MapTool development

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

tiorthan
Cave Troll

MapTool development

Post by tiorthan »

I'd like to contribute some work to MapTool. I've got the repository checked out and got MapTool to run from Eclipse. Now, I'm a little bit at a loss where to start. I would prefer seeing 1.4 underway but until that commences I could just tackle some of the issues at hand. However, since you don't seem to have a bug tracker what is there to be done? Having said that, I have seen the bug reports forum but I can't really figure out which of the issues posted there are still open and which are not.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool development

Post by jfrazierjr »

tiorthan wrote:I'd like to contribute some work to MapTool. I've got the repository checked out and got MapTool to run from Eclipse. Now, I'm a little bit at a loss where to start. I would prefer seeing 1.4 underway but until that commences I could just tackle some of the issues at hand. However, since you don't seem to have a bug tracker what is there to be done? Having said that, I have seen the bug reports forum but I can't really figure out which of the issues posted there are still open and which are not.

We appreciate your enthusiasm. PM Azhrei and Craig who can help give direction. Hopefully, we only have a few more bugs to fix and we will call 1.3 done and move on. When we move on though, it will be a few months architecting before any real code is worked on though(at least that would be my guess) What will probably happen is we will be doing a few core "modules" here and there, likely beginning with the parser and dice roller libraries as foundational units and then moving on to adding MapTool specific functionality in over time.... so things that work in today's MapTool 1.3 will likely be missing or broken badly in the first 10-20 builds of 1.4 since we will be starting a decent part of he code from scratch.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Developer Notes”