MapTool API

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

davout
Cave Troll

MapTool API

Post by davout »

Does MapTool have a Java or HTTP API that an external process could use to communicate?

Thanks.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapTool API

Post by Azhrei »

No. We were originally thinking of adding one back when we were talking about switching to the OSGI engine, then we killed the idea. Now it looks like JavaFX may make supporting this easier so it might be a possibility for the next series of code, but not 1.3.

There's no built-in, external (ie. public) Java API for accessing MapTool internals. The macro language is it.

We plan to design in support for plugins and extensions of some kind, but there are numerous issues in doing this the right way so we're not committing to creating either at this time.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Having some sort of plug-in, service exposure, or other connection point is high on my list of wants. It would make creating different skins a possibility which opens up the whole mobile/tablet area.

Still, bigger fish to fry at the moment.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:Having some sort of plug-in, service exposure, or other connection point is high on my list of wants. It would make creating different skins a possibility which opens up the whole mobile/tablet area.
Well... skins would be possible just by the switch to JavaFX AND building the UI properly. In essence, one would be able to modify a css stylesheet to change things such as background image(either entire screen, some parts, or specific control types) and such. I think this part is very doable as we work on MapTool 2.x.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Bad choice of words on my part. I was referring to creating cut down interfaces based on device.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “Developer Notes”