MT 1.3b7 Progress

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

RPTroll wrote:Was it me or did the last movie stink until the last 30 minutes?
Oh, wait... are you talking about the one that's in theaters now?

I haven't seen that one yet.

Guess I'll go back to lowing my expectations.

PS: MT 1.3b8 should be known as the "Post Potter" build. ;)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Next time Trevor doesn't get a MT build out for a while we can say we've been Pottered Again!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

This is what I got done tonight:

* Non snap to grid waypoints
* Fix bug: Error when impersonating a token on the command shell
* Reorganize the statsheet prop layout
* Add cancel button to the impersonate avatar panel
* Fix bug: property, speech, and macro tables not commit last entered value
* Don't show movement details for tokens that are not visible (e.g. outside visible area)

Anybody have any immediate needs (mostly bugs and small annoyances) that you'd like to see get fixed for the next release ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

GreenMan
Cave Troll

Post by GreenMan »

Yeah... I can't get the "Read my mind and automatically build a map for me" button to work. Will that be fixed for b7?

trevor

Post by trevor »

GreenMan wrote:Yeah... I can't get the "Read my mind and automatically build a map for me" button to work. Will that be fixed for b7?
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I knew you were going to say that and fixed that bug already, just forgot to add it to the list ;)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

GreenMan wrote:"Read my mind and automatically build a map for me"
When can we expect Psionic-Tool 1.01b1...? ;)
Game On!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

How's about WomanTool 1.09? Even though married, it would still prove very useful (and a money maker as well!).
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote: * Don't show movement details for tokens that are not visible (e.g. outside visible area)
Does this mean if I have a token outside the player's vision to the left... and I move it to the right of the player, he wont see the movement path? Or am I not understanding?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote:
trevor wrote: * Don't show movement details for tokens that are not visible (e.g. outside visible area)
Does this mean if I have a token outside the player's vision to the left... and I move it to the right of the player, he wont see the movement path? Or am I not understanding?
Specifically, if you have a token in the fog just above where the player is, previously when you move the token the movement distance and mover are written below the token, so even though the token is not within a visible area the player could see the token moving. This was particularly noticeable when the player zooms far out.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I just had a game tonight using 1.2b32 (latest release) and the biggest issue was the "vision comes from the upper-left corner" problem. It means corners are handled pretty wonky (that's a technical term, it means "quite strange" :)).

The same issue comes up when a player is allowed to drop their token in a square that causes the upper-left to be inside a shape on the LBL -- they suddenly can't see their token. And since the LBL drawing doesn't have a snap-to-grid option when creating the LBL shapes, it's pretty easy to overflow one square and have the problem. I know that now, so I'm going to try going back and cleaning up some of the LBL that I've already drawn.

If those are not already corrected in 1.3, I'd like to add them to the list (I haven't been keeping up here much lately; sorry!).

Otherwise, it worked quite well for our game! I had my older 512MB laptop acting as server and 5 players with laptops using wireless to get to the server. There were some small delays with loading the map, but I don't consider 5 seconds extreme at all!! :)

I did have one weirdness where the players connect and the campaign loads, but when they switch to another map there is about 80% of it exposed when only 10% should be (the fog-of-war exposes areas the party hasn't visited yet) and there's a weird hump at the bottom of the image (with jaggies the size of the grid squares) that is completely black!? :?

When they left-click on the mini map, the full map corrects itself and redisplays. (I will ask the players which version of Java they have and report back here, but if this is a known problem then I'll skip that part). (And I can provide a campaign file if it would help.)

On the wish list, I'd like to see a statusbar message when a Text drawable is selected that tells me what I can do with the drawable (it took me 10 minutes to figure out that I could hit DEL to delete the thing!). But I understand that Text becomes a full-fledged object in 1.3, so this may be moot.

Otherwise, MapTool kicks some seriously big butt!! I had two new players who know/use OpenRPG say that MapTool was a much nicer interface and they particularly liked the integration of chat/tokens/map and vision. Although those two just started using MapTool tonight, I'm thinking they'll enjoy using the macros, too, as they like to use the chat window to make their rolls.

Thanks Trevor, and thanks to the rest of The Gang! :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the post back azhrei. I take it you were using blocky vision. I'll put it in my queue to get that fleshed out

trevor

Post by trevor »

UPDATE:

dorpond found some bugs with the new features, I'll get them fixed and make a build

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:dorpond found some bugs with the new features, I'll get them fixed and make a build
Make him earn his keep! ;)
Game On!

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Hey everyone! Due to my recent laptop issues, I'm still campaigning with 1.2b32. I have been trying to kind of keep up with the progress of 1.3, and I'm curious how close 1.3 is to being a release candidate? Is it stable enough to switch over to it with a current campaign? I don't mind waiting at all, but I'd love to see the improvements over 1.2 so far.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

trevor

Post by trevor »

thelevitator wrote:Is it stable enough to switch over to it with a current campaign?
There hasn't been many significant changes (structurally speaking) since 1.2 release, so there hasn't been too many things that would change the stability. Some people are using it in their campaigns.

That being said, the next two or three builds are going to get hairy. I'm in the process of finally injecting a new networking layer, which will introduce an unknown into the stability equation. Which means that if you start using 1.3, you'll be "stuck" using that build of it until you are able to make a new campaign file. But, I suppose 1.2 is in the same state now, so I suppose you're in the same boat in both cases :)

Return to “Developer Notes”