MapTool build notes for Eclipse

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

neofax
Great Wyrm

Re: MapTool build notes for Eclipse

Post by neofax »

Well, it didn't hamper what I was trying to do as all of the files still reside in the /tmp directory and work fine. I was playing around with them using a old campaign.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I see you got the build working...

Running the build of any of the top-level tools -- MT, CT, DT, etc -- will cause the build number to go up. As Joe says, there's a file named conf/build.number that contains the build number. You can always edit that file and set the number to whatever you want. There is a separate ANT target for building the JAR files now I think -- I seem to recall that I needed to split that out in order to do the OSX builds since I didn't want them processed the same way.

The build system is too compressed in any case. It should have a bunch of different targets in a hierarchy so that the developer can build the tool to any point: compile only, compile/verify resources, compile/verify resources/build JARs, compile/verify/build/pack, compile/verify/build/pack/sign, and so on. It would be nice to have them broken out better but I'm not spending time on that mess for 1.3. We hope to use Maven for 1.4 and it automates a lot of that so it's not worth spending time on at this point.

Your first comment about "hard to build for non-developers" is sort of an oxymoron: if you're trying to compile and build an application, you are a developer. Or to use Sun's terminology, you're a deployment engineer. ;) (I think that's the term. It may be "librarian" or "build librarian", but you get the idea. 8))

harkin
Kobold

Post by harkin »

This post and the one on subversion have been really useful, and maptool is great.
I am having a bit of trouble though.

When trying to build Maptool I get the following error :-
Project 'maptool' is missing required library: 'lib/upnplib-1.0.9-nodebug.jar'
I've googled it and looked through the files but cannot find it anywhere.

It references upnplib-1.0.9-nodebug.jar in the classpath but if I delete it I get 25 other errors.

It has been a while since I did any coding so I could be missing something obvious.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh, glad you found them useful. :)

You may have checked out an older revision that didn't have that library included. I realized I hadn't checked it in and did so a few weeks ago. I just checked and it is definitely there in rev 5971, the current one.

A bigger issue is that the source code for that library hasn't been uploaded anywhere yet. I created a separate project in Eclipse and I need to get it uploaded. Probably to the github location Craig put up, but I'm not sure that library will survive through to MT 2.0 so I've been hesitating. In the mean time I need to create a new project using the new SourceForge.net interface and put it there, but since the URL is different from the other checkout URLs I've been delaying it until I'm ready to put out b90. (It seems new projects appear under the SVN drop down menu on SF as a separate entry, q.v. the Launcher project. I wanted to find some way to integrate the launcher so it would look like the existing projects, but that doesn't seem to be possible; at least, not for the small amount of research I've done on this so far.)

harkin
Kobold

Post by harkin »

Thanks for that.

For some reason I was checking out revision 5970 but now I have 5971
I've now got Maptool built without errors.

But... :roll:

Whenever I try to run the launcher it says 'Could not create the Java virtual machine' and the console shows
'Unrecognized option: -Xdock:name=MapTool' which looks like an Apple command.

Is this a config issue or have I got serious problems?

Again thanks for your help.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Oops. My bad. :(

I do my testing on OSX and you're right, that's an OSX-specific option. Delete it from the configuration and you should be good to go. I've updated those settings and committed. We're at rev 5973.

harkin
Kobold

Post by harkin »

Thank you for your help.

Just to let you know I've got maptool building and running.
I went for a completely different approach as I am running Win7 64bit.

I had installed the 64 bit version of Eclipse and some 64 bit java jkds, so I got rid of it all and went for a pure 32 bit setup.

I followed MetaGamer's approach here http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=105 and made sure I used the 32 bit version of everything.
I used this url https://svn.code.sf.net/p/rptools/svn/ for the svn (I checked out the rplib.resource too, although I'm not sure if I need it!)
I had to use the java 6u45 jdk as the version 5 I had wasn't liking the exceptions in the code.

Everything built automatically and maptool ran from the MapToolClient(std) link.
So now I can try and break it again with my coding!

smaudet2
Cave Troll

Post by smaudet2 »

FYI this build is completely broken it looks like from ant's perspective.

Working on getting to build there, not hard, just needs done.

Ugh, this is horrible. We have two separate svn repos which are interdependent on each other's build files...

Someone doesn't know how to structure a project properly.

UPDATE:

there is a missing config file...

UPDATE2:

Got maptool to build, however this dist target is failing.

I have a pretty good idea of all the problems with the build, as well as a couple solution paths.

