Developer progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

look on the bright side, we giants eat kobolds :):):)
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

chrobry wrote:Wait I "graduated" to a troll? Ahm never thought of being a troll on a forum as being a GOOD thing ;)
Hey!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

brisingre wrote:look on the bright side, we giants eat kobolds :):):)
Yes, we need fresh meat since we can't eat chrobry anymore ;)

Stinkin' Trolls... :P
Game On!

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

You guys can much on me for a little while longer.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Emryys wrote:Stinkin' Trolls... :P
Hey!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

chrobry
Cave Troll

Post by chrobry »

RPTroll wrote:
Emryys wrote:Stinkin' Trolls... :P
Hey!
Me Troll, me no stinky! Me eat stupid Kobolds...we go eats humanses!

Kuprin
Kobold

Post by Kuprin »

*wields a cockatrice corpse using +5 fixed gauntlets of power*

*starts smacking down*

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Thar iz lots 'o bolds around (members w/ low/no posts), they just scared little 'bolds they iz! :twisted:

I canz smell dem!
Game On!

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Emryys wrote:Regarding showing facing of a token, perhaps a method similar to Screen Monkey...

"To set a Facing arrow:
Hi-light the token
Click on the map in the direction from the token that you wish the facing arrow to point while holding the Control key down.
To set a Looking arrow, do as above, only hold down both the Control and Alt keys.
To remove the facing or looking arrow, hi-light the token, and select Clear Facing Arrow or Clear Looking Arrow from the menu."
How about without the keyboard use for this.

right-click unit chose>set facing
this puts you in facing mode until you set it.
The facing arrow on unit highlights and as you swing the mouse around the arrow moves with, either totally unconstrained or at the cardnals or hex sides. When the arrow faces where you want it, left-click to set.

Same method as above to clear, but you you ever really want to clear it? A unit always has to face in some direction.

The Close Combat series of games use this idea for setting a defensive facing. Very easy to do. For the key boarders you would need a series of keys to just quickset the four cardnals or the 6 hex faces.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I'll probably do the menu driven method first, and add keyboard keys later.

This would actually be pretty easy to implement. Perhaps I'll crank that out before getting into the (somewhat) messy visibility fow.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Some new features I'd like to see.

Map layers. With this in mind, the draw objects (AoE) either need to be individualy selectable or on seperate layers. Seperate objects might be a cpu hit, but then they could follow along with a unit (Bless radius). With the map layers then a system of building blocks to map freehand maps or overlays of hidden information. Gametable does the building block thing, but has too many pieces because they don't have piece rotation yet. Having all the draw objects as one layer as it is now is not convienient. Erase one, erase all! A GM overlay layer at the very least.

OT: The zoom/scroll code is very good in MapTool, but I'm not sure I like the way the text labels maintain a readable size as you zoom out. It gets very cluttered with lots of close units if you have the names on. Perhaps an option to switch that on/off.

Send Images to client screen. I really like the document sending to clients from Battlegrounds. Images and maybe .pdfs. Might not be a good thing for remote clients but on a LAN it would be very useable.

Dynamic FOW as an option if it is not a total CPU hog.

I have more but I add them to my list and post in the future.

Great work!
-David

trevor

Post by trevor »

drswoboda wrote: Map layers. With this in mind, the draw objects (AoE) either need to be individualy selectable or on seperate layers.
You're in luck, layers are billed for short term implementation. And template will be retooled to be selectable and bindable/moveable.
drswoboda wrote:Seperate objects might be a cpu hit, but then they could follow along with a unit (Bless radius).
Actually, the CPU hit will be nearly negligible :)
drswoboda wrote:Having all the draw objects as one layer as it is now is not convienient. Erase one, erase all! A GM overlay layer at the very least.
Totally agree. For the first pass implementation I'm planning on the following layers: Map, GM, Player. You can put drawables and tokens on any layer, move items between layers, or selectively hide layers or elements of layers
drswoboda wrote:OT: The zoom/scroll code is very good in MapTool, but I'm not sure I like the way the text labels maintain a readable size as you zoom out. It gets very cluttered with lots of close units if you have the names on. Perhaps an option to switch that on/off.
Tracker added to provide a preference for this.
drswoboda wrote:Send Images to client screen. I really like the document sending to clients from Battlegrounds. Images and maybe .pdfs. Might not be a good thing for remote clients but on a LAN it would be very useable.
We've talked about this recently, although I can't find the tracker. So I've added a new one.
drswoboda wrote:Dynamic FOW as an option if it is not a total CPU hog.
By dynamic do you mean auto-exposing based on visibility ? There are a couple tricky parts to that, mostly on the figuring out what NOT to auto-expose :)
drswoboda wrote:I have more but I add them to my list and post in the future.
Cool, we love to hear them !

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

one vote for erasing by color. Just so you know.

trevor

Post by trevor »

brisingre wrote:one vote for erasing by color. Just so you know.
This will only work if you limit yourself to a very, very small number of colors. Why limit yourself ?

-Trev

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

try this- let the gm set which colors are in the 12 colors in the little drawing dialog box, and only give layers for these and "everything else" as one layer. THen you could have all the variety you really need without killing everything. I would also like a way to lock which colors players can use, like token movement, so you can see who drew what.

Return to “Developer Notes”