MT 1.3b15 update

Progress reports and musings from the developers on the current gaming tools.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Did you have to tell us that much in advance, I won't be able to sleep now in anticipation . . . .
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Sounds awesome trevor, good job!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Heh, you guys crack me up :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Anything to be of service (well, almost anything :shock: )
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Careful Cweord, remember this forum is probably located in the States - you don't want to get done for soliciting... :)

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I thought solicitors were lawyers in your neck of the woods. ;)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I always wondered what the world has against solicitors, I have seen 'No Soliciting' signs in several country's. I mean, I know Lawyers are unpopular - but banning them is going a bit far.
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

To continue the thread derailment...

I was watching the Justice League with my kids the other day and GL was captured and taken to a distant planet where he had to stand trial. The other JLers showed up and Flash asked where GL's lawyer was. The Tribunal said that they had solved the "Lawyer Problem" a long time ago, but if Flash was willing he could act as counsel for GL. So he did. How did they solve the "Lawyer Problem" you ask? When GL was proven guilty and sent to the gas chamber, Flash as his lawyer was sent along as well. :shock: Yup, that would solve the "problem" and certainly reduce the number of bogus court cases to be sure.

ImageImage

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Too bad they stopped production of that show.

On a related note: when I went to buy the SW:EX book I asked if there were any comics for kids these days. Justice League (per the cartoon) is still in production. Sadly, its a pretty small rack of kids comics available. Almost everything is geared for a more adult audience.
Last edited by RPTroll on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

That is partly because Adults are prepared to spend as Serious amount of money on comics.

Unfortunately this is a bit short sighted, as it means Kids don't get in to comics at an early age, so there is less chance they will be interested as adults - so the market gradually dies off (literally)
Cweord

-------
My Tokens Directory

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Yup. This is very true and very sad.

ImageImage

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, back to trevor's comment about saving campaigns as XML... :)

I'll be grabbing the MT source for 1.2 and checking out the code for saving the campaign. Once trevor has the XML code integrated, I'll check to see what might be an easy way to generate XML for 1.2 and then look into writing some XSL to convert from one to the other.

I'm hoping that I can take some load off of trevor so he can continue to work on the "cool stuff". And maybe I can actually contribute back to MT a little bit!

(I have Eclipse installed on my Mac but haven't used it yet. But I'll try configuring the CVS client and grabbing the code tonight.)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:The Connect to Server dialog now has a server list on the RPTools tab of all games that have an RPTools alias. We'll need to figure out a way to make it more useful and be more intuitive how to control people connecting to your server. Right now you put in a password to your server to prevent people from connecting.
You need to put back in a checkbox or something to enable/disable the publishing of your server to RPTools.

While I see that if you leave the server name field empty it doesn't show up on the list it would be better to allow the user to disable the server name field with a checkbox.

This allows the GM to have a standard name for his server that he leaves in the name field all the time but when he is doing a test just on his local lan he can toggle it back to invisible/private mode.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Azhrei wrote:Okay, back to trevor's comment about saving campaigns as XML... :)

I'll be grabbing the MT source for 1.2 and checking out the code for saving the campaign. Once trevor has the XML code integrated, I'll check to see what might be an easy way to generate XML for 1.2 and then look into writing some XSL to convert from one to the other.

I'm hoping that I can take some load off of trevor so he can continue to work on the "cool stuff". And maybe I can actually contribute back to MT a little bit!

(I have Eclipse installed on my Mac but haven't used it yet. But I'll try configuring the CVS client and grabbing the code tonight.)
Excellent news! The Hero Designer software that we use for Hero Characters is built around XML and we have a couple XML exporters already so I'm hoping that we'll be able to use that for InitTool and MT when they get integrated to make character handling a breeze.

ImageImage

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: You need to put back in a checkbox or something to enable/disable the publishing of your server to RPTools.
This was something I've been having an internal debate over.

On the one hand, it's handy having a named server that only your players know about, that you don't have to worry about random people connecting to.

On the other hand, it's trivial to put a password in that also sticks for every run that prevents people from connecting. But has the added benefit of creating a "buzz". It's so much more valuable opening up the tool and seeing 10-15 games running right now, instead of the 2-3 of the people that want to publish their games.

The reason I took it out is that it seems like a small price to pay to add a password to your Start Server dialog for the huge benefit of seeing how much excitement is building around the tool.

Opinions ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Developer Notes”