Feature Request Alternative

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Feature Request Alternative

Post by joshsziegler »

I'm not sure what was ever decided for the "wall of features" thread below, but I like this basic setup which you have all probably seen:

http://codebase.uservoice.com/forums/25794-codebasehq

Basically a user gets 10 votes and can vote on an existing request or create a new one. There wouldn't be money involved like the previous thread talked about. This might be a good compromise however. The service offers a free version which would allow us to at least get a pulse for the communities' needs beyond these forums. Which the forums are great, but they don't allow us to easily quantify and visualize the data.

Which I realize that you are building up new architecture for 1.4, however it might be a good exercise for us to understand the user stories while we are planning that new design. That way we are designing the best tool, not just a clone of 1.3.

Thoughts?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Feature Request Alternative

Post by jfrazierjr »

Sounds good to me. I wonder how hard it would be to pull off on our existing BB software.
joshsziegler wrote:Which I realize that you are building up new architecture for 1.4, however it might be a good exercise for us to understand the user stories while we are planning that new design. That way we are designing the best tool, not just a clone of 1.3.
Sounds like you use the Agile methodology....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Post by joshsziegler »

I wonder how hard it would be to pull off on our existing BB software.
That's a good idea. That way we can just give each registered user their votes and they don't have to sign up for yet another site...
Sounds like you use the Agile methodology...
Yep. Worse is better ya know.. :D

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hm. Perhaps we can add a numeric field to the user accounts in phpBB3, then include a button on each post (or thread) so that users can vote.

We already plan some changes for the Feature Request and Bug Report forums; if those two forums had this feature, users could vote (thumbs up/thumbs down) on the most important Features and/or Bugs that should be worked on first.

Anyone familiar with PHP and the phpBB3 forum software? Any work done in this direction will need to be integrated into the themes that are currently in use (and we'll drop those that no one is actually using). If you are interested in working on this, PM me and describe your background and why you think you can tackle this project. I have some UI ideas (user, mod, and admin) to chat about first... Thanks.

Return to “Developer Notes”