Suggested Hero Dice Update

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Suggested Hero Dice Update

Post by Jagged »

Hi,

The syntax would be [1d6hk-1] you can test it by doing [1d6hk-1] [1hm] for a fixed multiplier.
That will result in a possible value of 0 but I am reliably informed thats the correct calculation ;)
See this thread in the Hero Forums

Syntax for a typical killing attack would be something like [1d6hk] [1d6hm-1]
A multiplier of [1d6hm-1] will never result in a value less than 1, as per the rules.

I've attached my latest version. Its pretty much the same except that the regular expressions for the parsing is a bit neater. As above you need to unzip the file then rename the "dicelib-1.0.b20.jar" file to match the DiceLib.jar in your distribution, probably "dicelib-1.0.b18.jar"
Attachments
dicelib-1.0.b20.zip
(26.33 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

Velocinox
Kobold

Post by Velocinox »

Jagged wrote:Hi,

The syntax would be [1d6hk-1] you can test it by doing [1d6hk-1] [1hm] for a fixed multiplier.
That will result in a possible value of 0 but I am reliably informed thats the correct calculation ;)
See this thread in the Hero Forums
Actually, the official word from Steve Long is 1d6-1 damage rolls have a minimum value of 1. In fact, 3d6-1 bottoms out at 3, not 2. Nor, is there any official restriction on using x+1d6-1 instead of x1/2d6. He states it is simply the prevading GM choice. Officially the option should remain.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Okay. On the one hand its cool you got an official answer. On the other hand, I have to modify my code! Bummer ;)

Velocinox
Kobold

Post by Velocinox »

Jagged wrote:Okay. On the one hand its cool you got an official answer. On the other hand, I have to modify my code! Bummer ;)
Hehe, I apologize, I play mostly hero level and so need the changes made. To that end if I don't convince you to do it, I will have to... You can certainly see my dilemma. :)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Not a problem. I wanted a definitive answer to make sure the work I've done is useful to all Hero System players.

The d6-1 minimum value ruling is straight forward, but I am still considering the best approach for the 1/2 die to d6-1 option. I suspect what I will do is add a new flag to the function but expose that to "Chat" via a second notation.

I should get time to look at it this weekend.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Velocinox wrote: Hehe, I apologize, I play mostly hero level and so need the changes made. To that end if I don't convince you to do it, I will have to... You can certainly see my dilemma. :)
Hi. I'm closing this thread off and have posted My latest update in the User Creations Section. You will see I've added a d6-1 option so hopefully that will work for you. :)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Can I ask the Powers-That-Be what are the chances of getting this incorporated into 1.3?

Previously I assumed 1.3 was closed but that was back in Build 70. Since we have a release 88 thats broken I assume we are going to have at least one more 1.3 build?

There were objections at the start of this thread about including this functionality but I think that was because of the mistaken belief that this changed global behaviour. This only changes the specific "Hero System" dice functions and even there existing macros will work exactly as they do today. I would also add that this update has the support of the one forum poster making Hero System Frameworks.

Return to “Developer Notes”