MT 1.3b60 Progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: MT 1.3b60 Progress

Post by trevor »

Additionally, the feature provides the needed parts to download remote files and install them. That opens the door for further enhancement for things such as GM only browse-able libraries
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Don't include .rptoks in the zip file you upload. Then the players can't see them. Dropping a token on the map is a very quick download for the players, unless you're using huge images resized down.

For dungeons, just use tilesets except for really good set pieces, which are usually small anyway.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Question, can local zips be selected as well?

All my players share a directory on dropbox, and while I'm not worried about cheating I also would like to make it easy for them not to stumble onto stuff. Putting a zip in the dropbox (which shows up as a local directory that is sync'd) would allow them to add to the library with files that are already on their computer.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

plothos wrote:(No offense to the repository function, but the simple fact is I can never tell if it's doing anything - I've used it a lot and still have no idea if it's ever even worked, much less helped.)
Yes, I was wondering this myself. I set up a repository to be used for my Tuesday night game and couldn't be sure it was being used. I mean, MapTool grabbed the index file but it still went back to the MT server for images (I could tell because I was running some network trace tools to figure this out!).

If I ever get back into the MT code again, I'll add a "hit counter" for each repository in the list. Then a client can see how many times an image has been grabbed from the repository and perhaps a total size for data downloaded? (That second one might be a bit tougher.)

Btw, I noticed that when an MT client on another machine on the LAN was grabbing data from the MT server it's "red light" (bottom right corner) lit up, but the green light on the MT server did not. Isn't it supposed to?

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

... While I agree this change is useful... This probably would have been one of those things that someone should have said... "Heck with it. Anything else broke? No. Good. 1.3 is stable on build 60. 1.4 build 1 will start with this, and x,x, and x."
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Notsonoble wrote:... While I agree this change is useful... This probably would have been one of those things that someone should have said... "Heck with it. Anything else broke? No. Good. 1.3 is stable on build 60. 1.4 build 1 will start with this, and x,x, and x."
Trust me, if anyone wants to bury 1.3, it is Trevor.

With that said, my guess is that this 'thing' he is putting in is probably trivial to code. If it gets messy, I am sure he will can the thought for another day.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

trevor

Post by trevor »

Notsonoble wrote:... While I agree this change is useful... This probably would have been one of those things that someone should have said... "Heck with it. Anything else broke? No. Good. 1.3 is stable on build 60. 1.4 build 1 will start with this, and x,x, and x."
This is true.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Wow, this is really cool. I'm very grateful that this is being considered. Thanks for taking the time to find a workaround for the 10Mb worth of assets.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

torstan wrote:Wow, this is really cool. I'm very grateful that this is being considered. Thanks for taking the time to find a workaround for the 10Mb worth of assets.
We are very grateful that an artist of your caliber made such an awesome artpack to bundle with MT. Thank you so much! :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

I'd have preferred Import Map over this, 100 to 1.

And yes, I realize there are scuffs on my groovy black disc ;)

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Nope, 1.3 can't be stable until 1.3b65.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

OK Gang, here is the latest update on where 1.3b60 stands. Simply put, it is the most stable version to date and now has a REALLY cool way of adding new Image Libraries.

Man, can you see the potential here? :)

http://dorpond.rptools.net/demos/Resour ... orial.html

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the vid Dorpond.

The cool thing is that the list is retrieved from the server, so new art packs can be added at any time and all b60 versions and beyond can pick them up.

barinax
Giant

Post by barinax »

trevor wrote:Thanks for the vid Dorpond.

The cool thing is that the list is retrieved from the server, so new art packs can be added at any time and all b60 versions and beyond can pick them up.
In the words of Monica Gellar, "I think I just had a tiny orgasm."

Really awesome work guys. WotC should come to you for their game table building needs! :lol:

trevor

Post by trevor »

Also, the video didn't show it in detail, but the middle "world" button lets you put in a URL to a zip file, and download it directly, so a GM can email out a URL to their own library files.

Return to “Developer Notes”