A MapTool Extension API - Discussion

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

bstrdsmkr
Cave Troll

Re: A MapTool Extension API - Discussion

Post by bstrdsmkr »

not sure i really understand the security aspect. I mean if you're not computer savvy, you're probably not going to be using MT, let alone installing extensions and etc. And if someone were going to launch a DDoS, would MT really be the tool of choice? I mean i can see limiting the number of requests allowed per interval, but i think most of that should fall to the add on dev.

What am i missing?

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

bstrdsmkr wrote:not sure i really understand the security aspect. I mean if you're not computer savvy, you're probably not going to be using MT
This is not true, there are a lot of people who are not computer savvy that use MapTool, a lot of threads pop up with the first few lines asking for help with MapTool and explaining they are not computer savvy.

bstrdsmkr
Cave Troll

Post by bstrdsmkr »

Point taken. At the same time though, i'd be willing to wager that those are 90% or better first time users, and that a majority of those are going to be led by someone else. I think if they're comfortable playing rpgs the probably know better than to install random stuff if they don't know what it is. For that matter, i could just as easily post up an .exe named superAwesomeFrameworkforMapTools.exe and probably snare a lot more people. just my two copper :mrgreen:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

You're not taking into account pickup games that are being run at conventions or through the so-called "Living" campaigns.

I've been thinking about this for awhile and at some point I might add the ability to read/write files in a directory immediately below .maptool and nowhere else. But this is a low-priority item.

bstrdsmkr
Cave Troll

Post by bstrdsmkr »

Honestly I think that's all that's really necessary, bc from there, it's easy to write a simple prog to fetch data from say a website and write it to a file in that dir. That way it's a stand alone app. And if it's exposed to macro script/javascript, each app could have it's own file and a corresponding macro/script to look for the info.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Don't get too excited. ;)

There are still denial-of-service attacks, such as filling up the user's disk with garbage data.

Writing code to check those kinds of issues isn't fun. And enterprising people will always find ways to cause havoc so adding a feature like this means supporting it for the rest of my life (since once it's in use it can't be removed without breaking compatibility). And that's not something I'm going to commit to easily. 8)

Return to “Developer Notes”