MT 1.3

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:I want Control Z to undo Topology. So many times I will Opps it and I can't undo it so I have to make it messy by erasing it..
True, tracker added
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Re: re

Post by trevor »

Dracorat wrote: We should have a token "drawer" where we can drag a token in to it, have ALL the same options as if it were on the board and then we could drag from the drawer to the board to lay it out with exactly how its configured.
This is actually planned :) Originally I was calling it limbo (I think ?), but I'm changing it to think of it as a player's "Hand", like a hand of cards (probably because I was most recently talking with snikle about using it to hold cards).

The idea would be that you can pull tokens off of the map into your own hand, where they live outside of any map but are fully configured.

trevor

Post by trevor »

As I think about the implementation, and how to keep it sufficiently generic and useful, what I'll probably do is have the GM be able to create as many "Hands" as they want, and be able to drop things into them. Then they can assign ownership of them to the players (with perhaps the players having one by default).

My thinking is this, you start with 3 players, they put token inventory into their hand. The hand should really be associated with the campaign so that when you start up the session again everybody has the same hand as when you left (also good for crash recovery). But what happens when player A decides to take a break for a week. You don't really want to merge his hand with another player, but you may still want them to have access to it.

Hence, arbitrary "hand" bags that can hold arbitrary tokens (and some day perhaps media files) that can be assigned to players just like tokens can.

Just brainstorming.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Oh yeah, another internal update, while working with the paint stuff I made an adjustment that will make it easy to change the scale of textured paint, just have to put something in the UI to let you change it.

That is, you won't have to keep your textures at the same scale anymore, you can specify the scale when you create the shape. So if your fire is at 10ft per cell but your grass is 5ft per cell, they won't look weird when dropped down.

(oh yeah, it'll also make it possible to make the paint scale correctly when you are in the process of drawing it, so it'll look correct from the get-go)

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Very cool.

Special or Fantastic Artifacts / Weapons could potentially be used this way. They would have macros associated with their abilities and could be passed around players and held in the hand and used as needed. Could be a cool special effect on some maps.

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

trevor wrote:The idea would be that you can pull tokens off of the map into your own hand, where they live outside of any map but are fully configured.
Cool! Would you be able to take that fully configured token from Map 1 into the hand, switch to Map 2, and drag the token out into Map 2?

Or is there some other way to move tokens between maps?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lindharin wrote:
trevor wrote:The idea would be that you can pull tokens off of the map into your own hand, where they live outside of any map but are fully configured.
Cool! Would you be able to take that fully configured token from Map 1 into the hand, switch to Map 2, and drag the token out into Map 2?

Or is there some other way to move tokens between maps?
You could definitely use it for that.

For now you copy the token(s) (using CTRL-C or the right click menu), move to a new location, and CTRL-P to paste them down. You can also cut-paste if you want.

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

trevor wrote:For now you copy the token(s) (using CTRL-C or the right click menu), move to a new location, and CTRL-P to paste them down. You can also cut-paste if you want.
D'oh! :oops:

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lindharin wrote:
trevor wrote:For now you copy the token(s) (using CTRL-C or the right click menu), move to a new location, and CTRL-P to paste them down. You can also cut-paste if you want.
D'oh! :oops:
Trust me, this question comes up a lot, which means it's not intuitive, so it's really our own fault. We need a better system.

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

trevor wrote:As I think about the implementation, and how to keep it sufficiently generic and useful, what I'll probably do is have the GM be able to create as many "Hands" as they want, and be able to drop things into them. Then they can assign ownership of them to the players (with perhaps the players having one by default).

My thinking is this, you start with 3 players, they put token inventory into their hand. The hand should really be associated with the campaign so that when you start up the session again everybody has the same hand as when you left (also good for crash recovery). But what happens when player A decides to take a break for a week. You don't really want to merge his hand with another player, but you may still want them to have access to it.

Hence, arbitrary "hand" bags that can hold arbitrary tokens (and some day perhaps media files) that can be assigned to players just like tokens can.

Just brainstorming.
As long as players can partake in the sharing too. (Even if the GM sees all)

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

What would be lovely is a way to 'paste' these copied tokens into a disk file - effectively saving them to a file for use at later times.

I guess all this will be covered when you create your token object though...
The guy in the green hat.

fdwojo
Cave Troll

Post by fdwojo »

CTRL-P ??? Don't you mean CTRL-V to paste? If for no other reason than consistency and standardization CTRL-V would be better

('course, if you end up with an option to remap all the keys in the program, I'll be able to make it that way myself... :wink: )

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Its CTRL V - CTRL P does an expose path.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Dracorat wrote:Its CTRL V - CTRL P does an expose path.
oops, yeah, I'm just feature dyslexic

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

Ok, good stuff coming up, I put in very basic token property list editing.

Basically created a File->Campaign Properties ... dialog that has a textarea where you put in the properties you want, one per line.

So, there you go. Now you can customize your campaigns with the properties you need.

As a bonus, I decided to throw something in as a test that I've been wanting to do for a while. Take a peek and see what you think. I plan to do a build with this stuff on Monday night.

This shows up when you mouse over a token. The properties that show up are specified in the token properties list editor.

I'm thinking about making it so you can just write HTML and put in substitution parameters (e.g. {strength}) and it'll insert it for you.

Anyway, just experimenting.

Oh yeah, and props to snikle who made the ccg graphic

Return to “Developer Notes”