MT 1.3

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Sweeet... :D
Game On!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Curious about this token popup stuff; I hope it doesn't show information about the monsters. A player shouldn't know the stats of a monster so keep that in the back of your mind when implementing.

Otherland
Kobold

Post by Otherland »

trevor wrote:Update:
Finally got to patch Overland's contributed patch, it has the following...

The oval tool didn't work quite right because of the way shapes are handled, so I did a quick wikipedia search on the ellipse calculations and built a line segment based oval, currently using 32 steps.
..Heheh

Hi Trevor
you beat me to it, I had a new path ready (just need some more testing before sending it to you), but it sounds like my 'new' patch does what your modification does. So I'll just archive my patch and stick with yours :-)

I'll hopefully have time this week to look into the 1.3 branch and start helping with some more with the coding.

Cheers
Otherland

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:Curious about this token popup stuff; I hope it doesn't show information about the monsters. A player shouldn't know the stats of a monster so keep that in the back of your mind when implementing.
Hmmm, good point. Although I imagine some properties would be good to have. For example "Name", "Description", "Elevation". Perhaps I could add a property "Hide from Player" which only shows up if the player owns the token.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Pretty.

Hmm... This should probably only show up if you select the token. Mouse over would be fairly distracting, especially when you zoom out with lots of tokens.

I am not sure I like the larger icon showing up with so much space taken. Is the idea to allow different images for in here?

I would put the Name into the top (with the image) in a larger font.

I like the border. Is the bottom window with the stats setup so that it can expand vertically and horizontally with greater or fewer numbers of attributes?

You know, for this to be truly useful we will need to be able to copy and paste from this window and more importantly click/double click on an attribute and edit it inline. HP and elevation in particular.
~Giliath

trevor

Post by trevor »

giliath wrote: Hmm... This should probably only show up if you select the token. Mouse over would be fairly distracting, especially when you zoom out with lots of tokens.
Easy enough. Other opinions ?
giliath wrote:I am not sure I like the larger icon showing up with so much space taken. Is the idea to allow different images for in here?
The idea is that the top area would have a full portrait of the token. Since we don't have that right now I improvised by just putting in the token. I figured if you were zoomed way out it would give you a good idea of what was under your pointer
giliath wrote:I would put the Name into the top (with the image) in a larger font.
Oh yeah, good call. I had actually meant to do that but forgot about it.
giliath wrote:Is the bottom window with the stats setup so that it can expand vertically and horizontally with greater or fewer numbers of attributes?
No, I don't want this to be a catch-all property sheet, only the top couple. I want the size to be predictable, and containable
giliath wrote:You know, for this to be truly useful we will need to be able to copy and paste from this window and more importantly click/double click on an attribute and edit it inline. HP and elevation in particular.
Give someone an inch ... ;)

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

trevor wrote: No, I don't want this to be a catch-all property sheet, only the top couple. I want the size to be predictable, and containable
Hmm... This would be a pretty useful feature in the future. Different game systems (or even different characters) have different attributes of different types of attributes that are relevant. It probably is not necessary now, but will probably come up again in the future as people start to use the card-view more.
trevor wrote: Give someone an inch ... ;)
LOL. I would just like to point out that the 6 things you choose to display on the screen, 3 of them change neary every combat in a D&D game and 2 of them change every round. :wink:
~Giliath

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Another approach (soon to be poo pooed) is placing the properties screen in the side bar under the token tree. You could the expand it, move it, resize it, scroll it, etc. as needed.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

And I want to make the card smaller, probably by 50 pixels in each direction

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I REALLY like it. The CCG card background (sinkle.points++) makes it so much better. The key will be customizing what sort of information comes up.

What about a possible option or way to display card text? Like, let's say we're using MapTool to play a CCG. The "Tokens" are little image versions of the cards and clicking on them would reveal the bigger image and the card text instead of simply stats. Thinking ahead and trying to set it up such that something like that may be possible would be neat. Even in RPGs, it might be cool to have some magical weapon or something that had text in the card view rather than stats.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote:I REALLY like it. The CCG card background (sinkle.points++) makes it so much better. The key will be customizing what sort of information comes up.
As a first pass, it's just the property:value table. But I could just as easily make it an HTML panel that you can type anything in that you want.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote:
Hawke wrote:I REALLY like it. The CCG card background (sinkle.points++) makes it so much better. The key will be customizing what sort of information comes up.
As a first pass, it's just the property:value table. But I could just as easily make it an HTML panel that you can type anything in that you want.
The option would be key. I really love the idea of property:value more than I like an HTML panel if I had to choose. Just thinking ahead to my plans on pushing the system's usage. Maybe a temporary fix would allow to show the Info textbox as a checkbox? Then just truncate it with a ... if it's beyond the size of the card.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote: The option would be key.
Give is a good play through when I do a build tonight and let me know what you think.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Will do. Am looking forward to it!

I sent the screenshot to my players and they all seemed jazzed about how it looks and the ability to quickly see some stats. They hoped that they could see the monster's AC and total HP and thus have an advantage over their cruel DM. Silly players!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote:They hoped that they could see the monster's AC and total HP and thus have an advantage over their cruel DM. Silly players!
I'm thinking about adding another directive, if you put a "-" at the beginning of the line then only the GM or owning player will see the stat

Return to “Developer Notes”