So far I've had to modify some relative paths that are assuming the svn is being checked out in a different manner. Since I don't have write access the best thing I can do is:

A) fork the project on github, with instructions how to build. Not sure the best way to contribute patches back to the main project though this way
B) create a 'patches' project on github with instructions on the right way to checkout and build this stuff, as well as patches for saner, less clunky building. I'll have to figure out if there's a good ignore file for svn so that git devs can develop and ignore changes related to building.

Its a bad sign that the .project files are in the repository at all.

This project really needs to be migrated to Git+MVN though, this would be so much easier that way.

UPDATE3:

I think I may just start a new thread on this, keep on finding gotchas. I've nearly got it working, its trying to sign the jars though (X_X).

For someone who's never done any of this stuff before, this is way too much work. It would take them days, if not weeks, to get this to build.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Looks like you've been busy reading posts from 2013 and earlier and trying to catch up. I know it can be daunting going through a forum that has 10 years of posts...

So, just an FYI: The SVN repo has been handled by people part time and in their spare time and handed off once or twice. There was a couple of misfires on getting MT to the next "version" and lots of "plans" to update everything. That was around Java 1.6.

It's been a little stagnate and one developer went off on his own with MOTE. Now, it EVENTUALLY will be open source back to the community. When and how that is received is to be determined.

If you wish to get things updated and serious about contributing, you want to talk with Craig. He's moved us over to GitHub and working on rebuilding the build scripts. I've been personally dabbling with a patch here or there with some new feature and would love to see a 1.4 take off.

So...take all the Eclipse/SVN with a grain of salt. Get the latest repo from GitHub. SVN will be around really for emergency patching of legacy 1.3b91 if needed but nothing else should get checked in from this point.
-Jamz

smaudet2
Cave Troll

Post by smaudet2 »

K, I'll look at the github. I have enough versions of RPTool checked out atm. Thank goodness I have the hard drive space for it. :P

https://github.com/RPTools

Is the github address I think.

I think it would be really helpful to paste links to the SVN/Github, as well as their status, on the main website. As you say, 10 years of forum is a lot to wade through.

When you search on Github for rptools you come up with a bunch of junk repos, so I don't think its a good answer to 'just look on github'. Besides, who's to say you guys were officially using Github? It could have just been some hack forking your project and this is actually not rptools at all. How am I to know?

Anyways, thank you.

EDIT:

I see Dicetool is in limbo:

https://github.com/RPTools/dicetool

I wanted to make a couple changes here, maybe I'll import the stuff from the svn and submit a pull request against craig's repo.
Last edited by smaudet2 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

True true, there are a lot of junk repos out there.

You got the right one though. Craig and Az are the ones with the "Keys" right now. And I know what you mean, I have 4 or 5 projects and checkouts in eclipse myself with a few personal builds.

Things are in flux right now and have been on life support for a while. Feel free to pump some energy into it!
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

smaudet2 wrote:I think it would be really helpful to paste links to the SVN/Github, as well as their status, on the main website. As you say, 10 years of forum is a lot to wade through.
that's actually a great idea. it makes a lot of sense to put the open source access on the main forum instead of here. I'll try to draw rptrolls attention to this post.

smaudet2
Cave Troll

Post by smaudet2 »

Welp.

I can't even Pull Request against the dicetool project...unless I'm doing something wrong.

I tried to manually pull dicetool, add my own origin on github, and then submit a pull request against origin...but I'm pretty sure that won't work because origin has no branches, no commits, nothin'.

Not a bug on Github's part I don't think because the potential to spam by forking empty repositories would exist otherwise...

Guess I'll PM Craig to see if he can upload something, anything, and then I can pull request against it.

For the un-initiated, you can fork a repo, then pull request it, so that the people with 'keys' can review and merge your changes without giving up their access and without giving access willy nilly to strangers. I'm not trying to actually fork maptool, just fork it within git(hub)'s terminology for the purpose of being a newbie.

This is the right Craig, yes?
http://forums.rptools.net/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=1338

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Yep, that's him. He's an Aussie. Time runs backwards down there, or something. Anyway, it sometimes takes a day to respond. :D

I don't think there's been any work to DiceTool for a long while and I'm unsure of the state of it. Jay's worked on InitTool and CharTool. Jamz has done some work to TokenTool and Craig has been shepherding MapTool, transitioning the build and patch process from Az.

I think there is a fear of going above build 99 for 1.3. Something about borking the build. I know Craig did some work a few months back cleaning up the build process after he transitioned to Github.

Also, I'll add a link to the main site pointing to the proper repository. It's something I wouldn't have thought was needed until now. :shock:

Oh, and welcome aboard.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “Developer Notes”