New Dev questions

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Stormkitten
Kobold

New Dev questions

Post by Stormkitten »

I'm interested in updating the rendering of a few of the macros.
I've managed to get MapTools running in Eclipse, and made the needed code changes.
However, I have some questions about versioning, logging, and the build environment.

Our RP group currently uses version 1.3.b75, but I couldn't find this version to check out. The tags stop at 1.3.b71.
Is there a way to get the code for a release version, instead of the current development version?

I could not get console logging to work on a package level basis.
Changing the root logger in maptool/client/logging.xml to use DEBUG and 'console' worked.
However, adding the following to the file did not:
<logger name="net.rptools.maptool.client.macro">
<level value="debug"/>
<appender-ref ref="console" />
</logger>
I'm used to using a log4j.properties flat file, not xml, so this may be wrong.
What do I need to do to get this working?

Last, and most important - At the moment, the changed version runs in Eclipse.
Now that I've made the change, how do I produce a .jar file that my group can use to run this modified version?

Once this is working, I'll summarise the changes I've made, in case anyone is interested in them.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: New Dev questions

Post by Azhrei »

I've been playing fast and loose with the tags because I've known we're going to switch to Git for 1.4. So I haven't really been bother to keep up with it.

Check the history for the maptool project and read the comments. I include a comment that says "1.3.bXX" so that's the revision to grab. Maybe I'll go back and add tags for those revisions but don't count on it. :|

I don't know why your XML didn't work, as the content seems right. I can only expect it's the position within the file. In any case, that's the wrong way to handle it. If you look under maptool/resources/bin/ you'll find some sample XML files that can be placed in the .maptool/ directory and will be read and integrated at run time.

In some future version the logging will have a GUI front-end so that it can be changed from inside MT...

JAR files can be built using the ANT build.xml file in the top level project directory. You can run the ANT build from inside Eclipse by right-clicking on the build.xml file and choosing Run As > Ant Build... then choosing the generate-jar target. Look in the maptool/tmp/ directory (part of the project space) for the results.

If you're interested in modifying the source in some way, it might behoove you to speak up prior to spending a lot of time on something. There's a good chance someone here can give you a quick answer to your question. And the question will have been answered for other developers that come after you as well.

And if not, at least you didn't waste more than 5 minutes posting the question. :)

Stormkitten
Kobold

Re: New Dev questions

Post by Stormkitten »

Thank you for the prompt and detailed response. I totally understand about the tagging, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with 1.4.

I've now managed to produce a standalone maptools build, with my modified code. I needed the information from this thread (the fifth post, about common.build). I also commented out the signing section of common-webstart-targets.xml.

This is what I've been doing:

These are the new output formats we're using for players (top three) and impersonated tokens (bottom three)
/s Tests.
/me tests.
/e A test. (now available to all players, not just GMs)

The main change (and the one that triggered all this) is that when you do an emote as an impersonated token, you get the token portrait showing up.

Return to “Developer Notes”