MT 1.3b11 update

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MT 1.3b11 update

Post by trevor »

I have some updates that didn't make it past dorpond's testing, I've made some more updates and waiting for more testing. Here is the current change list:

Build 11
* Increase maximum pen width to 300
* Fix inexactness with drawing tools snap to grid
* Fix drawing tools' interaction with zooming during drawing
* Make stamp notes stay up until you click somewhere else or change tools
* Start to implement Matrissa's color panel improvements
* Change the look of the hover notes
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Looking good sir!

Any ETA on when you are going to work on Vision/LBL?

Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Interesting... curious about what features are in that limbo period. Always excited to see where we're headed! And here I wasn't expecting anything this week...

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I want to work where he does, releasing a new version of MT FROM work?!?!? Man sign me up to work there!

Good stuff, as always Trevor!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Blakey wrote:Looking good sir!

Any ETA on when you are going to work on Vision/LBL?

Blakey
Ditto. Personally, I'm not that interested in the drawing tools since it's my intention to use pre-created maps either downloaded, scanned, or created in another application. To me everything else is secondary compared to getting light and vision working well together.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

For me: Movement Plotting/Limiting, Individual Player Views, XML File format - in that order!

I wish I could play with MapTool at work... man I'd never get anything done.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Hawke wrote:For me: Movement Plotting/Limiting, Individual Player Views, XML File format - in that order!

I wish I could play with MapTool at work... man I'd never get anything done.
I lump individual player views with vision. :)

I really want to reflect accuracy of who can see what and where, at least along a two-dimensional plane. Line of sight, lighting, and vision type (darkvision, lowlight, etc.) all need to be managed seperately but calculated against one another.

1. Light handles the lighting vs shadowy illumination just fine but doesn't interact with the vision-blocking layer, and that's all that really needs to be fixed.

2. Vision is more of a factor of line of sight against the vision-blocking layer and should only be exposed wherever light is available. Also, darkvision can be handled as just another type of light.

3. The tricky part is setting up areas that are outdoors, especially with unbounded maps, that are in broad daylight or are in shadowy illumination such as moon light or a dark forest. This is even more difficult if you have a structure on the same map that is indoors with no illumination at all.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Hawke wrote:For me: Movement Plotting/Limiting, Individual Player Views,
Hands-down, those are my top 2. ;)

They will have the most significant, constant, and immediate impact on my games.

But it's good to see work continue to go into the drawing tools. There are a lot of reasons I don't plan on using MT's drawing tools for primary map development, but the better they get, the more likely I'll begin to integrate at least some usage.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

I guess I never really anticipated using MapTool for more than an electronically enhanced tabletop rather than a map creation tool. I'd rather see the tabletop aspects finalized before the map creation tools are further developed.

trevor

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote:I want to work where he does, releasing a new version of MT FROM work?!?!? Man sign me up to work there!
Actually, I'm on vacation this week, so I'm kicking it at home :) Thought I'd throw in some good MT TLC

trevor

Post by trevor »

Full Bleed wrote:
Hawke wrote:For me: Movement Plotting/Limiting, Individual Player Views,
Hands-down, those are my top 2. ;)
You're in luck, the only thing holding individual views back is figuring out how to represent it to the GM (who needs to be able to switch around and see what each person can see)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote:curious about what features are in that limbo period.
Heh, keeps things interesting :)

Actually, this is in direct response to the forum thread a while back where people indicated a preference for fixing existing features before moving on to other features. The drawing tool issue has been around (and complained about) for quite a long time now. The others are polish that people have mentioned on the last couple builds.

On a side note, the adjustments take the tools closer to being able to select and move existing drawn objects.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

trevor wrote:You're in luck, the only thing holding individual views back is figuring out how to represent it to the GM (who needs to be able to switch around and see what each person can see)
I thought that was handled by the mouse-over, or at least that's how I handle it now. The only ticky part is looking at the player view, but that could be switched depending on which player token is selected.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Amaril wrote:The only ticky part is looking at the player view, but that could be switched depending on which player token is selected.
Right, which may or may not give a correct "overview" view of the map that the GM needs. We might have to just write it this way, then tweak as we go. Perhaps I'll do that this week

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

What if the GM view had always-on outlines of the players' views? Really the only time I use player view is when I'm setting up the VBL and use a single test token to see how well it displays when revealing the FoW.

Return to “Developer Notes”