Image Explorer usability enhancement ?

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Image Explorer usability enhancement ?

Post by trevor »

I was looking at Mr Ice's latest screenshot up at rptools.net, and I noticed that the image explorer had the top part, the tree, nearly fully collapsed.

It caused me to think, the most important part of the image explorer is the thumbnails. Once you've picked a directory, you really don't need to see the tree anymore.

Here's what I'm thinking: Make the top part of the image explorer a single dropdown. When you click it, you get the full tree from which you can expand, collapse, navigate to the path you want, select it, and the image thumbs update.

What do you guys think, improvement, or unuseful ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

I actually organize my tokens into sub-directories, so have the tree visible, albeit small, works well for this sort of organization.
~Giliath

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

If the image explorer tree automatically collapsed after a folder was chosen could be handy. Maybe make it optional or with a box to pin it open like with the chat.

How did Mr Ice get the tokens to show side by side?

I find that the left function areas sometimes take up unecessary space. If you could make it so the top/bottom borders were adjustable like in the image explorer area and not just collapsable would help. I may only have 4 players connected so I don't need 1/3 of the left side taken up by 'connnections' yet may still wish to see them...
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:How did Mr Ice get the tokens to show side by side?
The entire left panel can be resized by dragging the border between the left and center panels.

storyguide3
Kobold

While we're at it...

Post by storyguide3 »

If you're tinkering with the explorer panel, any chance of getting a filename view. When browsing through masses of tokens (eg. in a monster manual folder) it would be a lot easier (for me anyway) to be able to see the file names.

As to the OP, your drop-down suggestion sounds cool to me.
Brad Johnston
Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

trevor

Re: While we're at it...

Post by trevor »

storyguide3 wrote:any chance of getting a filename view. When browsing through masses of tokens (eg. in a monster manual folder) it would be a lot easier (for me anyway) to be able to see the file names.
Filenames. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I think I might be able to do something about that.

There was a request recently to support a different view of the tokens, as a list. Perhaps I could put in a View toggle to switch between the two views.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:If you could make it so the top/bottom borders were adjustable like in the image explorer area and not just collapsable would help.
I'll see what I can do :)

Return to “Developer Notes”