Session 9 extra: Sandpoint's errands

Moderator: Corsario

Corsario
Giant

Session 9 extra: Sandpoint's errands

Post by Corsario »

We are going to try and advance as far as we can "offline". I tell you the scenes, you tell me what your characters want to do, if anything. As I couldn't confirm all of you, maybe we will revisit this for some characters at the beginning of next session, if they don't post anything before Monday.
While you are talking with Mayor Kendra Deverin, Sheriff Belor Helmlock and elf ranger Shalelu Androsana you hear a scream coming from outside.

- Deverin! Come out! - You instantly recognize Titus Scarnetti's Voice - You need to pay for this!!

Kendra turns towards you, her face betraying, for a second, weariness and sadness.

- I would have liked to have more time to talk to you, and explain you what is happening here - she sighs - but now... I can only ask you to act as your conscience dictates you.

Se stands up and goes out of her office.

Outside Titus Scarnetti, with some 10 bodyguards, between humans and halflings, is standing right in front of the town hall. Behind him are close to a hundred people, most of them - unlike Titus - with ash in their clothes, and tired and angry eyes. Only a few of the crowd are Varisians, most of them dress with Colonists clothes.

- This is your fault, Deverin... yours and Belor's fault. Your lack of foresight has cost us dearly. People is dead! Houses burned! Your fault, Deverin!

His bodyguards, and some of people (maybe a third), starts screaming towards Kendra, who stands firm over the denouncements. She tries to defend herself.

- We didn't have any sign this was going to happen! There was no way...

She is interrupted by more screams. Belor stands behind and to her side, fists clenched and teeth grinding. Shalelu moves quickly and discreetly away, over one side, getting lost around the corner. Your group, prudently, get to one side, not behind the mayor, nor behind Titus, and watches in silence.

Titus rises his hand and the screams goes silent.

- You know you need to resign, Kendra - says with conciliatory voice, while looking at Kendra's eyes - you and your... sheriff.

Belor fists clench even more. Kendra holds Titus eyes with hers.

- And who do you propose for taking our jobs? - Kendra asked him with a smirk.

- For mayor, I think the mercantile council can find someone - his mouth in a slight smile - and as for sheriff, I think I know just the right person for the job.

Kendra kept silent.

- Captain Kealm. He has showed us he is better than any of us for the job.

Most of the people, at the mention of Kealm's rank and name, clap and cheer. You notice Belor shoulders dropping, his face turning down.

Kendra Deverin waits some seconds for the cheering to subside, and then replies.

- Sheriff Helmlock is going to Magnimar for reinforcements - many people look worried - just to be sure we have enought forces to dissuade another attack. And I was going to ask Captain Kealm for him and his men to become a "special" team for the town, not directly under the sheriff orders, but responding to the mercantile council directly.

Almost all of the people cheer at Mayor Deverin suggestion. Titus quickly grabs the initiative.

- As head of the mercantile council I find the proposal adequate - he can't help to smile - but there is something else to deal with... your resignation.

All the people fall silent... Kendra lowers his face, as in deep thought.

Do you say something?

If you want to influence the crowd, or one of the NPC, please roll your Diplomacy check. If you want a bonus (or even and automatic success - or failure :P ) make good your rhetoric.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You walk towards the Inn, to rest and bathe. Some woman goes towards you, embraces all of you and gives each of you a fresh loaf of bread. Tears flow from her eyes, she doesn't say anything. She leaves as quickly as she appeared.

The people that see you pass smile to you. some of them greet you. Some even pats you on the shoulder. You hear phrases like:

- The Captain... faced it alone...

- He changes... a fearsome Tiger...

- She was hurt.. died... fantoma...

- Albastri faced them... beautiful eyes...

- The Scorpion... he can do magic...

- With one shot... in the middle of the head...

- Poor donkey...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A small varisian child stands in front of you. He looks at you without shame or fear, and speak to you:

- She wants to talk to you.

