MapTool 1.2 Build 3 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Perhaps have a standard (300?), but make it adjustable with the knowledge that this will affect performance...
Game On!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:Perhaps have a standard (300?), but make it adjustable with the knowledge that this will affect performance...
Configurable is good
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

dorpond wrote:Or you can make that little box more dynamic; when we click the texture button, all the color boxes will disappear and instead the browsing function and texture pull down will appear in its place.

I am not sure what is easier in a programming perspective.
Why not like Photoshop, you can define an image file as a Texture, and it will display in a larger box when the texture draw tool is selected.

While you're at it, Trevor, you gonna add some effects? Like bevel, emboss, fade/feather, drop shadow, etc? :)
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

SDShannonS
Giant

Post by SDShannonS »

If you get a spare minute or two, can you go ahead and incorporate everything Dundjinni does... only better? That would be great. Thanks. ;)

Shannon

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

trevor wrote:
Emryys wrote:Perhaps have a standard (300?), but make it adjustable with the knowledge that this will affect performance...
Configurable is good
Agreed, It may also be a good idea to have it prompt you to to start a new log every game, so that the files don't get "HUGE"... But so that you can also find things when you are looking for them by game date.

Glock-9mm

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

Last night I got the code written that lets you select a texture as the paint color and select the textures from the Image Explorer.

I'm really not really happy with the Paint Chooser panel though. It only just barely works, I don't think it's user friendly at all. I'll patch up a couple more things and then make a build (probably Wed night), let you guys bang on the paint chooser for a bit and give me some ideas on how to improve it.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Additionally, I'm very tempted to take flexdock out, it's causing too many problems and I don't have to time to track down bugs in the flexdock code.

Try to reintegrate it or another framework later, perhaps 1.3. Then just make the left panel more configurable.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

didnt you say there was an alternate docking solution you were looking at?

trevor

Post by trevor »

aku wrote:didnt you say there was an alternate docking solution you were looking at?
Yes, but we have to figure out licensing. They have a free license for oss, but that might mean not being able to include it in the source repository, which means people couldn't just check out the code and play with it :( We need to investigate that further.

trevor

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:
aku wrote:didnt you say there was an alternate docking solution you were looking at?
Yes, but we have to figure out licensing. They have a free license for oss, but that might mean not being able to include it in the source repository, which means people couldn't just check out the code and play with it :( We need to investigate that further.
Good news, we just heard back from the other company and they have a very flexible OSS license. I'm going to request a license and replace Flexdock. Hopefully it will be more stable.

The company is JIDE soft, you can check out a demo of their docking framework here:

http://jidesoft.com/products/dock.htm

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Looks Promising :)

You know you can't take a feature out, once the Hoard gets used to it... ;)
Game On!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Wow, that JIDE stuff is pretty sweet! It looks like the first demo has semantics for dragging and docking that are very similar (if not identical) to the previous FlexDock library.

I also like the ability to drag between two JFrames. That's not important right now, but I could see DiceTool and InitTool being integrated as components of a single larger tool (that includes MapTool) and then letting the user create multiple top-level windows ("JFrames") or simply dragging all the interesting stuff into a single window. The advantage here would be for people who use dual monitors: one monitor for MapTool, and one for all other tools but with the ability to integrate them into a single top-level window. Folks with a single monitor would probably want a single window to hold everything...

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

OK even better. I Love the ability to move the boxes outside the main window. It also seems to have the ability to create new areas in an intuitive way.

trevor

Post by trevor »

OK, got the jide docking framework integrated, it's much better, and was really crazy easy to integrate !

I was going to do a build tonight, but Calen (my 4yr old) had an ear ache, so we went to the After Hours clinic, which is notorious for being slow.

So looks like build 3 will happen on Thursday

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:So looks like build 3 will happen on Thursday
As always, family comes first - I hope his ear ache gets better.

Return to “Developer Notes”