MapTool 1.2 Build 3 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.2 Build 3 progress

Post by trevor »

So I've found a possible solution for the chat performance issue. Basically instead of creating one massive document, create each message as an html document, and then dump them all into a scrollable list.

However, I'm having a bit of a challenge getting it to scroll to the bottom of the list when you add a new message. I can get it to within a couple pixels, but it's just Not Quite There yet. But good progress.

Next ... fix more vision bugs that you all have found, and add in textured paint.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: MapTool 1.2 Build 3 progress

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:Next ... and add in textured paint.
Very Cool!

Dark_Wyvern
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool 1.2 Build 3 progress

Post by Dark_Wyvern »

dorpond wrote:
trevor wrote:Next ... and add in textured paint.
Very Cool!
Seconded. That would make impromptu encounters super easy!

trevor

Post by trevor »

I've updated the underyling drawing code to take a Paint instead of a Color which allows it to use images as the paint color. I hard wired in a cobblestone image for testing, and it was totally awesome: just freehand draw a shape and it fills and scales correctly. Neat !

So now the hard part: making the texture paint selection in the UI. Uhg. This part is really sucking. I was thinking I could put in a copy of the image explorer similar to the way the new map dialog works. But that feels really, well, overkill.

So I'm thinking about creating a panel that has a bunch of defaults, in a grid, and then in the Image Explorer you can right click an image and set it as the current texture, which adds it to the texture list.

Feel free to come up with a better system !

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

How about this:
Currently we have 5 Icons to click on in the top bar. Between the pointer icon and the template icon we have the drawing icon. When we click on that, we get a sub-menu of drawing tools. When we click on any of those sub-items (except the text icon), that little box that appears on the right hand side should be where the fill is. In there, have a button to check that says "texture fill". When we check that box, a pull down will be made available where we can select the texture from our list.

We should have the ability to browse our folders though because many of us have thousands of texture files catagorized in many sub folders :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Or you can make that little box more dynamic; when we click the texture button, all the color boxes will disappear and instead the browsing function and texture pull down will appear in its place.

I am not sure what is easier in a programming perspective.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: We should have the ability to browse our folders though because many of us have thousands of texture files catagorized in many sub folders :)
That's what the Image Explorer right click -> Use as texture is for :)

huhlig
Giant

Post by huhlig »

Ok, this may sound stupid. Why not just handle chat like IRC clients do. You store the last 500 lines and disregard the rest from memory. Its available via log file if needed but why do you need all of it in memory.

trevor

Post by trevor »

huhlig wrote:Ok, this may sound stupid. Why not just handle chat like IRC clients do. You store the last 500 lines and disregard the rest from memory. Its available via log file if needed but why do you need all of it in memory.
That's certainly a possibility. What do you heavy chat users think ?

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

IRC has a simple layout/format, and 200 lines is "heaps".

Glock-9mm (NZ)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Glock-9mm wrote:"heaps".
As in, that's plenty ?

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

trevor wrote:
Glock-9mm wrote:"heaps".
As in, that's plenty ?
Yup, though if you take this line of attack with regards to the chat issue you need to consider where "eventually" the dice tool/Ini tool readouts are going to be displayed.

G-9mm (NZ and off to work.)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I would want the whole chat log available for record keeping so please do not pick a solution that trashes old content.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:I would want the whole chat log available for record keeping so please do not pick a solution that trashes old content.
The entire transcript would be available, but perhaps not directly in the chat panel.

huhlig
Giant

Post by huhlig »

In IRC, the entire log is available offline, and you can set your bugger size.
The Logs are stored on disk so you dont need to worry about loosing them, its just what is stored in memory.

Return to “Developer Notes”