He gives you a card. It has a beautiful drawing of a woman (or monster) removing a mask from her face, uncovering her real monstrous features. A really complex and well done drawing. In the back of the card, written with a shaking hand, some words:
The card the child gave you, with the invitation to talk to Madame Mvashti.
The card the child gave you, with the invitation to talk to Madame Mvashti.
The Courtesan.jpg (52.68 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
Madame Mvashti. Each of you alone. A Gift.

- She told me she will jinx you...

He smiles like he has just saw the most beautiful thing in the world, while he extends his hand, waiting for you to give him some coins.

Do you give him something?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

At the inn you all find notes and gifts for you. Small tokens of appreciation (trinkets, small clothing items), some food (loaves of bread, candies, cookies, cheese), and thank you notes. Tens of them, for each one of you. People thanking you for saving a love one and/or defending the town. People complimenting you on your bravery and gallantry.

Some notes grab your attention.

- Ethram Valdemar ask you to a dinner, the next day at night. He ask "for your discretion" while he has a chance to talk to you.

- Garridan Viskalai, owner of "The White Deer Inn", sends a thank you note and invite you to stay at his inn, all expenses paid, all the time you want.

- Aldern Foxglove, the noble you saved from the mounted goblin, left a very elegant note thanking you profusely, inviting you "at your earliest convenience" to a boar hunt, and promising you "a significant reward" for saving him. He finishing telling you he is going to leave for "business" at Magnimar in 3 or 4 days, so he would appreciate if you can make time for him before that. He tell you to contact him at "The White Deer" inn.

- There is a simple note, signed and sealed by Titus Scarnetti, asking "Captain Kealm" for an audience at Scarnetti Manor at 17:15. He ask for "due discretion" for the meeting.

- There is a light purple note addressed to Grift. He takes it but doesn't open it. He goes to his room.

- Another small envelope contains only a small estrange flower, with a sweet perfume. It is addressed to Kealm.

Bethana Corwin, the Halfling maid, with bloodshot eyes, tell you about the children. They gave them a couple rooms. They are sad and tired, but sleeping now. She seems on the verge of tears too. Dave is in a room also, recovering from his wounds. She tells you all have rooms now (many people left town after the festival and attack). And he passes some messages to you:

- Shalelu Androsana - who is sleeping in her "usual room", she tells you - wants to invite you dinner that day, to "interchange information".

- Ameiko Kaijitsu - the inn owner - is out, but wants you to feel "like in your own home" for as long as you need. She hopes she can have a word with all of you later.

- Falk - the elven wizard that accompanied you from Magnimar - left a message thanking you for everything, but he had to left Sandpoint because of "pressing matters". He hopes he'll see you again.

- Maelx - the Dwarf summoner - got a job and Sandpoint Academy and has already moved there.

- Revan - your half-elf guide - moved with her sister (Rynshinn Povalli) at Revah's Clothing.

After leaving you in your rooms you see her move away more slowly than ever, and hear her cry very quietly.

---------------------------------------------------------

You are left in your rooms at 10:00 hours. You have not rested, so you don't have recovered spells or abilities yet.

So what are your characters going to do?

How much time will you rest?

Who do you want to visit, or look for?

How many time will you use in each visit?

If you want to find info, please tell me who are you asking for, and the Diplomacy check roll. If you want a bonus (or even an automatic success) tell me who do you ask for the information.

killersqid
Kobold

Re: Session 9 extra: Sandpoint's errands

Post by killersqid »

I do not mess with the mob.
I do give the boy a few coins if I possess any.
I rest unless told otherwise.

lacertus
Kobold

Post by lacertus »

Corsario wrote:
- As head of the mercantile council I find the proposal adequate - he can't help to smile - but there is something else to deal with... your resignation.

Do you say something?

If you want to influence the crowd, or one of the NPC, please roll your Diplomacy check. If you want a bonus (or even and automatic success - or failure :P ) make good your rhetoric.
Magu stands next to the mayor showing her support and says "If The Mayor faced Goblins and Fire to help ths people of SandPoint, Why would she flee from you?"
<She is not much in diplomacy 1d20+1 let see... 14+1=15>
He smiles like he has just saw the most beautiful thing in the world, while he extends his hand, waiting for you to give him some coins.
Last i saw, Magu had no money, but she gives the kid some food (half a loaf of bread or some other thing she may have gotten), a smile and if he would allow it, an affectionate pat in the head.
At the inn you all find notes and gifts for you. Small tokens of appreciation (trinkets, small clothing items), some food (loaves of bread, candies, cookies, cheese), and thank you notes. Tens of them, for each one of you. People thanking you for saving a love one and/or defending the town. People complimenting you on your bravery and gallantry.

