Chat help needed

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

nirkedar
Cave Troll

Chat help needed

Post by nirkedar »

I would love to be able to save on the Chat window real-estate and not have the Token name appear for every action that is displayed in the Chat window.

Is there any way to hide the token name from the chat window?

PS: I know that by unchecking the "Show Avatar per line" box in Preferences we can eliminate the image from showing. Is there a way to do so for the name as well?

TIA.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Chat help needed

Post by Azhrei »

No. While it might make sense it can lead to issues where one player could impersonate another and it wouldn't be easy for the GM to detect.

Personally I'd like to see a much nicer chat window: timestamps, avatar, login name/char name, and more, all with the ability to turn them on/off at runtime (so turning on timestamps makes them suddenly appear, even for older messages). But this requires the code that handles the chat window to be modified in a somewhat significant way so it won't happen soon.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Well... The chat window is a HTML parser so if you would start a macro or message with eg <\table> or <\html> then there's a good chance it won't show up...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

This is true. You can "hack the chat window" pretty easily. Just save it as HTML, then go back and look at the format of the HTML. You'll be able to see where the avatar and player name appear in the text. That might give you some ideas for eliminating them.

The brute force method would be to use macros to generate the chat window text. When using a macro the only text that is displayed is the text that your macro explicitly generates. There are plenty of working macros here on the forum that involve a text box with a "Send to Chat" button.

nirkedar
Cave Troll

Post by nirkedar »

Awesome Possom!!!
Thanks for the reply guys. The /table advice did wonders for me.

You mentioned that the Chat window can be saved and the HTML can be viewed. Interesting indeed...please tell me how? Or can you send me the link for the Send to Chat macros.

Thanks a mil.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

The chat window is automatically saved periodically, but there's an option on the File menu as well, I think... :?

The 'send to chat' macros I referred to are part of a larger framework (the D&D 3.5/PathFinder Framework). Look for that in the top-level forum under General -> User Creations -> Frameworks (at least, I think that's where it is). I'm sure there are other implementations as well, but that's the one I know of.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Azhrei wrote:The chat window is automatically saved periodically, but there's an option on the File menu as well, I think... :?
If you turn it on, Its off by default. Again, I think ...:?

Return to “Developer Notes”