InitTool Build 11 Progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:Is it case sensitive? If the Custom Property is PS will that match:
<property display="PS" name="ps">Physical Strength</property>
It is case senstivie. The value in the name attribute of the property element must match the name of a custom property entered in the File->Edit Settings dialog.
Originally I had my Custom Property Names in caps but my XML names in lower case. Upon discovering the truth of the above I edited the XML file to change the "name" fields to upper case and the corresponding monster entries as well. It still didn't load the custom properties.

So I changed all back to lower case, including the Custom Property Names, and that worked. Not sure why the upper case didn't work but I'll play with it later and see if I just messed up somewhere.

Is it the plan at some point to actually create the Custom Property Values in IT directly from the data file? Seems like an obvious way to go. If I load a data file for Bunnies & Burrows I get the CPVs for that and if I load one for Deadlands I get the CPVs for that.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Originally I had my Custom Property Names in caps but my XML names in lower case. Upon discovering the truth of the above I edited the XML file to change the "name" fields to upper case and the corresponding monster entries as well. It still didn't load the custom properties.

So I changed all back to lower case, including the Custom Property Names, and that worked. Not sure why the upper case didn't work but I'll play with it later and see if I just messed up somewhere.
Due to the way the database works and how the XStream serialization was working and wanting the UI to look nice I had to introduce multiple names to a property. It is a very long and boring story. So, to make it easier to create the data files I try to automatically generate the other names from the property name. I did this by using the Java naming convention for member variables which is Camel back w/ the first letter of the name in lower case. That code may be broken and causing your problems. If you send my your data file I'll check it out to see if there is any problem.
Phergus wrote:Is it the plan at some point to actually create the Custom Property Values in IT directly from the data file? Seems like an obvious way to go. If I load a data file for Bunnies & Burrows I get the CPVs for that and if I load one for Deadlands I get the CPVs for that.
Part of the work I am doing for b12 is the concept of a game settings file. One of these settings will be which file is used to lookup the combatants. Change the game, change the list of combatants.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:...If you send my your data file I'll check it out to see if there is any problem.
I suspect that I had more than one copy of the file and was editing one while loading another. I'll try it again and see what happens.
jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:Is it the plan at some point to actually create the Custom Property Values in IT directly from the data file? Seems like an obvious way to go. If I load a data file for Bunnies & Burrows I get the CPVs for that and if I load one for Deadlands I get the CPVs for that.
Part of the work I am doing for b12 is the concept of a game settings file. One of these settings will be which file is used to lookup the combatants. Change the game, change the list of combatants.
And will the other settings in the Game Settings file be the Custom Property Values? Or will they be loaded via the Combatants list?

I guess it doesn't matter either way to me. Seems like from an XML perspective that the CPVs should be defined in the combatants file as your current sample file does.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:And will the other settings in the Game Settings file be the Custom Property Values? Or will they be loaded via the Combatants list?

I guess it doesn't matter either way to me. Seems like from an XML perspective that the CPVs should be defined in the combatants file as your current sample file does.
That is what I thought originally, but I changed my mind. I think that putting the property names in the game file promotes sharing the files eaiser. These properties are used in 3 different places already, and scripting support will add all kinds of property references. If they are defined in one common place, then it'll be easy to match things like the combatant lookup file to the group and encounter files. It will also give a definitive set of properties that are available to all the scripts. The properties that have a value will still be contained in the encounters and groups, but only as a name/value pair. But the definitions for these properties will be kept in the game settings file. So, if you want to change the display name of a property for instance, it will show up that way in all of your saved encounters as well as the current one.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Sounds good. This is going to be really neat once it is all in place.

Return to “Developer Notes”