Some notes grab your attention.

- Ethram Valdemar ask you to a dinner, the next day at night. He ask "for your discretion" while he has a chance to talk to you.

- Garridan Viskalai, owner of "The White Deer Inn", sends a thank you note and invite you to stay at his inn, all expenses paid, all the time you want.

- Aldern Foxglove, the noble you saved from the mounted goblin, left a very elegant note thanking you profusely, inviting you "at your earliest convenience" to a boar hunt, and promising you "a significant reward" for saving him. He finishing telling you he is going to leave for "business" at Magnimar in 3 or 4 days, so he would appreciate if you can make time for him before that. He tell you to contact him at "The White Deer" inn.

- There is a simple note, signed and sealed by Titus Scarnetti, asking "Captain Kealm" for an audience at Scarnetti Manor at 17:15. He ask for "due discretion" for the meeting.

- Shalelu Androsana - who is sleeping in her "usual room", she tells you - wants to invite you dinner that day, to "interchange information".

You are left in your rooms at 10:00 hours. You have not rested, so you don't have recovered spells or abilities yet.

So what are your characters going to do?

How much time will you rest?

Who do you want to visit, or look for?

How many time will you use in each visit?

If you want to find info, please tell me who are you asking for, and the Diplomacy check roll. If you want a bonus (or even an automatic success) tell me who do you ask for the information.
First things first, Magu makes shure the kids are Ok, then goes bandage her wounds and rest a little (till noon)

Then, if Kealm is around she would try to talk to him and Grummsh on the subject of the kids, if they want to take care of them or not, either way she will cooperate but she would like to bring all the kids that desire so to the monastery to be monk apprentices and thus claims a proportional part of the rewards and donations to that end. If the kids want to be together that would be even better and we could both teach them where they find acommodation, if they wand to claim the rewards for themselves she would expect at least a generous donation for the kids.

Visit the White Deer Inn (probably with Kealm and GRummsh), thank Garridan but decline for the time being and talk to Aldern, in regard to Magu not for a reward but a donation for the maintenance and education of the kids already in our care, if at all possible, making a common cause with Kealm. (Shouldn't take more than a couple hours)

If with Kealm and he agrees, go visit the seer on the Jinx matter (may go after if Kealm or Grummsh want to go first), see what does she tells me, and ask on the ones behind the Goblins attacks.

Then visit Sabyl, update her on the agreements on the care of the kids, donations obtained so far, what we know of the Goblin attack (wouldn't hold nothing from her, but may ask for secrecy) and if at all possible spend some "quality time" with her. :D

For dinner, if the visit with Sabyl permits, keep researching going to the inn to talk to Shalelu, see what she knows of Ruperta and what she used on the Goblin Boss, on the power struggle against the mayor and what she wanted to say to us. On the subject of the collaborators on the attack, say nothing to her.

If at all possible (no heavy drinking) get a good night rest and check the wounds on the morning.
Then talk to the kids, see if some would want to be monk apprentices and discuss the agreements reached with Kealm and Grummsh (ask at least Grummsh to be with us at that time, he can be "Father Grummsh" while she is "Sister Magu"), then ask any kid interested in going with her to nerby woods to replenish her healers kit and look for the ingredients of the thing that Ruperta used. Return in time to freshen up and have Dinner with Ethran Valdemar, keep the found rising, see what party does he take on sandpoint's power struggles and how could we collaborate to helpo sandpoint.

If Cap Kealm wants company on his reunion with "Titus Scarnetti", take time for it, if he doesn't, so be it, more time to be with the kids, Sabyl and in the woods looking for herbs and meditating.

