1.2 Status Update

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

ego093
Giant

Post by ego093 »

We had a great thread going about how to implement FoW with LoS and I added a little diagram that fits with what a couple of you are suggesting. Here are the diagrams:

And here's a link to the topic:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=1234

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

@Full Bleed: interesting idea, might be able to offer a couple different methods, such as a single bar for doors, and a "+" shape for things like columns or large monsters

@ego093: The tricky part is automating that shape. I'll have to do some investigations
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

VBL is very difficult because every scene needs to be treated differently.

Depending how the map is made; things like secret doors and where doors are placed on a prebuilt map can quickly change what method we want to use. I find that I use a different VBL for every situation. For most situations I use the line tool and click, right click, right click away to where we can still see en edge of the wall. Then I draw a line from that VBL to the corners -corners need to block LOS so I found just drwaing a line to the corner is fine. Other times I will just hold down Control and ddraw lines -they snap to grid in this manner so it is REALLY quick. The problem with this method however is that it will show the whole wall so hiding secret doors and such will be obvious. I think that is why I like manually drawing - it looks sloppier and it is harder for the players to see the hidden stuff.

It would be nice having several tool options for each method but keeping the freehand, line and square sub-tools is a must.

Pfhreak
Cave Troll

Post by Pfhreak »

Honestly, I'm still a big proponent of seperate masks for stamps. Let the player define once how the image blocks LoS, and then then make sure that when they duplicate the stamp, the vbl is duplicated.

Or, create a Tex+vbl tool. Sorta like two pencil tools simultaneously, give the texture pencil one width, and the vbl pencil a smaller width. Then draw one line and get a wall that is both textured and blocks LoS.

Pfhreak
Cave Troll

Post by Pfhreak »

ego093 wrote:We had a great thread going about how to implement FoW with LoS and I added a little diagram that fits with what a couple of you are suggesting. Here are the diagrams:

And here's a link to the topic:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=1234
The math for doing this isn't too stressful, however there are a couple of problems with error checking that could cause trouble. If someone draws a section of the wall narrower than the bleed distance, it would cause trouble. If someone didn't create a 'hollow' shape, and instead crossed their lines (making an hourglass shaped poly) it could cause problems.

Other than that it is basic trig, you know the coordinates of the points, and the angles of the lines. Simply bisect the angles to get a new angle, trace down that line bleed pixels, store the coordinate of that new bleed point, repeat all the way around the poly, then connect the new coordinates.

trevor

Post by trevor »

It's the parts that you mention are tricky that I'm referring to :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

I'm currently trying to figure out a workaround to make Java 6 webstart correctly inform me of the location of the default images. I'm also seeing if I can fix the verifiability of the rolls. Those two things are holding up the 1.2 release.

I'll keep you all up to date on the progress as it happens.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

So close....
Game On!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

| |

Pfhreak
Cave Troll

Post by Pfhreak »

Hawke wrote:| |
Hey, you leave logical or out of this!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Okay...

::sniffle::

&&

trevor

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:So close....
I _know_ ! Dang I'm ready to move on, get some momentum going again :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Update:

I took a look at the java 6 webstart issue. They changed the way the downloaded files are cached, and made it tricky to get access to them. But I've come up with a workaround that may actually turn out to be a more flexible system anyway. Basically I have to tweak a couple lines of code, and then prezip the resources before the jar is done. Giliath is going to update the build process to do that, so I think we've got that issue licked.

Now on to the rolling issue ...

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I don't see how you can fix the rolling issue as long as the chat is purely HTML rendering.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dLANbandit wrote:I don't see how you can fix the rolling issue as long as the chat is purely HTML rendering.
I'm gonna take a look, if it's not simple I'm going to punt to 1.3 for a "real" fix.

Return to “Developer Notes”