Build 98 Release Notes

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Build 98 Release Notes

Post by trevor »

Ok, got some updated stuff:

Build 98 (3/14/06)
* Fix bug with waypoints introduced in build 96
* Support panning map with right mouse button while dragging token
* Move set waypoint to spacebar (Hit spacebar while dragging a token to set a waypoint)
* Add Delete to token popup menu
* Add freehand fog of war tool (needs a new toolbar icon)

Check out the freehand fog of war tool, it's pretty nifty (and only took a copy-paste, and a one line change to make it work ... WOOO)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

:shock: You make these builds so fast I hardly have time to play with the old one... Not that I mind ;)
Game On!

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

When I do a freehand FOW and have "fill" selected, it does funny things... The polygon I draw jumps to a different spot and sticks even when I zoom in and out.
Maybe "fill" isn't supposed to be selected when using Free FOW :?
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Is that the only fow draw tool that has a problem ?

What about the normal freehand tool, does it have the same problem with fill ?

Post by Guest »

Freaky, when I go to draw tool the to fog tool its like it doesn't release the draw tool and every point I select causes what I've drawn to scale down.

Also, since the right click now allows you to pan while drawing there isn't a way to add fog back with right click. Of course, I might have missed that bit of instruction. :-)

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

Sorry, that was me. I now see that the erase toggle puts back fog of war. Cool.

But there is a problem with the free hand and polygon fog of war.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Anonymous wrote:Freaky, when I go to draw tool the to fog tool its like it doesn't release the draw tool and every point I select causes what I've drawn to scale down.
Weird, Could you provide the steps you take (clicks, keys) you are using to get to that state ?
Anonymous wrote:Also, since the right click now allows you to pan while drawing there isn't a way to add fog back with right click. Of course, I might have missed that bit of instruction. :-)
Our documentation needs updating now :) Just hold SHIFT while you draw the shape

francogp
Cave Troll

Post by francogp »

Why i cant use the ajust grid button? it's under development? when i set a custom gid, and i start to add tokens, the grid is not the grid that i set.
It would be great to add the ajust grid button in the map menu... for future corrections (not the "manual" ajust grid that work fine, the numeric button, like 30 lines and 20 rows).

trevor

Post by trevor »

francogp wrote:Why i cant use the ajust grid button? it's under development? when i set a custom gid, and i start to add tokens, the grid is not the grid that i set.
It would be great to add the ajust grid button in the map menu... for future corrections (not the "manual" ajust grid that work fine, the numeric button, like 30 lines and 20 rows).
The adjust grid dialog is a work in progress. It used to have a dialog notice to that effect when you clicked on the Adjust Grid button, but it was recently removed because it was annoying me during development, and I was expecting to get it closer to functioning. But it doesn't fully apply the grid changes right now. This will change over the next several days.

Eventually when you do a menu item Map->Adjust Grid it will bring up that dialog. The existing grid method will either go away, or become integrated into the new Adjust Grid dialog.f

For now use the existing menu item to actually adjust the grid, and use the new dialog and provide feedback on how you would like the dialog to work.

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

trevor wrote:Weird, Could you provide the steps you take (clicks, keys) you are using to get to that state ?
Create new map
activate fog of war
select expose polygon
toggle fill in the color selection panel
left click to select start point
draw your polygon with right clicks to select points
<here's the odd part> left click to close and it keeps going, shifts a bit and never closes the polygon

Similar problem with expose freehand with the 'fill' button selected, it doesn't close the drawing and doesn't expose the the fogged area.

Both problems happen with grid snap on or off.

The simple solution might be to disable the 'fill' option on fog.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the RPTrolls are readying another attack of proposed functionality on the developers.

trevor

Post by trevor »

rkathey wrote:The simple solution might be to disable the 'fill' option on fog.
Actually, the color pallete shouldn't be showing up at all for the fog of war tools. That's weird since I don't recall changing code that would have effected that.

For the time being just don't use fill on the fow tools :( I'll fix it up and do another build probably tonight.

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

trevor wrote:For now use the existing menu item to actually adjust the grid, and use the new dialog and provide feedback on how you would like the dialog to work.
numbers. I like putting in the number of pixels per grid :-)

I may be alone in this but all my drawing tools have a 20 pixels = 10 feet (2 pix per foot). Since that's what I use, it would be a simple matter for me to put in some numbers then adjust the grid to overlay the pattern. All the mouse work is a little tiring since I just have the touch pad to work with and don't like carrying around another mouse just for my 'play' time.

rkathey
Giant

Post by rkathey »

trevor wrote:Actually, the color pallete shouldn't be showing up at all for the fog of war tools. That's weird since I don't recall changing code that would have effected that.

For the time being just don't use fill on the fow tools :( I'll fix it up and do another build probably tonight.
I thought it a little odd to allow me to have a burnt orange surrounding my expose fog area (go UT) but I figured it was for ease of coding. By the way, you may not even realize it but with the panel up, and erase on, it puts fog back. :-)

Still, even with that small bug, expose free hand rocks. :!:

trevor

Post by trevor »

From all the various feedback, I'm headed in this direction, everyone tell me what you think:

1) It's important to support scanned maps, which may have non-whole pixel sized grids
2) It's important to keep the UI very simple
3) There are a set of common sizes that map generation tools use, and it's easier to simply type in the known numbers

Item 1 is the reason for the new dialog. 2 is why it uses the mouse, but then it becomes far more complicated than the current method.

What I'm thinking of doing is something similar to the Connect To Server dialog where there are three tabs that allow you to pick your method.

So, the dialogs would be:

Simple
The current method, but contained in the new dialog.

Common
This panel might contain a selection of common sizes, I've heard of 20 and 61. It may also just remember the values you've typed before. This would let you just click on a common size. This panel may be combined with one of the others

Advanced (or Scanned, perhaps)
The new method that allows you to create an arbitrary grid on the map

Direct
Text entry of the different fields.

I've been contemplating making it possible to associate maps with other information such as grid size and offset. This would make it so that you only have to set the grid for a map once, and each time you use it after that it will already be set up.

It would also support a File->Export Map that would put the image, grid info, and other info into an independent file that can be shared with friends . Imagine the rptools.net repository having a selection of maps that already have their grids setup.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:When I do a freehand FOW and have "fill" selected, it does funny things... The polygon I draw jumps to a different spot and sticks even when I zoom in and out.
Maybe "fill" isn't supposed to be selected when using Free FOW :?
Ok, the code is fixed for this, it will go out with the next build.

Return to “Developer Notes”