MT 1.3b11 update

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Amaril wrote:What if the GM view had always-on outlines of the players' views?
My concern with that is that it wouldn't be obvious which outline goes to which player. I had thought about making the different shapes be colored to represent who can see it, but that got ugly quick when multiple people could see the same thing.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote:
Full Bleed wrote:
Hawke wrote:For me: Movement Plotting/Limiting, Individual Player Views,
Hands-down, those are my top 2. ;)
You're in luck, the only thing holding individual views back is figuring out how to represent it to the GM (who needs to be able to switch around and see what each person can see)
Excellent.

While we're on the subject, my preference for very basic support:

1) When a Gm selects a token it automatically switches to that token's view.

2) Anything else shows the view as it shows now (that is, we see the collective view of all players.)

This is not to say that there shouldn't or couldn't be other modes, but this is all I really want.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Full Bleed wrote: This is not to say that there shouldn't or couldn't be other modes, but this is all I really want.
I think the consensus is that's the plan for the first pass.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote:
Amaril wrote:What if the GM view had always-on outlines of the players' views?
My concern with that is that it wouldn't be obvious which outline goes to which player. I had thought about making the different shapes be colored to represent who can see it, but that got ugly quick when multiple people could see the same thing.
This is sort of... I dunno. Just throwing it out there without thinking! What if players could select (or GMs could lock or select) a color for themselves. Then when you mouseover the visions would have colors on the edges to indicate to the GM which is which? This could also be tied into token halos, or token bases if implemented? Seems like an awful lot of work though.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Hawke wrote:This is sort of... I dunno. Just throwing it out there without thinking! What if players could select (or GMs could lock or select) a color for themselves. Then when you mouseover the visions would have colors on the edges to indicate to the GM which is which? This could also be tied into token halos, or token bases if implemented? Seems like an awful lot of work though.
I think this is over thinking it a bit. The current method works well enough. You mouseover a token and see an outline of what's in its field of vision. Other than that, the GM should be able to see what the entire party sees. There's no real reason why a GM needs a distinct player view of a single player during a session.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Amaril wrote: The current method works well enough. You mouseover a token and see an outline of what's in its field of vision. Other than that, the GM should be able to see what the entire party sees. There's no real reason why a GM needs a distinct player view of a single player during a session.
Yeah, I dunno what I was thinking...

Though I don't see why you couldn't just right click a player in the players list to select their view and it would show up all big in the main window "Hawke's View"

trevor

Post by trevor »

Amaril wrote:There's no real reason why a GM needs a distinct player view of a single player during a session.
Unless there's a dispute on what the player can see, or if the GM wants to be know exactly where to place that zombie coming up from behind

trevor

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote: Unless there's a dispute on what the player can see
Which would come up if there's a (heaven forbid) bug ;)

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

trevor wrote:
Amaril wrote:There's no real reason why a GM needs a distinct player view of a single player during a session.
Unless there's a dispute on what the player can see, or if the GM wants to be know exactly where to place that zombie coming up from behind
Then mouse over the token to see the outline, observe which square you want to move the zombie to, and move it.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Amaril wrote:
trevor wrote:
Then mouse over the token to see the outline, observe which square you want to move the zombie to, and move it.
Hopefully it'll be that simple :) I'll implement it and we'll go from there.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Who cares if technically the zombie could or could not see the players? OF COURSE they can see the players! Like duh!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote:Who cares if technically the zombie could or could not see the players? OF COURSE they can see the players! Like duh!
Good point !

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I've missed a bit of the individualized view discussion. I understand how it would work for online games, but what about tabletop games? I run 2 instances of MT on my laptop; DM View and Player View. Will there be a way for me to show individualized views and move through them quickly with only 2 instances of MT running? I'm envisioning that I could select a player token on the DM Screen, and the corresponding view of that token would be displayed on the Player Screen. I'm kind of doing something like that now with the CRTL+Shift+O command now, trying to only reveal the part of the battle.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

trevor

Post by trevor »

There will be a preference to run vision the way it is now so that projector setups will work

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I'm not sure exactly how it works right now. With my setup, it's a lot of steps to change the player view screen to match the view of the current player.

1. Use FOW tool to recover map with FOW.
2. Enable the vision of the token
3. Shift+CRTL+O to reveal that token's view on the main screen.

To switch to the next player, I go back to steps 1, 2, and 3. Repeat

What I'm wondering is if there will be a way for a DM at a tabletop game to select a players token and then have the Player Map show only that tokens view? Since all of the players are using 1 map (the Player View from my laptop), I have to be able to switch player views on the same instance of MT.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Return to “Developer Notes”