Layers

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote: Then just need a way to indicate it's open/closed state.
Which will be really easy with the simple stamp rotation system you are going to put in place :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:An option would be similar to your second example, where you just draw the wall as normal, but put a Secret Door stamp on top of it, hide it, and when the players find it, show it. That way the GM can always see it, and know it is there, but the players don't until they find it. Then just need a way to indicate it's open/closed state.
That seems to be an easy way to do it.

If the GM makes the handful of tokens that might be needed while creating the map it should be a minimal effort.

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

trevor wrote:Interesting. It would seem that a tricky part would be remembering where the secret doors are hidden ?

What if the secret doors were actually above the wall, but their visibility turned off.
Referencing my other post talking about layers, this is where the control panel idea comes in. You have a layer called secrets and in this layer (which is above main map) you have your secret door stamps/objects. They are named well so you know what they represent. Then you have that little check box dodad that allows you to selectively unhide as needed. Simple and easy with a little preplanning. You then also have the layer toggle that can turn them ALL on/off if needed while building map or later to expose the missed secrets to the players. . .

-David

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Needed layer came to mind on another thread. I will just copy it here:

Another thing I noticed and I am not sure how we can handle it without layers; when I put down the Dungeon Pieces, they lay on top of the grid. That won't help the party much :)

So that tells me that we need to have a way of specifying under or over the grid layer.

Now, almost every stampable object will be on top of the grid but in the case with these cool dungeon pieces, we would want them below.

This is probably more of a layer issue than a stamping issue but if we are to stamp the floor pieces, I guess they are one of the same.

Return to “Developer Notes”