Eclipse and JVM 1.5

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Notsonoble
Dragon

Eclipse and JVM 1.5

Post by Notsonoble »

Okay... I downloaded eclipse, get an error that I need JVM 1.5, no problem go and download and install the latest JDK... still saying I'm running 1.4.x

WinXP 32...

What am I missing?

Odd, when I type java -version at the command line it says I'm running 1.4...

I'm gonna try a uninstall of java and reinstall from scratch... we'll see...
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Eclipse and JVM 1.5

Post by jfrazierjr »

Notsonoble wrote:Okay... I downloaded eclipse, get an error that I need JVM 1.5, no problem go and download and install the latest JDK... still saying I'm running 1.4.x

WinXP 32...

What am I missing?

Odd, when I type java -version at the command line it says I'm running 1.4...

I'm gonna try a uninstall of java and reinstall from scratch... we'll see...
Reboot between the uninstall and reinstall. Also, you might want to install both 1.5 and 1.6. In Eclipse, you can tell each project which JVM to use in building the project source. The reason I say this is 1.6 has some pretty good speed improvements over 1.5, but some things may not be binary compatible, so you have to compile in 1.5(Maptool at least) and then play in 1.6 for example.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

Okay, uninstalled java... rebooted and found that somewhere on this machine java is still installed... I've even dug through the program files folder manually...

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

Nevermind, I figured it out... the local EMR stuff has a copy of jre 1.4 in its own folders... -__-

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

If you go to the Control Panel and open the Java Control Panel applet, it should tell you the location of all your installed java VMs.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

Yeah, it didn't find this one for some reason... probably because UTMB messed with it before packing it all up in our EMR folder...

Return to “Developer Notes”