MapTool: Missing i18n Files?

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

prestidigitator
Dragon

MapTool: Missing i18n Files?

Post by prestidigitator »

I'm trying to build and run MapTool for the first time from the SVN source. (I'm doing it from a Linux command line, not from Eclipse, though as far as I know it shouldn't make much of a difference.) Here's where I am so far:

1.) I have a base directory, under which I checked out the trunks of each of the following projects: common.build, maptool, maptool.resource, parser, rplib (for example, the "maptool" subdirectory is a checkout of https://rptools.svn.sourceforge.net/svn ... tool/trunk).

2.) I have successfully built each of the projects using a command like "ant -lib ../common.build/lib -lib lib" from its sub-directory.

3.) From the "maptool" subdirectory, I am trying to run the program. Here is my CLASSPATH variable:

Code: Select all

build:lib/abeille-formsrt-2.0.jar:lib/antlr-2.7.6.jar:lib/BareBonesBrowserLaunch.jar:lib/clientserver-1.0.b17.jar:lib/commons-beanutils-1.8.0.jar:lib/commons-collections-3.2.1.jar:lib/commons-jxpath-1.1.jar:lib/commons-lang-2.4.jar:lib/commons-logging-1.1.1.jar:lib/decktool-1.0.b1.jar:lib/dicelib-1.0.b18.jar:lib/ezmorph-1.0.5.jar:lib/hessian-3.1.6.jar:lib/jide-common-2.7.3.jar:lib/jide-components-2.7.3.jar:lib/jide-dialogs-2.7.3.jar:lib/jide-dock-2.7.3.jar:lib/jide-editor-2.7.3.jar:lib/jide-grids-2.7.3.jar:lib/jide-oss-2.7.3.jar:lib/jide-properties-2.7.3.jar:lib/jl1.0.jar:lib/js-1.7R1.jar:lib/json-lib-2.2.2-jdk15.jar:lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar:lib/maptool.resource-1.0.b18.jar:lib/parser-1.1.b22.jar:lib/renderpack-1.2004.jar:lib/rplib-1.0.b119.jar:lib/sbbi-upnplib-1.0.4.jar:lib/servicediscoverylib-1.0.b5.jar:lib/swing-worker-0.1.jar:lib/tinylaf-1.3.04.jar:lib/withay-util.jar:lib/xpp3_min-1.1.4c.jar:lib/xstream-1.3.1.jar:lib/yasb-0.2-21012007.jar
(This is the "build" directory plus every JAR in the "lib" directory.)

Here is the command I'm using try to to run MapTool:

java -cp $CLASSPATH net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool
What I get is the splash screen and the following output:

TinyLaF v1.3.04
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.AppMenuBar.createFileMenu(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.AppMenuBar.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name net.rptools.maptool.language.i18n, locale en_US
	at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:1427)
	at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:1250)
	at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:705)
	at net.rptools.maptool.language.I18N.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
	... 3 more
The program then hangs on the splash screen and I have to kill it. Obviously I'm missing some i18n files, but I have no idea where they are (or where to get them), where they SHOULD be, or what I am missing from my class path. The only "i18n" directory I can find is "src/net/rptools/lib/i18n" under "rplib", and that doesn't look right. I confirmed that the "maptool" build IS running the "copy-resources" target without error.

Any suggestions?
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

Phergus
Deity

Re: MapTool: Missing i18n Files?

Post by Phergus »

The i18n files are all under src\net\rptools\maptool\language.

Are you maybe not in the correct working directory?

prestidigitator
Dragon

Ahhh. I had to add "src" to the class path also. Now it's working. Thanks!
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Groovy. Of course if you just used Eclipse all that path stuff would have been handled for you. :D

prestidigitator
Dragon

Bah! vi is my editor, jdb is my debugger, javac and ant are my compiler, and standard err/out is my console. My terminal window is already an IDE! :P :)

EDIT: I've used Eclipse plenty in the past, and it's not bad for a graphical IDE. I just always find myself happily going back to the basics.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

prestidigitator wrote:Bah! vi is my editor, jdb is my debugger, javac and ant are my compiler, and standard err/out is my console. My terminal window is already an IDE! :P :)

EDIT: I've used Eclipse plenty in the past, and it's not bad for a graphical IDE. I just always find myself happily going back to the basics.
http://eclim.org/

I have not tried it but it looks awful tempting :)
I prefer vim -- even standard vi -- over the eclipse editor, but the MapTool build environment is entrenched in eclipse thinking :( Maybe I can convince Azhrei that the
whole build process needs to be cleaned up, hmmm :)

prestidigitator
Dragon

Craig wrote:
prestidigitator wrote:Bah! vi is my editor, jdb is my debugger, javac and ant are my compiler, and standard err/out is my console. My terminal window is already an IDE! :P :)

http://eclim.org/

I have not tried it but it looks awful tempting :)
I prefer vim -- even standard vi -- over the eclipse editor, but the MapTool build environment is entrenched in eclipse thinking :( Maybe I can convince Azhrei that the
whole build process needs to be cleaned up, hmmm :)
Ahh. Cool. Maybe I'll give it a go sometime.

Honestly I found that the build wasn't that bad. The one thing I think I'd suggest adding is an Ant task for running the application, but it's not a big deal really.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Oh, I'd love to clean it up. I tried adding an ANT task for bundling the MapTool JAR file for OSX, but that apparently is not what is needed.

However, I really do want a cleaner out-of-Eclipse build environment.

@prest: If you made changes to any of the project files I'd like to get a patch so it can be included in SVN. 8)

prestidigitator
Dragon

Azhrei wrote:@prest: If you made changes to any of the project files I'd like to get a patch so it can be included in SVN. 8)
I didn't. Project files aren't used outside of Eclipse, and I didn't change any of the ant build files. The most I had to do was add "-lib libDir" arguments to ant on the command line (e.g. most or all of my build commands were "ant -lib ../common.build/lib -lib lib") and figure out how to paste a working class path together for execution.

Yeah, I suppose the build files could be modified to include the required JARs instead of requiring '-lib' arguments, and that would make things smoother. Maybe I'll look into doing that at some point, but it'll take brushing up on my ant syntax again. Heh.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Well, if you have a script then I'd be happy to include that in the conf/ directory for anyone else who wants to do the same thing.

I'm a little surprised that an ant build doesn't "just work" since Eclipse is merely invoking ant to do the work. However, there are JARs under the common.build project that are used by ant, such as the javascript support and pack200 support libraries... Right now the Eclipse project adds the JARs to the ant configuration, but they should probably be inside the build file.

Return to “Developer Notes”