle) as dependencies and wheezy does not offer any of those through the regular repositories, AFAIK at least. Would be much better if Java-7 would suffice as long as only the Nerdiness factor suffers from that at least.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I thought Java8 got its Wheezy release on 22/03/2016?

(not an expert, but we use Wheezy at work)

Return to “Testing”