Developer progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Developer progress

Post by trevor »

Looks like we'll be moving M9 to 1.0 this weekend .... WOOOOO ! It's been just over a year in the making :)

Which opens 1.1 development wiiiiide open (although i've already started).

The hexes are coming along. Some of the zone-cell-zone calculations are being a little fickle, but shouldn't be long now. Then on to the official features.

I know we've gone over this before, but curious if it's still the same, what are the top features you guys are interested in ? Pick your top 1 to 3 (saying "everything on the tracker list" isn't helpful) and post them here.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

chrobry
Cave Troll

Re: Developer progress

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:Looks like we'll be moving M9 to 1.0 this weekend .... WOOOOO ! It's been just over a year in the making :)

Which opens 1.1 development wiiiiide open (although i've already started).

The hexes are coming along. Some of the zone-cell-zone calculations are being a little fickle, but shouldn't be long now. Then on to the official features.

I know we've gone over this before, but curious if it's still the same, what are the top features you guys are interested in ? Pick your top 1 to 3 (saying "everything on the tracker list" isn't helpful) and post them here.
First of all WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! great job.

Secondly, well let's see here is my list:
1) Light revealing FOW
2) Above, not going through doors/walls etc..
3) DM Secret layer.

(can I sneak in 4? Full Screen)

Thanks Trevor!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Tell me more about #3, what would you put on it, how would you interact with it ?

chrobry
Cave Troll

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:Tell me more about #3, what would you put on it, how would you interact with it ?
Well I see it work in two different ways.

One would be tokens (maybe map on top of a map), or objects such as drawn boxes/text, etc.. things like that. These would be seperately visible/invisible as I desire. Then I can simply reveal them as needed.

However the issue with tokens is that they are one shape only. What if I needed a whole room not to show up? I can't currently do that. So if I could import a map and have multiple maps in the same map, that would do it.

Second way is just second ahm fourth I guess drawing tools that are you can trace your map with (or just portion of the map). That way you can make these drawing seperate from FOW or from being shown in any way except when purposely revealed.

Sorry if I am writing this quick, and I hope I am making sense. At work with little time :)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

1) New scripting functionality to do inline dice rolls
2) associate values with tokens so I can have hp, ac, and initiative (and a host of others)
3) token grouping panel with values in it so I can modify hp, init etc as part of the window.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Killydd
Cave Troll

Post by Killydd »

My major request would be for erasable drawables, such as you might use to put down spell effects that you know are going away in a few rounds, but probably aren't going away as a stack. (one person casts a spell that affects an area for three rounds, then another casts one that will affect an area for 4 rounds, you want to be able to removethe first spell effect first)

the number two would be movable drawables, just like the light source except possibly in a few different colors and always visible. My use for these would be like auras, or when a spell is cast on an object that will then move around(such as silence)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Killydd wrote:My major request would be for erasable drawables, such as you might use to put down spell effects that you know are going away in a few rounds, but probably aren't going away as a stack. (one person casts a spell that affects an area for three rounds, then another casts one that will affect an area for 4 rounds, you want to be able to removethe first spell effect first)
There are two things that should help this. The first is layers, the second is the restructuring of templates. With layers you can create as many drawable layers as you like, with the ability to add/remove, hide/show, move them independently. The templates themselves are going to become selectable and move/deleteable.
Killydd wrote: the number two would be movable drawables, just like the light source except possibly in a few different colors and always visible. My use for these would be like auras, or when a spell is cast on an object that will then move around(such as silence)
This might take a little while to get to. The trickiness come in to play with how the erase works. But the layers discussed above should also help with this.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Hexes, but I assume those are a given ;)

1)Rotable facing of tokens
The whole token doesn't have to rotate, but perhaps a designation of facing like an arrow on a compass or the token ring/overlay has the arrow and is rotatable...
Have it "snap" to square/hex sides and spines, so 8 facings for squares and 12 for hexes

2) Current players turn/ lock player movement
A hot key to lock the non-GM assigned token movement and/or advance turns, perhaps hilight the token's turn in the left panel since they are already listed there :)

As suggested by RPTroll
3)associate values with tokens so I can have hp, ac, and initiative (and a host of others)
empty values that can be named and changed with a hotkey that brings the "panel" up when the token is selected.

These seem like they would provide the most added functionality...
Of course IMHO ;)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Ok, I've moved some of the trackers around to remove some of the less requested features to make room for your suggestions. Some of the suggestions are a multistep process, so I've put in the first step. If you don't see your suggestion, that's why.

chrobry
Cave Troll

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:Ok, I've moved some of the trackers around to remove some of the less requested features to make room for your suggestions. Some of the suggestions are a multistep process, so I've put in the first step. If you don't see your suggestion, that's why.
:: best Hommer Simpson impression :::

ooooooohhhh Tracker ::: droool ::

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Regarding showing facing of a token, perhaps a method similar to Screen Monkey...

"To set a Facing arrow:
Hi-light the token
Click on the map in the direction from the token that you wish the facing arrow to point while holding the Control key down.
To set a Looking arrow, do as above, only hold down both the Control and Alt keys.
To remove the facing or looking arrow, hi-light the token, and select Clear Facing Arrow or Clear Looking Arrow from the menu."
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmmm, that's nice and simple.

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

my list:

1: observers
2: irregular tokens
3: integrate dicetool (plz plz plz plz plz plz)
4: animated gif tokens
4B: set a lifespan for tokens (right-click on creation, delete in X milliseconds)
5: password entry text thingy ( idid a new tool suggestion)
here
6: more macros
7: Inline dice rolling
8: F* keys to do macros and such
9: player name click to whisper
10: could this maybe open it's own hole in the firewall rather than having to do all that stuff manually?
11: use your own images for state overlays
12: pointer trail for pointer tool, "string" gesturing

sorry to post a tome.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Observers, as in letting people watch but not interract with your game ?

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

yep. They could have gm or player view, and have no powers other than (maybe) chat for player view.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

Return to “Developer Notes”