Bolo (a.k.a. Daniel)

Corsario
Giant

Post by Corsario »

I'll wait for Kealms actions today, and answer (with or without them) tonight.

if Grummsh has plans for the next day, it's time to tell them (to be in line with Magu)

killersqid
Kobold

Post by killersqid »

The next day I'll follow bolo to talk about the kids. I will also go to the reunion with Titus unless considered a bad idea (racist bastard :P).

Corsario
Giant

Grummsh and Jimmy day off

Post by Corsario »

Will put here their transcript, and their cards.
Session0009a Grummsh and Jimmy.zip
Session Transcript
(8.6 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
This is the card Grummsh drew:
Grummsh Card
Grummsh Card
The Sickness.jpg (54.97 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
This is the card Jimmy drew:
Jimmy Card
Jimmy Card
The Tangled Briar.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
This is their Harrowing:
Harrow reading for Grummsh and Jimmy
Harrow reading for Grummsh and Jimmy
Harrowing Grummsh and Jimmy.png (4.02 MiB) Viewed 6437 times

Corsario
Giant

Post by Corsario »

lacertus wrote:
Corsario wrote:

Do you say something?

Magu stands next to the mayor showing her support and says "If The Mayor faced Goblins and Fire to help ths people of SandPoint, Why would she flee from you?"
<She is not much in diplomacy 1d20+1 let see... 14+1=15>
Need to see what the others say...
Last i saw, Magu had no money, but she gives the kid some food (half a loaf of bread or some other thing she may have gotten), a smile and if he would allow it, an affectionate pat in the head.
The child smiles to you and goes on munching on the bread.
First things first, Magu makes shure the kids are Ok, then goes bandage her wounds and rest a little (till noon)
Ok, you rest some...
Then, if Kealm is around she would try to talk to him and Grummsh on the subject of the kids, if they want to take care of them or not, either way she will cooperate but she would like to bring all the kids that desire so to the monastery to be monk apprentices and thus claims a proportional part of the rewards and donations to that end. If the kids want to be together that would be even better and we could both teach them where they find acommodation, if they wand to claim the rewards for themselves she would expect at least a generous donation for the kids.
You will need to RP that with them
Visit the White Deer Inn (probably with Kealm and GRummsh), thank Garridan but decline for the time being and talk to Aldern, in regard to Magu not for a reward but a donation for the maintenance and education of the kids already in our care, if at all possible, making a common cause with Kealm. (Shouldn't take more than a couple hours)
Less than that... Garridan is not the "sociable" kind. He promise to see what he can donate for the kids.
If with Kealm and he agrees, go visit the seer on the Jinx matter (may go after if Kealm or Grummsh want to go first), see what does she tells me, and ask on the ones behind the Goblins attacks.
In fact Grummsh go with an apprentice of Sabyl that was named your "contact" in Sandpoint. Will tell the result of your visit shortly.
Then visit Sabyl, update her on the agreements on the care of the kids, donations obtained so far, what we know of the Goblin attack (wouldn't hold nothing from her, but may ask for secrecy) and if at all possible spend some "quality time" with her. :D
You talk to her, and spend some nice "oriental-style" quality time with her... (you can imagine the rest)
For dinner, if the visit with Sabyl permits, keep researching going to the inn to talk to Shalelu, see what she knows of Ruperta and what she used on the Goblin Boss, on the power struggle against the mayor and what she wanted to say to us. On the subject of the collaborators on the attack, say nothing to her.

If at all possible (no heavy drinking) get a good night rest and check the wounds on the morning.
Then talk to the kids, see if some would want to be monk apprentices and discuss the agreements reached with Kealm and Grummsh (ask at least Grummsh to be with us at that time, he can be "Father Grummsh" while she is "Sister Magu"), then ask any kid interested in going with her to nerby woods to replenish her healers kit and look for the ingredients of the thing that Ruperta used. Return in time to freshen up and have Dinner with Ethran Valdemar, keep the found rising, see what party does he take on sandpoint's power struggles and how could we collaborate to helpo sandpoint.
If Cap Kealm wants company on his reunion with "Titus Scarnetti", take time for it, if he doesn't, so be it, more time to be with the kids, Sabyl and in the woods looking for herbs and meditating.
Ok, I'll try an post about Shalelu dinner with you...

