MT 1.3b3 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

mikey
Giant

RE

Post by mikey »

Beggers can't be choosers, so I say I like em all! Dog tag, cat tag, hand bag, sand bar, jelly jar, old car, pirate scar, twinkle star, not too far, alligator gar, roof tar, or Rusian Czar.

Thank you for your hard work and I will be more then happy with anything you come up with! :wink:

Mikey

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

IMO the pointy one looks a little too busy. Maybe if the outside points were a bit smoother ?

Fortunately it's built to make that kind of change insanely trivial to set up as a "skin" at some future point.

I'll put in the pointy one and do a build tonight so you all can start to play with it.

Snikle, the statsheet really, really shows just how horrible the name label under the token looks :P Perhaps if you get a chance, would you want to design a better label, perhaps one in the same style as the statsheet ?

I had actually thought that it might work well to put the name on the statsheet and not show the one under the token, but there's lots of cases where the name should show up without the statsheet, so that won't work. But if we could get it to have that glass bubble style, it would rock.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

snikle wrote: Maybe have the point of the statsheet point to the center of the token but be off to the left of the entire thing, regardless of the size? trevor?
During my testing, that is currently how it works. When I make a Colossal creature, the tag is off to the left and in the center (unless there isn't room for it on the left then the tag moves to where it is able to be seen).

So far though I think it has a real good feeling.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:
snikle wrote: Maybe have the point of the statsheet point to the center of the token but be off to the left of the entire thing, regardless of the size? trevor?
During my testing, that is currently how it works. When I make a Colossal creature, the tag is off to the left and in the center (unless there isn't room for it on the left then the tag moves to where it is able to be seen).

So far though I think it has a real good feeling.
Yup, it stays centered on the token, and if you run out of room on a side it'll switch to the right, top, or bottom, wherever it can fit it. Personally I thought it looked fantastic when zooming in and out. Was still obvious which one it was talking about

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Amaril wrote:Does this appear when a player mouses over a token?
*bump*

trevor

Post by trevor »

Amaril wrote:
Amaril wrote:Does this appear when a player mouses over a token?
*bump*
(thanks for the bump, missed it)

Yes, when your mouse moves over a token that has properties to show, it will pop up. It would be pretty easy to make it wait for a couple moments in between mouse over and pop up, perhaps we can make it a preference.

I'll do a build tonight so you guys can play with it, see how best to tweak it.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

trevor wrote:(thanks for the bump, missed it)

Yes, when your mouse moves over a token that has properties to show, it will pop up. It would be pretty easy to make it wait for a couple moments in between mouse over and pop up, perhaps we can make it a preference.

What if I don't want players to see that information, specifically AC and HP?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Amaril wrote:
trevor wrote:(thanks for the bump, missed it)

What if I don't want players to see that information, specifically AC and HP?
In the definition of the token properties in the Campaign Properties you designate which properties to show on the statsheet. You can designate the up to 4 properties you want to show up, and also indicate whether they should be visible to players or not. So in your GM view you'll see the GM properties, and a player will only see player properties.

Perhaps instead of GM property, it should be called Owned property, so you can see it if you own the token.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I will play with the shape a little over lunch today and send to you trevor. I will also make a bit for the name of tokens as well.

What about on the properties instead of having the * indicate if the property show or not, having selection boxes for "StatSheet", "MiniSheet" , "none" and "both"? Then you could show different ones on the stat than on the mini. Could also have a selection box for viewable state with "GM Only" and "all".
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

mikey
Giant

re

Post by mikey »

Right in the gutter my mind goes!

I will play with the shape a little over lunch today
:shock:

Mikey

trevor

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote: What about on the properties instead of having the * indicate if the property show or not, having selection boxes for "StatSheet", "MiniSheet" , "none" and "both"?
I was thinking the same thing, although keeping the indicators instead of a selection box. Until I get an Export option for the properties, I want to keep it really easy to copy/paste the properties to new campaigns.

But I was thinking something like (and this is all very much in flux):

prop1
+M prop2
+MS prop3
+SO prop4
prop5
+CMS prop6
prop7

where:
the + means additional attributes for the property
M - Minisheet
S - Statsheet
C - Charsheet
O - Owner only

Opinions welcome. Keep in mind, eventually it'll have a nice pretty UI and product a "statblock" like text that you can copy into a new campaign. This is just to bootstrap the system.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

snikle wrote: What about on the properties instead of having the * indicate if the property show or not, having selection boxes for "StatSheet", "MiniSheet" , "none" and "both"? Then you could show different ones on the stat than on the mini. Could also have a selection box for viewable state with "GM Only" and "all".
I think Trevors idea with this is so that you can easily select it all, copy it, and paste it into another campaign. This way you can easily have preferences that you use often - one for your war games, one for your D&D games, one for your strategy games, etc.

Once you add columns and check boxes, now you cannot easily copy that information. I guess having an export and import function could get around that though.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Good point, and I like your idea there Trevor, I think that will work.

You know, once you get the character sheet set up, we could add an area to put a token, (bennies), portrait, stats, some macros, etc and have that exportable as a single entity (sort of a small campaign file I guess)....no need for a CharacterTool!
Know what would really be cool, if you dragged the token from the character sheet onto the map, it would auto-fill all the properties from the sheet onto the token(and what showed up on the statsheet, etc)....rock and roll baby!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Dracorat
Dragon

Re: re

Post by Dracorat »

mikey wrote:Right in the gutter my mind goes!

Mikey
Ooooh -- hourglass shapes??

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote:Fortunately it's built to make that kind of change insanely trivial to set up as a "skin" at some future point.
I think this sounds like a great idea, especially if we can make it token specific. This way we could skin the pop-up for the type of token being used and it could be another way to provide identification information. For example, friendly pop-ups could be made "light blue", enemies "red", neutral targets "gray." And we could use different shapes and textures to show classes, or the type of unit (armor, infantry, summoned, etc.)

I would also like to encourage a couple other things:

1) Allow us to set the amount of transparency ourselves. Not only is this good for personal preference, it would make doing skins easier.

2) As mentioned elsewhere, please allow us to preference the pop-up delay.

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop!

Return to “Developer Notes”