InitTool Build 12

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

InitTool Build 12

Post by jay »

Build 11 of Init Tool should be released real soon, so I wanted to start talking about what should go in build 12. One of the things I need to do is save the encounter and group files as XML. I've been thinking about splitting out the settings into their own game specific file as well. All of the wait states, creature types, and timer types would be saved with the regular settings. That would make it easier to set up the tool for different games. That would also simplify the file menu.

I've also thought about integrating the docking framework that is in maptool. That would make it easier to keep track of the open enocunters, groups, and games.

Thoughts? Comments? Requests?

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

Well adding the docking features may be good or bad...Right now the code needs to be a bit better. I keep losing the tabs which for right now means I lose functions or abilities. Since I don't know how to retrieve them, maybe we should get the code a bit better before using it on more then one program? Just a thought. But like in maptools I lost the token tab so I couldn't change any tokens or anything.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Unfortunately the code is a third party library. If we can't find a way to stabilize it, we'll be "shopping" for a new one.

It seems valuable to get a 1.0 release of Initiativetool first so that users have a stable alternative while we work out the kinks
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

At this point I don't see a need to have the docking functionality as part of IT.

I'm most interested in having the encounter creation functionality sped up through easy access to lists of predefined creature types. Which you are already working on.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I was just suggesting the docking so that init tool could have several things open at one time. I'll stick with the current single document views and just add a third one for the game settings file. Even if I do add flexdoc some time in the future, it wouldn't be until Trevor fixes all the bugs in it first :wink:

Huoliuhi

Great

Post by Huoliuhi »

bump then lurk as soon as possible

Buttmonkey
Kobold

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm a little late to the party as I just downloaded Initiativetool this morning. I was very frustrated that the development build did not allow me to modify the settings the way the release version does. Being forced to pick one of 4 game settings (none of which match the game I play) made the development build largely useless for me. In particular, I want to be able to change the die type used for rolling initiative. Fortunately, the release build gives me everything I need, so I'll be using that instead of the development build. I would greatly appreciate it if the next development build allowed the user to modify settings with the flexibility of the release build.

nwelte1
Giant

Post by nwelte1 »

MT now has an initiative window in the app.

Buttmonkey
Kobold

Post by Buttmonkey »

nwelte1 wrote:MT now has an initiative window in the app.
There, you see what happens? You go and leave my game and now I'm light years behind in my understanding of existing technology! I'll check out MT's initiative window for tonight's game. Thanks for the info!

Return to “Developer Notes”