MT 1.3b3 progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MT 1.3b3 progress

Post by trevor »

Making good progress on the statsheet. Currently it replaces the b2 minisheet feature.

So, basically when you mouse over a token that has properties designated as viewable, you get this:

Thanks to snikle who created the artwork and layout. I think the top gray area needs to be a bit more subtle, but overall I really like it.

The next step is to make the minisheet more formal (so you can move it around and make it stick open)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

btw, it uses the same mechanism to determine which properties to show, so it's totally configurable
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Re: MT 1.3b3 progress

Post by Hawke »

First, that looks totally beautiful. I'm definitely excited to see the whole thing at work.
trevor wrote:So, basically when you mouse over a token that has properties designated as viewable, you get this:
Will there be a delay between the mouse-over and the statsheet? Like, say you have to have your mouse over the token for a full second or two before it pops up rather than slide your mouse across 10 tokens and have them all pop up and then disappear quickly?

Also, how's it look on a square token?

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Very Nice.... **Emryys gets all excited...** :D
Game On!

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

It looks great. Can we have it disappear when we click the token? That means it won't get in the way when we want to move.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Wow! Looks fantastic! Great job Snikle! :)

One question comes to mind though. I looks like Snikle worked very hard at making it contour to the token but what happens when I make the token Colossal or square? Does it look OK?

Sorry - the wheels are always turning over hear ;)

Fantastic though! Can't wait to test it!

You know, I was thinking of something also and that is more for the Projector/TV people. This really has nothing to do with the tag image but more with using text in general. Can we have some way to increase font sizes overall so that people like me who use S-Video can read the text on screen? It is a bit off topic but I thought I would mention it while in my mind.

Currently my players cannot read anything in Maptool when stretched on a 55 inch TV using S-Video. To be able to increase the font sizes overall would be fantastic. PC to Console game conversions suffer the same fate -notice how they have to totally rework the interface on the console game when comparing it to a PC's version. (mainly because it is going from 800X600 (or higher) to a TV resolution which sucks - well at least used to anyway).

Thoughts?

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Does this appear when a player mouses over a token?

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

trevor wrote:I think the top gray area needs to be a bit more subtle
Thanks everyone! Wait till to you see the new mini sheet! :wink:
dorpond wrote:One question comes to mind though. I looks like Snikle worked very hard at making it contour to the token but what happens when I make the token Colossal or square? Does it look OK?
We talked about that too and decided at this point we wanted something that looked better than before and worked in most cases. I messed around a little with larger tokens and it looks so-so to me, with the 'contour' indicating which token was 'selected'. I suggested to trevor that he place the contoured area based on the token center, regardless of size and zoom. While this might overlap the token at higher zooms and with larger tokens, it would indicate clearly which token was being 'selected'. But once trevor releases it, we will see how it functions in practice and perhaps make revisions to it then.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

snikle wrote: I suggested to trevor that he place the contoured area based on the token center, regardless of size and zoom. While this might overlap the token at higher zooms and with larger tokens, it would indicate clearly which token was being 'selected'.
That is one thing that worries me about using a fixed graphic (fixed size) to display this information; I have one player (monk with a double move of 160') who zooms out super far when he plays and prefers it that way. Sometimes he misses a detail on the map and I have to say "zoom in dummy!" and we all get a chuckle. But nonetheless, I hope whatever system we have is playable if:

1. We have large/small tokens.
2. We zoom in close and zoom out far.
3. Works well at different zoom settings. We need to make sure we test it with a grid20 (for those who scan in paper maps) and Grid200 for Dundjinni-type users.

Believe it or not, #3 can often times be overlooked since it dramatically changes our zoom level. Even topology doesn't size small enough to fit in a wall at grid20. Just something to keep in the back of our minds. I guess that is what I am here for - to test this thing to death. ;)

I have to comment though Snikle, you really do have an eye for creating nice looking art for gaming though. I love the overall feel of both the micro and the mini sheets.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

To be honest, I don't care for the concave effect. It looks slick out of context, but it doesn't necessarily fit the use, and it doesn't provide any additional functionality at all.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Actually, disregard my concerns on my previous posts; I just tested it out and it works very well. This is very cool! I like the overall feeling of the graphic Snikle - great job!

Thanks Snikle and Trevor! WOot!

Het Trevor, do you have the other mini sheet disabled for now? I couldn't get it to work. Yeah, I know, you haven't released it yet and you are still working on it.. ;)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

dorpond wrote:Hey Trevor, do you have the other mini sheet disabled for now?
Oops, I just re-read the original post. This is to 'replace' the other sheet for now. Gotcha! ;)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Let me guess - you play a lot of military games snikle? I get an overall dog-tag feeling from the mini sheet ;)

I have to say, it is easy to determine who the tag belongs to due to that curved section of the tag. At first I was a bit worried but at multiple zoom levels it is still pretty obvious and we don't have to have it point at the token to pull it off!

*claps*

Exciting stuff!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Thanks dorpond, I just like that trevor allows me to have some input and contribute in some fashion to the greatest vtt ever!

I took trevor's image and messed around a little, added what the current statsheet 'should' look like beneath trevor's current one, seems to be having some issue with the transparency, we will get it there though.
Also added a variant on the shape as Amaril said he didn't care for the concave, more options are always better. :wink: Maybe have the point of the statsheet point to the center of the token but be off to the left of the entire thing, regardless of the size? trevor?

Actually no, I hardly play any games for that matter, BUT in a weird coincidence I AM IN the military! Weird how it does sort of look like a dogtag.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

I have to admit, I like the pointed edge. 8)

Return to “Developer Notes”