Melil13
Kobold

Post by Melil13 »

Kealm:

While i thank you for your support, I must decline. It is within in me to settle down in one location. Gorum calls me to do go where he goes and to do his will.

After this attack i think emotions are high and we need to time to think things through and pray least we make rash decision.

This is a very big decision to make so hastily, not just a few days ago did i come to your small town. The mayor and sheriff had the right to be skeptical, who were we to come to this peaceful town warning of doom.

I trust they shall be more open to suggestions in the future or until such times as another is found who is better qualified.
(Making eye contact with each as he says this)

I trust the others will support me in this. (Nodding to Grummsh and Lucron)

[1d20+1:]

Corsario
Giant

Shalelu Androsana's Dinner

Post by Corsario »

Shalelu Andosana, a female elf ranger, isn’t quite a bounty hunter, a survivalist, or a mercenary, but a mix of all three. The elven woman passes through town once or twice a season to buy supplies and never remains more than a few days, always staying at the same room at the Rusty Dragon free of charge. Near the end of each visit, she meets with Sheriff Hemlock and Mayor Deverin for a few hours at the garrison to give a report on the state of the hinterlands before she leaves town again, a pouch of coins at her side. Both Hemlock and Deverin value Shalelu’s reports, since they provide a non-biased insight into how the local farmlands are faring and keep the town council abreast of burgeoning dangers in the region.
She’d like to hear more from them about the Sandpoint raid, and in return she’s got a fair amount of goblin lore she can impart to the PCs.
Beyond the “Ten Fun Facts about Goblins” listed before, the elven ranger can reveal the following important tidbits about local goblinoids.
Goblin Tribes: There are five major goblin tribes in the region. The closest to Sandpoint are the Birdcruncher goblins that live in caves along the western edge of the Devil’s Platter, although traditionally these goblins are the least aggressive of the five.
To the south are the Licktoad goblins of the Brinestump Marsh, pests that are excellent swimmers.
East are the Seven Tooth goblins of Shank’s Wood, goblins who’ve secured a place for themselves by raiding Sandpoint’s junkyard and rebuilding the stolen refuse into armor and weapons.
Further east are the Mosswood goblins, likely the largest tribe but one traditionally held back by feuding families within their own ranks.
And finally, there are the Thistletop goblins, who live on the Nettlewood coast atop a small island
that some say holds a passing resemblance to a decapitated head.

Goblin Heroes: Shalelu notes that goblins generally live short, violent lives. It’s unusual for a single goblin to achieve any real measure of notoriety, but when one does, it’s well-earned.
Currently, five goblins enjoy the status of “hero.”
Big Gugmut is an unusually muscular and tall goblin from Mosswood who, it is said, had a hobgoblin for a mother and a wild boar for a father.
Koruvus was a champion of the Seven Tooth tribe, who was as well known for his short temper as he was for his prized possession—a "magic" longsword sized for a human that the goblin stubbornly kept as his own (despite the fact that it was too large for him to properly wield). Koruvus vanished several months ago after he supposedly discovered a “secret hideout” in a cave along the cliffs, but the Seven Tooth goblins remain convinced that he’s out there still, a ghost or worse, waiting to murder any goblin who tries to discover his hideout.
Vorka is a notorious goblin cannibal who lives in the Brinestump marsh, a “hero” mostly to goblins other than the Licktoad tribe.
Ripnugget is the current leader of the Thistletop goblins and controls what the five tribes agree is the best lair.
And then there’s Bruthazmus, an infamous bugbear ranger who lives in northern Nettlewood and often visits the five tribes to trade things he’s stolen from caravans for alcohol, news, or magic arrows. Shalelu notes that Bruthazmus has a particular hatred of elves, and that they have fought on several occasions. To date, neither of them has managed to get the upper hand on the other, but Shalelu bitterly vows that she won’t be the first to fall in their private war.

killersqid
Kobold

Post by killersqid »

kealm's roll

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3307522/

Yes the captain should consult Gorum before we make any decisions as large as these.

Return to “Rise of the Runelords”